how did she get into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by roja

Your statement assumes that students now are academically stronger (or previous students are weaker) and I would wonder how exactly you come to that assumption.

I pointed to the increase in average GPA as proof of the increase in the quality of students.

I would also be curious as to where your information comes from for what used to determine class rank. There is a lot of variation in medical schools and how they grade their students.

Yes there is a lot of variation but since a lot of schools have gone the P/F route, they cannot weigh the basic science years heavily in class rank or else the whole P/F system becomes pointless. I was also told by many competitive schools that use the P/F system that the first 2 years are not weighted heavily in class rank.

I personally went to a school that used an A/B/C/Fail and first and second year pretty much equated 3rd year. (fourth year being mute since you are applying for residency and no one really looks at your fourth year grades..)

Fourth year might not count in residency applications but it is factored into class rank by the time of graduation. A study that compares class rank and MCAT scores would have to factor in all four years to be complete unless it is specifically analyzing one phase of medical education. I would really like a link to the study you are basing your conclusions on.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by indiamacbean
There's a kid in my class at Pitt that had less than a 2.0 gpa from undergrad. He is now near the top of the med school class.

How did ANYONE get into Univ of Pittsburgh with a 2.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA?? Just curious.

Originally posted by jlee9531
i always ask...:rolleyes:
and nowadays i am just nontrusting anyways i dont even go to the pharmacy anymore. just common non prescripts for me!

Like someone who is a physician or pharmacist is going to admit that they had low GPA.....you will never know the truth of the matter unless you go to their school and ask for a transcript on that person and even then, you still won't get it since only a studen't can request transcripts. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
O...and I forgot to mention...My GPA is no where near some of you. However, my GPA is much higher than a 2.0. I do have blemishes on my transcripts as I have mention in other posts. But, I'm going to be right beside the student with the 4.0 or 3.9 GPA with a 30 MCAT score.

My GPA is no reflection of my intelligence. Some classes I was able to get A's in. Others, I was only able to get a B in. I never was a 4.0 student and I would be fooling myself or someone else to think that I should or could even come close to it. I did manage to graduate from MA school with a 4.0 academic honors...but that was because I loved what I was studying, no history and art and music classes, just medical science classes. I do very well in medical science, much better than liberal arts classes. I struggle with math and english classes though I got an A in math and I failed english 101, passed english 102 with a B and was able to skip english 101 because I passed a higher level of english-go figure that, how was I able to pass english 102 with a B but not english 101? I think it was the teacher who must knew that my interest was medicine and tried to make it harder for me than most of the other students.

Anywho, I will prove to those out there that are behind me that if I can do it...so can you. With all that has happened to me in my life and in my academic career, just never give up. That's when you become a failure.

Originally posted by Gbemi24
I pointed to the increase in average GPA as proof of the increase in the quality of students.

Ever heard of grade inflation? Epidemic cheating? "Working the system"? Higher GPA doesn't necessarily equal better students.

Originally posted by cmudan
My friend has an MCAT score of 12 and a 1.1 GPA. She got into U of M because she wore a 2 piece bikini to the interview under her suit. She ripped it off when the interviewer asked "Why do you feel your qualified to enter medical school?"

True story

Wait. She ripped off the business suit or the bathing suit? You lost me with your ill-placed referent.

I am so confused...:confused: :confused:

Oh, and it probably was U of Miami...because the other interviewers wouldn't even know what a bathing suit looked like.

Right?

Originally posted by ewing
Wait. She ripped off the business suit or the bathing suit? You lost me with your ill-placed referent.

I am so confused...:confused: :confused:

Oh, and it probably was U of Miami...because the other interviewers wouldn't even know what a bathing suit looked like.

Right?

the suit bro....
if it was the bathing suit...she be the assistant dean....not a med student....:D

Originally posted by bruinrab
Ever heard of grade inflation? Epidemic cheating? "Working the system"? Higher GPA doesn't necessarily equal better students.

