How did you get around the NDS credit limit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmbarber63

Reaction score
I'm at non-traditional pre med planning to start my pre-req coursework fall 2023. My local university has a 8 credit limit for NDS. How did other's fulfill their pre-reqs besides attending a formal post-bacc program? Not sure what my options are.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm at non-traditional pre med planning to start my pre-req coursework fall 2023. My local university has a 8 credit limit for NDS. How did other's fulfill their pre-reqs besides attending a formal post-bacc program? Not sure what my options are.
State your goal to be a Bachelor's in Biology (if that wasn't your previous degree). Continue taking all the classes you need as your pre-med prerequisites until you have finished what you need. You will be working towards that degree, but in reality you probably won't continue on at this college to complete it, if you are accepted to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I wasn’t rushing, so I only took about 8cr a semester anyway. 2 science classes plus lab and working full time. Organic and Biochem I took them alone.

You should follow wysdoc advice though, I also think if you NDS you don’t get financial aid either iirc?

Reactions: 1 user
There’s no downside to declaring a major as med schools don’t expect you to earn another bachelors when you already have one. It will also get you a higher priority registration spot than being nondeclared, so you're more likely to get the classes you need when you want them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the info! This is very helpful. Sounds like I should declare a degree for many reasons.

Just to add on, I'm a nontrad too. I declared a major to get freedom of enrollment. You might have to meet with an advisor and they will give you a suggested schedule to graduate. Just play along and take them to get that registration unlock. They legally can't do anything if you don't enroll in any of the classes they tell you to. Just play the game and go about your day.