How do I become a neurosurgeon?

Sellersrobe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a high school freshman. I have heard that I shouldn't focus on a career now, but I am sure this is what I want to do. Are there any majors that would be best in college? And what are the best colleges for a medical undergrad? I read Pre-Med major has awful scores on the MCATs. I currently have a 4.1 GPA and am doing quite well, I volunteer, am finally a black belt, and almost an Eagle Scout. Will this be an advantage getting into college? Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

To become a neurosurgeon, get into the best research school you can. Major in whatever, but get some science research under your belt. Crush the MCAT. Keep your GPA high. Get into medical school. Excel in medical school. Perform neuroscience research in medical school. Destroy the boards. Do extremely well on your rotations. Then apply to neurosurgery residency. Perform well on your interviews. Ta-da, neurosurgeon. It's that easy!

Reactions: 11 users
Hi there - here's the path you need to take:

1. Do well enough in high school to get into a decent 4 year university. Where you go does not matter nearly as much as how you do in college. You should start exploring college options junior year (maybe late sophomore year depending on your school, but I didn't really know anything about college my junior year).

2. Do well in college - a good threshold is to try to maintain at least a 3.7 GPA. Once you have the hang of college academics, start exploring your interest in medicine by shadowing, working with patients, and doing research. Also make sure to take the core premed classes like physics, chemistry, biology, etc.

3. Do well on the MCAT. Don't even start thinking about this until you're at least a sophomore in college.

4. Apply to medical school. Don't worry about this until after you take the MCAT.

5. Do well enough in medical school to match into a neurosurgical residency. Now, this step is at least a decade down the line for you, so I'm not even going to try giving you advice about it now - come back later and we'll talk.

6. Do a 7 year neurosurgical residency and get board certified in neurosurgery.

7. Be a neurosurgeon.

You're probably 14 or 15 years old right now. You won't become a fully fledged neurosurgeon until at least your 30s - more than your life over again.

For right now, focus on doing well in high school, enjoying yourself, and growing up. With pathways as long as this, it's best to take things one step at a time. Concentrate on what you need to do next, and then repeat once that's accomplished.

Moving to hSDN

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I Are there any majors that would be best in college?
No
And what are the best colleges for a medical undergrad?
The same one's that are good for anything else, the prestigious ones. However many people get into medical school from non-prestigious schools.

I volunteer, am finally a black belt, and almost an Eagle Scout. Will this be an advantage getting into college?
It will at least be a talking point if it's a school that interviews. but I'm too far out from college to give good advice on this otherwise.

I am currently a high school freshman. I have heard that I shouldn't focus on a career now, but I am sure this is what I want to do. Are there any majors that would be best in college? And what are the best colleges for a medical undergrad? I read Pre-Med major has awful scores on the MCATs. I currently have a 4.1 GPA and am doing quite well, I volunteer, am finally a black belt, and almost an Eagle Scout. Will this be an advantage getting into college? Thanks for all the help!

Keep your mind open, explore other interests, choose a major that excites you even if it isn't science-related, attend a college that you think will let you be happy and therefor productive, find a medical school that is similarly supportive of your goals. Do things other than try to become a neurosurgeon, because passionless people don't do well in neurosurgery.

I went to Arizona State for college and studied dance, did research on bugs, and sang a lot. I did plenty of neurosurgery research in medical school, but also performed in 10 plays and worked every weekend I could in a primary care free clinic. I won clinician of the year award there and I am more proud of that than any publication I wrote. You can have more than one passion, it will make you a better doctor whether or not you end up being a neurosurgeon.

Reactions: 6 users
wow black belt and eagle scout. GJ, very small % of people get either of those !! :greedy: good gpa too:wow:!

How do you know you want to become a neurosurgeon though? Your parents are one, and influenced your decision? You saw a documentary?

1. Do well enough in high school to get into a decent 4 year university. Where you go does not matter nearly as much as how you do in college. You should start exploring college options junior year (maybe late sophomore year depending on your school, but I didn't really know anything about college my junior year).

2. Do well in college - a good threshold is to try to maintain at least a 3.7 GPA. Once you have the hang of college academics, start exploring your interest in medicine by shadowing, working with patients, and doing research. Also make sure to take the core premed classes like physics, chemistry, biology, etc.

3. Do well on the MCAT. Don't even start thinking about this until you're at least a sophomore in college.

4. Apply to medical school. Don't worry about this until after you take the MCAT.

5. Do well enough in medical school to match into a neurosurgical residency. Now, this step is at least a decade down the line for you, so I'm not even going to try giving you advice about it now - come back later and we'll talk.

7. Be a neurosurgeon.

You're probably 14 or 15 years old right now. You won't become a fully fledged neurosurgeon until at least your 30s - more than your life over again.

For right now, focus on doing well in high school, enjoying yourself, and growing up. With pathways as long as this, it's best to take things one step at a time. Concentrate on what you need to do next, and then repeat once that's accomplished.

Moving to hSDN

Pretty much said it all here, but I would my 2 cents to it...
1) Score as high as possible in every exam and SAT. (Try to get into a well known university - preferably a 7/8 year medical program) This means getting LORs, volunteering, and getting shadowing experience early.
2) AGREE
3) NO JOKE
4) TRUE ... unless you get into a 7/8 year program
5) >250 STEP scores (Dont worry about this now)
6) years upon years...... Dont worry
7) finally....

If you are set on this now, do hard work and apply to 7/8 year programs. If not, study hard and decide in college.

Good luck bud!

i

7. Be a neurosurgeon.

Moving to hSDN

Is the neurosurgical residency 8 total? Or does it depend on the program?

Another note on being a neurosurgeon. DO NOT GET INTO TROUBLE in college, I have seen so many people upset on this forum because they did something stupid. One in particular, when a particular accepted medical school student received a DUI after his acceptance. He was worried about the consequences, I'm not sure whatever happened. Just remember to have fun, but don't get in trouble. That's a great tip I don't think I've seen anyone mention.

Reactions: 1 users
i

Is the neurosurgical residency 8 total? Or does it depend on the program?

No, it's 7 years total. Intern year + 2 junior years + 2 research years + 1 senior year + chief year (average setup - some places do it differently and the order, esp where they put the research years, varies a lot). Then you can do 1-2 year fellowships. Some programs let you do fellowships during your research years, but its often looked down upon, especially by heavily academic programs (which is most of them).

Reactions: 1 user
No, it's 7 years total. Intern year + 2 junior years + 2 research years + 1 senior year + chief year (average setup - some places do it differently and the order, esp where they put the research years, varies a lot). Then you can do 1-2 year fellowships. Some programs let you do fellowships during your research years, but its often looked down upon, especially by heavily academic programs (which is most of them).

Times are changing, with the standardization of the residency length to 7 years there is increasing pressure from the senior society t allow for in folded fellowships. CAST certified fellowship training is being increasingly acknowledged for in-folded fellowships, with the one major holdout being Pediatric Neurosurgery.

Reactions: 1 user
wow black belt and eagle scout. GJ, very small % of people get either of those !! :greedy: good gpa too:wow:!

How do you know you want to become a neurosurgeon though? Your parents are one, and influenced your decision? You saw a documentary?
I like to do the hardest things that I can do and I have accomplished all of them. So I either want to be a neurosurgeon or a Navy SEAL.

I like to do the hardest things that I can do and I have accomplished all of them. So I either want to be a neurosurgeon or a Navy SEAL.

Okay, I know that you're such a long ways out from this (literally over a decade from needing to even have decided), but I'm going to give you some advice anyway.

I understand where you're coming from. I really really really do. I was there. Heck, I still might be there. But this is a terrible reason for wanting to become a neurosurgeon. Once you become a doctor, your actions have direct and enormous effects on other people. You will be enduring days/weeks/months that are much harder than anything you could have imagined up until this point. And you will be doing that for a long time. A very long time. Neurosurgery residency is as long as middle school and high school combined. 7 years. And that's just residency. There has to be a driving force other than "this is hard so let's do it". However, the nice thing about wanting to be a neurosurgeon (one of them, anyway) is that you have literally an infinite number of chances to do something else. I know you have no way of knowing this yet (and to be perfectly honest, I don't either).

Here is what I am going to recommend:

1. As you grow up, go through high school, college, medical school, look for things that you like. Look really really hard. Like as hard as you can. See if you can find something else, anything else that you find engaging - that you can do for the rest of your life. Give things an honest shot, not just "oh okay I considered it next". If you get to the point where you're a 3rd/4th year medical student and you've found nothing that seems like it fits you as well as being a neurosurgeon, then that is the point where you decide, knowing that it is the only thing you can find that you want to do. This is not advice from me - just advice given to my by a very wise mentor and advice that I've been continuing to take to heart.

2. Read the book "When the Air Hits Your Brain" By Dr. Frank Vertosick. I think you'll like it.

Reactions: 3 users
Go look up Dr.Q..
An illegal farmhand, goes to night school, transfers to berkely, gets into Harvard med, is now a well known leader in neurosurgery

What is my point? If you dedicate yourself enough you can be anything.

So my main tip that nobody else covered; When you apply to a college don't go to college known for grade depreciation. It will make going to med school much harder.

Okay, I know that you're such a long ways out from this (literally over a decade from needing to even have decided), but I'm going to give you some advice anyway.

I understand where you're coming from. I really really really do. I was there. Heck, I still might be there. But this is a terrible reason for wanting to become a neurosurgeon. Once you become a doctor, your actions have direct and enormous effects on other people. You will be enduring days/weeks/months that are much harder than anything you could have imagined up until this point. And you will be doing that for a long time. A very long time. Neurosurgery residency is as long as middle school and high school combined. 7 years. And that's just residency. There has to be a driving force other than "this is hard so let's do it". However, the nice thing about wanting to be a neurosurgeon (one of them, anyway) is that you have literally an infinite number of chances to do something else. I know you have no way of knowing this yet (and to be perfectly honest, I don't either).

Here is what I am going to recommend:

1. As you grow up, go through high school, college, medical school, look for things that you like. Look really really hard. Like as hard as you can. See if you can find something else, anything else that you find engaging - that you can do for the rest of your life. Give things an honest shot, not just "oh okay I considered it next". If you get to the point where you're a 3rd/4th year medical student and you've found nothing that seems like it fits you as well as being a neurosurgeon, then that is the point where you decide, knowing that it is the only thing you can find that you want to do. This is not advice from me - just advice given to my by a very wise mentor and advice that I've been continuing to take to heart.

2. Read the book "When the Air Hits Your Brain" By Dr. Frank Vertosick. I think you'll like it.

Agree with the above. Things will change as you get older and you may realize that once you get into medical school that a surgical career isn't for you after all. This is ok-it happens quite frequently. People get married and may have kids by the time they're in med school and then their career choices will be much different taking their spouses/kids into account. I have seen a LOT of people jump the gun and declare that they're going into Neurosurgery way before they even have a clue about what it's really like to go through the long training process to get there. There's nothing wrong with that but once people start to explore other specialties in med school most of them will actually change their minds. How well you do in med school will also make a difference in your chances of getting into Neurosurgery, but that's way ahead of time from now.