How Do I look? cGPA:3.50 sGPA: 3.42 MCAT:24

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newjersey2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I am thinking about applying this upcoming cycle to an Osteopathic medical program. I am a little curious as to where I stand right now (especially with my MCAT), and if I should hold off until applying next year?

Currently: I am dual enrolled with a BS in Biology and BS in Psychology. I am an EMT-B (NJ) with roughly 600 volunteer hours total for the past few years. I shadowed an anesthesiologist (DO) for 20 hours and got a letter of recommendation from him. I also have a Health Profession Committee letter from my university. I have been told my personal statement is very strong and original.

as stated in the title:
cGPA: 3.50
sGPA: 3.42
in-major Biology: 3.64
in-major psychology: 3.76
MCAT: 24 (7p/9v/8b)

I also have a very strong upward trend:
Freshman year: 3.2
Sophomore year: 3.6
Junior year: 3.84
Senior year: ~3.80

I am a NJ resident.

I would be applying on June 1st to pretty much most of the osteopathic medical schools. Though, PCOM, NSU, and UMDNJ-SOM are my top choices if I was given the option.

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT is a tad low, but you have good GPA's so that does "balance" your stats to an extent. My advice: apply AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE, and consider re-taking the MCAT as well. If you get your new MCAT score after you've applied to a few schools, and it is higher, then simply update them/your application with this new score. Honestly, I think you will be fine as long as you apply as early as possible and as broadly as possible.

Chances are solid, apply broadly though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies! I will probably focus on taking the mcat again while I am applying. What schools specifically should I aim for?

MCAT is quite low. GPAs around average. Apply very early for best chances. Umdnj-som is possible since you're in-state. PCOM unlikely. NSU probably unlikely. Look at newer schools.

Curious as to why you said PCOM is unlikely? These stats seem about right for PCOM.

I would say, chances are slim! However you may want to talk to the admission directors (in person) with your portfolio! That way they don't just ignore your application and you get the right advice!

Personal advice: study for one month, get Mcat above 26, and you would be fine for sure.

I would say, chances are slim! However you may want to talk to the admission directors (in person) with your portfolio! That way they don't just ignore your application and you get the right advice!

Personal advice: study for one month, get Mcat above 26, and you would be fine for sure.

:thumbdown:

I predict at least 10 interviews if they apply broadly.

Q. Who attends PCOM?
A: In 2012, the entering D.O. Class of 2016 consisted of 268 first-time students from different colleges and states. The average class GPA was 3.46, the science GPA was 3.37 and the mean MCAT score was 28. Students averaged 23 years of age with a range from 21 to 39; 49 percent are women and 18 percent are under-represented minorities.

I was merely basing it off of GPA, obviously MCAT score is under average, but would this really be out of question?

I'm not arguing btw, just looking to gain more insight

As I far as I know, pcom really puts weight on the Mcat, that's why, in my opinion, if the Mcat number is higher, it would be better!

As I far as I know, pcom really puts weight on the Mcat, that's why, in my opinion, if the Mcat number is higher, it would be better!

Yeah, had some friends who only had 26 MCAT with similar stats and they didn't get into PCOM.

I don't understand why people ask about their chances. Just look at the average matriculant stats for each school. Those will give you the most realistic metric of what's expected. If you're able to match those, apply early and interview well, you will probably get in.

Because what if you are above average in one stat, and below in another? What if your stats suck, but you have unique ECs, or vice versa? Lots of variables come into play.

Not really. Some statistics weigh more heavily than others. And no amount of "unique ECs" are going to compensate for that. MCAT and GPA are certainly the most important..

If you have average applicant stats then ECs/LORs/interviews will get you in.

I wouldn't put my faith in intangibles. While it may work, it certainly isn't as reliable as improving the most important components of the application..

PCOM is known for being MCAT sluts (same goes for CCOM, AZCOM) so i would say your chances there are slim.
you are slightly below average stats wise, but applying early/ECs/essays/LOR can help make up for that.
make sure you apply BROADLY as well
i wouldn't say you are competitive, but you aren't SOL
I suggest adding urself to the underdawg thread and looking at last years thread for some ideas about where to apply.
good luck!

:thumbdown:

you realize that giving ppl false hope isn't helpful right?

I know right? We keep telling him this and he doesn't listen. Is there any way to ban him?

you guys are splitting hairs. 7 interviews, 9 interviews, 12 interviews, whatever, point is this person will have enough to get in!!!

3.00+/3.00+/23+ & broad application = a shot of getting into a DO school somewhere. UD thread, mdapplicants, and school specific threads speak for themselves.

you guys are splitting hairs. 7 interviews, 9 interviews, 12 interviews, whatever, point is this person will have enough to get in!!!

3.00+/3.00+/23+ & broad application = a shot of getting into a DO school somewhere. UD thread, mdapplicants, and school specific threads speak for themselves.

Even if you are kind of over the top by saying OP will have 10 interview invites, I agree with you that OP stats are acceptable and will likely get 2-3 acceptances if OP apply early, strategically, and broadly. Also, 3.0 c/sGPA and 23-25 with acceptances are outliers. You should not tell people that they will have a fair shot with these stats. Since the average stats of people admitted to DO schools are 3.46+/3.35+ c/sGPA and 26.6 mcat, people with 3.0-3.2 c/sGPA need and an above average mcat score (28+) to have a fair shot.

Last edited: