How do I calculate my GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arv39

Reaction score
The plan is to finally apply to medical school next year but my gpa is all over the place as I was sick for a while and had drop down to part time. For example:

2015 Fall
  • F
  • A
  • D
  • B- (pre algebra)
2016 Spring
  1. A
  2. A
  3. C- (Algebra 1)
  4. A
  5. B+
  6. C
2016 Summer Session 1
  1. A
  2. A
2016 Summer session 2
  1. A-
2016 Fall
  1. F
  2. B-
  3. A
2017 Spring
  1. D (statistics)
2017 Fall
  1. C (Nutrition listed under biology)
2018 Spring
  1. C (statistics)
2019 Spring
  1. D
2019 Fall
  1. D (one credit course)
I have 3 full semesters and a summer semester until I graduate (Fall 2020) so that's where I'll be squeezing all the prerequisites in.. Im sure things look bad don't they? and yes I know I suck at math :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The plan is to finally apply to medical school next year but my gpa is all over the place as I was sick for a while and had drop down to part time. For example:

2015 Fall
  • F
  • A
  • D
  • B- (pre algebra)
2016 Spring
  1. A
  2. A
  3. C- (Algebra 1)
  4. A
  5. B+
  6. C
2016 Summer Session 1
  1. A
  2. A
2016 Summer session 2
  1. A-
2016 Fall
  1. F
  2. B-
  3. A
2017 Spring
  1. D (statistics)
2017 Fall
  1. C (Nutrition listed under biology)
2018 Spring
  1. C (statistics)
2019 Spring
  1. D
2019 Fall
  1. D (one credit course)
I have 3 full semesters and a summer semester until I graduate (Fall 2020) so that's where I'll be squeezing all the prerequisites in.. Im sure things look bad don't they? and yes I know I suck at math :(
To maximize your chances I would not apply with those grades. You need to show a history of good grades or a very strong upward trend.

To maximize your chances I would not apply with those grades. You need to show a history of good grades or a very strong upward trend.
As a potential applicant, would it be too late to apply in august? What month would be the latest? Im of course aiming to get excellent grades fall semester, spring semester and take a couple science courses in the summer hopefully that will boost my gpa, then apply. I really don't want to postpone any longer as I've had to delay my degree for a while now :/

As many have said on this forum, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Assuming you get all A's the rest of the way, what will be your GPAs? What is your MCAT score? What are your extracurriculars?

Based on the grades you've shared your GPA seems as though it will be too low to offer much chance at an acceptance. I haven't calculated it, but based on the fact that you have a few Fs and D's, I'd say your GPA is probably a fair bit below 3.0. Check it on a calculator to be sure. That doesn't mean your road is over. I have 2 Fs and a D on my transcript and at the end of my post bacc I'll have brought my GPA up to a 3.4+

Additionally it seems as though you don't have a positive trend for your GPA. I'd strongly recommend for you to continue taking classes after your degree. 3-4 semesters worth of all As, with several upper level sciences courses will go a long way towards repairing your GPA and helping to increase your chances of acceptance.

You don't need to delay your graduation. You can take courses as a post-bac student.

If you're worried about being "too old" or something, no need for that. Med schools regularly accept applicants in their 30s and 40s, and many of us on this forum are at least late 20s.

How does the rest of your app look? What are your ECs like?

Based on the grades you've shared your GPA seems as though it will be too low to offer much chance at an acceptance. I haven't calculated it, but based on the fact that you have a few Fs and D's, I'd say your GPA is probably a fair bit below 3.0. Check it on a calculator to be sure. That doesn't mean your road is over. I have 2 Fs and a D on my transcript and at the end of my post bacc I'll have brought my GPA up to a 3.4+

Additionally it seems as though you don't have a positive trend for your GPA. I'd strongly recommend for you to continue taking classes after your degree. 3-4 semesters worth of all As, with several upper level sciences courses will go a long way towards repairing your GPA and helping to increase your chances of acceptance.

You don't need to delay your graduation. You can take courses as a post-bac student.

If you're worried about being "too old" or something, no need for that. Med schools regularly accept applicants in their 30s and 40s, and many of us on this forum are at least late 20s.

How does the rest of your app look? What are your ECs like?
I go to a small female liberal arts college (Baypath University) and unfortunately there isn’t much to offer here.

shadowing:
pediatric clinic
Children’s hospital
Neuro Unit
Psychiatrist

Research internship with presentation board of collected data at hospital.

Love your lemons (volunteer at children’s hospital)

Work as a cna.

Honestly I’ve struggled so much over the past few years. I just want to move on with my life and finally start this next chapter of my life.

I go to a small female liberal arts college (Baypath University) and unfortunately there isn’t much to offer here.

shadowing:
pediatric clinic
Children’s hospital
Neuro Unit
Psychiatrist

Research internship with presentation board of collected data at hospital.

Love your lemons (volunteer at children’s hospital)

Work as a cna.

Honestly I’ve struggled so much over the past few years. I just want to move on with my life and finally start this next chapter of my life.

Well, the #1 thing you can do to start this next chapter is to get straight As from here on out. Put your classes into the GPA calculator, then take that GPA and go to a site like back2college and see how many credits at a 4.0 it will take to raise your GPA to like a 3.0. That will get you past the auto screen at most schools. Then do the same thing for a 3.4. I highly, highly recommend getting to a 3.4+ if at all possible before applying. You want to be above the 10th percentile of accepted applicants at most schools and that will get you there.

Remember, if you're not getting straight As you're just making it even harder to get in... So your best bet is to take as long as you need to become a competitive applicant. Your goal is an acceptance, not to be the first one to apply. By improving your undergrad GPA you are making progress towards your goal of starting the next chapter of your life.

Just make sure to use a weighted GPA Calculator, like this one. Not sure if the previous recommendation was weighted or not.