How difficult is it to get the HPSP scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youraverageasia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of paper work. If you start it early and dont have any dis-qualifiers youll be fine. Easiest goes Army>Navy>AF. If you have above a 3.5 and a 22AA you can skip alot of the Navy stuff like interviews.

I heard it's pretty difficult. Especially for air force...

Members don't see this ad :)
The AF is the toughest with only like 12 spots nationwide. The navy has around 20 spots, but requires two interviews. I am not so sure about being able to skip the interviews as was mentioned above (I still had to interview). The Army has the most spots and doesn't require any interviews.

It is A LOT of paperwork and takes several months to complete the process.

Lots of paper work. If you start it early and dont have any dis-qualifiers youll be fine. Easiest goes Army>Navy>AF. If you have above a 3.5 and a 22AA you can skip alot of the Navy stuff like interviews.
do you know if the 3.5 only counts for undergrad GPA? Will it count for a Masters GPA?

Unless the poster that said that has recent first-hand personal experience, I do not believe that there is currently any such exemption. I have above a 3.5 and 22 DAT and still had to go through two interviews.

@matty675 I have first hand experience. I received the 4 year army hsps. I withdrew my Navy application after sending it to boards. I was allowed to skip the interviews for Navy because of my stats (3.7, 22AA). Id talk to your recruiter if she told you otherwise.

Is there a reason why the air force is the most competitive in terms of the benefits it provides? and what about the three year scholarships?

@DATtestTho That's weird haha I have already interviewed for the Navy HPSP (with a 22DAT and 3.9), maybe it just varies between recruiters?

The air force is the most competitive because there is such a limited number of spots. The benefits are no different other than the fact that AF doesn't offer the sign on bonus.

Last year there were 70 Army scholarships, about 60 Navy scholarships (20 HSCP) I think, and 8 Air Force with 4 of those Air Force reserved for those in the Academy or already in the Air Force (2 of them go to Penn) - lower numbers because I assume lower demand for dentists in the AF. I'm a D1 with the Army scholarship, but I also went through the Navy process as well and the interview was optional at that time if you had high enough stats (still did it anyway because nothing negative could really come out of it). I know all Army scholarships were out by the first board meeting in January last year, which I assume is similar for the other branches as well. Boards started earlier this year from what I've seen, so the most important thing is to get everything in early. The scholarship is getting much more competitive, probably due to rising COA. As matty675 stated above, all benefits are the same and AF doesn't offer the $20K bonus. You'll probably get nicer locations in the AF but I'm no expert.

Last year there were 70 Army scholarships, about 60 Navy scholarships (20 HSCP) I think, and 8 Air Force with 4 of those Air Force reserved for those in the Academy or already in the Air Force (2 of them go to Penn) - lower numbers because I assume lower demand for dentists in the AF. I'm a D1 with the Army scholarship, but I also went through the Navy process as well and the interview was optional at that time if you had high enough stats (still did it anyway because nothing negative could really come out of it). I know all Army scholarships were out by the first board meeting in January last year, which I assume is similar for the other branches as well. Boards started earlier this year from what I've seen, so the most important thing is to get everything in early. The scholarship is getting much more competitive, probably due to rising COA. As matty675 stated above, all benefits are the same and AF doesn't offer the $20K bonus. You'll probably get nicer locations in the AF but I'm no expert.

I don't think it's necessarily true the AF offers nicer locations. The Army still has bases in Hawaii, Germany, and many other desirable locations. I have a friend in the AF and he is in Ohio so I'm not sure if that is accurate.

From what I've heard, people in the military seem to think the AF is the closest to civilian life (whatever that means). To be honest though, this has been my biggest question is why do so many people find that the AF is "better" than the Army or Navy. Everyone agrees with that statement but most can't explain why. I've heard the AF has nicer facilities but again, this isn't always true.

I don't think it's necessarily true the AF offers nicer locations. The Army still has bases in Hawaii, Germany, and many other desirable locations. I have a friend in the AF and he is in Ohio so I'm not sure if that is accurate.

From what I've heard, people in the military seem to think the AF is the closest to civilian life (whatever that means). To be honest though, this has been my biggest question is why do so many people find that the AF is "better" than the Army or Navy. Everyone agrees with that statement but most can't explain why. I've heard the AF has nicer facilities but again, this isn't always true.

You're not wrong. But there is definitely more of an inclination to AF for healthcare professionals.

From what Ive gathering from the recruiters that I have talked to, is that AF is usually the most desirable because you are rarely deployed to war-zones (hence the small number of spots in the first place). You do not will not be assigned onto a ship for 6 months (which I have been told to have increased to 12 recently).

You literally could be working a 9-5 job, Mon-Fri, living state-side.

Now, it is definitely possible to also be doing that in the Army or Navy. It's jsut not the norm.

@matty675 I have first hand experience. I received the 4 year army hsps. I withdrew my Navy application after sending it to boards. I was allowed to skip the interviews for Navy because of my stats (3.7, 22AA). Id talk to your recruiter if she told you otherwise.

It's not looked down upon to have applications in with multiple branches? I was under the impression that it is.

When did you receive the 4 year? I'm currently working with a recruiter right now to get all my stuff in as early as possible but i had shoulder surgery 5 weeks ago and can't pass a physical yet. He told me not to worry because nobody was selected in the october board and it would be likely that nobody will be selected until the January board. Unfortunately for me, the soonest board i will get is the March board.

When did you receive the 4 year? I'm currently working with a recruiter right now to get all my stuff in as early as possible but i had shoulder surgery 5 weeks ago and can't pass a physical yet. He told me not to worry because nobody was selected in the october board and it would be likely that nobody will be selected until the January board. Unfortunately for me, the soonest board i will get is the March board.

Interesting he told you that because over on the Army 2019 forum there are about 8 people who have received one, myself included. There are plenty of spots though, so just make sure you get everything in!