How competitive is Texas Dental Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshJeann2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, here it is yall. I have been reading through many threads for a very long time and I finally decided to post on here to see my chance to get into Texas school.

I'm a Texas resident, non-traditional student, graduated with 2.61 oGPA majoring Computer Engineering. I have decided to jump into dentistry after 4 years of working in a major company. I have done 100 hours of shadowing over the summer, I also have over 200 hours of volunteering so far but not dental related, mostly at my church. Currently going through Informal Post Bacc, and planning to take all pre-reqs plus upper level science classes (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, molecular biology, biochem 1 and 2, cell bio and so on). Over the summer, taking Gen Chem1, Gen Chem 2, Phys 1, Phys 2, I have aced them all and I'm 100% confident that I will ace rest of the courses since I do not work anymore.

I have taken 2009 Dat test sample posted on ADA website and made 29/30 Gen Chem, 38/40 QR and 82/90 on PAT. I am very confident to make 25+ AA on actual DAT which I will be taking next August after finishing my Ochem, and give myself 3 months to study during summer.

So with a stat of 3.1 oGPA (Very high upward trend, 5 years of 2.6 + last 2 years of 4.0) 3.6 sGPA, 25+AA on DAT, 100 hours of shadowing and 200 hours of volunteering, would I get a shot at Texas schools?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a texas resident, they're reasonably competitive but not overly competitive. You're gonna have to ace the DAT because of youe oGPA and do extremely well in your post bac classes. If you get a 25 like you say you want to, then yeah I think you'd at least get interviews. Are you a URM by chance?

If you're a texas resident, they're reasonably competitive but not overly competitive. You're gonna have to ace the DAT because of youe oGPA and do extremely well in your post bac classes. If you get a 25 like you say you want to, then yeah I think you'd at least get interviews. Are you a URM by chance?
Great to hear! I'm not a URM unfortunately :(. I am hoping to get an interview by acing the DAT but with everyone talking about how competitive the Texas schools are, I am a little bit afraid. I, of course, would apply to private schools as well but those tuition at private schools are o_O!?