So it is not possible that students are getting better. :confused:
They are either cheating their way to 3.6 GPAs or beating the system and getting high MCATs. Riiiiiight. Board scores have also significantly increased in the past 20 years and that is why they discontinued showing percentiles in 1999. I guess Med students have found a way to beat the system:rolleyes:. I have never understood why past generations find it so hard to give the current generation credit for advancement. Everyone swears that during their time things were tougher. It simply does not stand to reason.

Originally posted by Gbemi24
So it is not possible that students are getting better. :confused:
They are either cheating their way to 3.6 GPAs or beating the system and getting high MCATs. Riiiiiight. Board scores have also significantly increased in the past 20 years and that is why they discontinued showing percentiles in 1999. I guess Med students have found a way to beat the system:rolleyes:. I have never understood why past generations find it so hard to give the current generation credit for advancement. Everyone swears that during their time things were tougher. It simply does not stand to reason.

Calm down buddy. You need to read the whole post rather than just the bits you think you can jump on.

I didn't say that it wasn't possible that med students are smarter than 20 years ago, nor did I say that every med student got there by cheating. As a side-note though, med school is not completely immune from cheating (students get kicked out for it every year -- if they're caught). Neither is the process to get to med school. And cheating doesn't have to be having access to test materials before hand. It can be as simple as withholding review materials from your classmates.

By the way, you failed to address the other two possibilities. Grade inflation is rampant at most schools, to the point that an A really isn't worth that much more than a B at many places. This is a trend that has unquestionably increased over the years -- just ask the people teaching the courses!

And "working the system" can be anything from greater access to MCAT prep to crying to professor to give you a higher grade. There are many people who will complain if they get a grade below what they expect. And I think professors are more likely to heed those complaints now than, say, 20 years ago precisely because of the current pressures of grade inflation.

Do more people have access to MCAT prep? Probably. Look at my undergrad school. They found that for many pre-meds, the MCAT was either keeping them from getting into their first choice, or, in some cases, keeping them out of med school altogether. The school soon had an agreement in place with a local test prep center -- they gave our students a big discount on the course, the school made some money available for "financial aid", gave them teaching space, and pretty much guaranteed a full roster of students. Are our applicants doing better on the MCAT -- you bet.

MCAT prep alone probably doens't account for higher MCATs, but students now tend to be better standardized test-takers. Where test-prep was once a luxury of the elite, even middle class parents today wouldn't dream of letting little Johnny apply for college without taking an SAT prep course. Quite simply, the testing agencies aren't really doing much to stay ahead of the prep companies.

So, to wind up my counter-rant, "better" applicants may or may not actually be better applicants than previous generations. You have to be able to look at arguments for both sides. I'm still undecided about whether we are better than previous generations, but I'm not about to pat my fellow pre-meds on the back without looking to see if they actually deserve it.

:)

My friend has an MCAT score of 12 and a 1.1 GPA. She got into U of M because she wore a 2 piece bikini to the interview under her suit. She ripped it off when the interviewer asked "Why do you feel your qualified to enter medical school?"

True story

LOL :laugh: ..I can't believe this thread is still here.

' My friend has an MCAT score of 12 and a 1.1 GPA. She got into U of M because she wore a 2 piece bikini to the interview under her suit. She ripped it off when the interviewer asked "Why do you feel your qualified to enter medical school?" '

True story

.....damn it........I could've saved so much time and effort.........hysterical.

Originally posted by bruinrab

So, to wind up my counter-rant, "better" applicants may or may not actually be better applicants than previous generations. You have to be able to look at arguments for both sides. I'm still undecided about whether we are better than previous generations, but I'm not about to pat my fellow pre-meds on the back without looking to see if they actually deserve it.

:)

Well from the studies I have seen, prep companies do not significantly influence the performance of the overall testing population. As regards grade inflation, yes there has been rampant grade inflation at certain elite schools but there has also been cut-throat grading at many large state and private schools, particularly in early premed classes, to curb the number of students wanting to get into medical school. In the end I don't think it is grade inflation or testing-expertize that is causing high scores and GPA. It is more likely an infusion of talent into the applicant pool. There are more kids in school today than ever before so they will probably be more talented individuals in academia than ever before.

I don't understand.... can someone just answer WHICH MEDICAL SCHOOL IN THE CARIBBEAN DID SHE GET INTO?