How do dental schools view multiple DAT attempts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acvdental937

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don’t feel prepared for my DAT and it’s in 2 days. I haven’t been taking enough practice exams.

I’ll likely have to take it again and am contemplating cancelling to take it in another 2 weeks with practice exam practice. I can’t reschedule because the my scheduling deadline is 11/1, so I’d have to pay another $450.

If I do take the exam, I was wondering how multiple attempts are viewed. Do they just look at your highest scores? Is it looked upon negatively to take it multiple times. I’m really nervous so thank you in advance for your answers.

Members don't see this ad.

I felt the EXACT same way as you. I didn't do nearly as much practice as I wanted, but everyone told me to just take it anyway. You will never feel 100% ready for it and you might end up surprising yourself! I'm pretty sure most schools look at your most recent attempt but I would definitely check with the schools you want to apply to. Good luck!!:)

Reactions: 1 users
Schools will see every attempt that you make, it is best to do well 1 time; if you do “ok” and then re-test and don’t improve on the scores that could be problematic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think multiple attempts are looked upon all too favorably because there are many other applicants that have taken it once and gotten it out of the way. So, I wouldn't take it multiple times if you can help it. As for your second-ish question, it depends on the school - some might average your scores out, some look at the highest scores, and some look at your most recent scores. One of @doc toothache 's guides has this information, but I can't remember which one it was.

I got a 17 on a practice exam a week before my real exam. My real score ended up being a 24. Don't let practice exams psych you out. Just go over the content that I'm sure you have already spent forever studying for. You will be fine. I think historically people generally do better on the real exam than the practice.