How do I mend my application for dentist schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livenitup

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I am currently in my fourth year of undergraduate with a 2.2 gpa cumulative gpa and less than 2 science gpa. I was thinking of taking a fifth year so I can increase my gpa for a post bacC which mostly require a 3.0 but by the end of the fourth year I won't be close to a + 3.0, So, Im not really sure if I can do a post bacc:/
Unfortunately, I need to retake orgo for a third time and biology. Would it be wise to do it here in undergrad or would it look bad to DDM schools? Im really trying to do my best so I can improve my application. I was hoping to apply for DDM schools later on but I really wanna know if post baccs are better than a DIY post bacc. Either way, I will probably have to retake orgo 1 and intro to bio and then take upper level division courses for the first time. I really want to know if this career path is good for me

any advice is appreciated. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are you applying to dental school or medical school?

options are open, but dental school is a also a good option

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in my fourth year of undergraduate with a 2.2 gpa cumulative gpa and less than 2 science gpa. I was thinking of taking a fifth year so I can increase my gpa for a post bacC which mostly require a 3.0 but by the end of the fourth year I won't be close to a + 3.0, So, Im not really sure if I can do a post bacc:/
Unfortunately, I need to retake orgo for a third time and biology. Would it be wise to do it here in undergrad or would it look bad to DDM schools? Im really trying to do my best so I can improve my application. I was hoping to apply for DDM schools later on but I really wanna know if post baccs are better than a DIY post bacc. Either way, I will probably have to retake orgo 1 and intro to bio and then take upper level division courses for the first time. I really want to know if this career path is good for me

any advice is appreciated. thanks
I'm going to be real with you. It will take 3-4 years to even bring your GPA up to 3.0. You will quite literally need to get a 4.0 that entire time (3 years of 2.0 + 3 years of 4.0 = 3.0 GPA). Based on your past performance I really, really doubt that will happen. You are a longshot for any health professions school. Just being honest. I'd look for other career avenues.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 3 users
I'm going to be real with you. It will take 3-4 years to even bring your GPA up to 3.0. You will quite literally need to get a 4.0 that entire time (3 years of 2.0 + 3 years of 4.0 = 3.0 GPA). Based on your past performance I really, really doubt that will happen. You are a longshot for any health professions school. Just being honest. I'd look for other career avenues.

Big Hoss
Well, its still possible

Big Hoss is being honest. Did you just recently decide you want to go into healthcare? You also seem unsure of what you want to do in healthcare. If money is a motivator don't waste your time. If you really want to be in healthcare I would take a gap year and shadow some physicians and shadow some dentist, and nurses, and PA and find out what you want because you seem very unsure. After you have decided you gotta do a 3-4 year post bacc and you will literally need to get straight A's and take upper level classes that are worth a lot of credits in order to bump your GPA. To be honest after those 4 years you will need to have an extraordinary application to get into MD school. DO schools is not easy either, you will be competing with students with 3.0-3.5 gpa which in my opinion can still be very competitive.

Dental School is getting increasingly competitive each year like medical school. I think 3-4 years ago the average accepted DAT was 18 but a couple of admissions representatives at a couple schools have said it looks like it will be around a 20 this year and may increase in next couple years. You can still apply with a 3.0 and you will need a stellar GPA. But you will need to show amazing growth in your application to be considered. Reason being, your gpa is a predictor on how you will do in their science classes and your DAT will be a predictor on how you do on the boards, i think, they don't want students that look like they will lower their stats or will need to be spoon fed.

I would recommend you take a year to explore which field you want to be in and work your butt off to get to it. It is easier to switch from pre-med to pre-dental but not as easy to switch from pre-med to pre-dental. Reason being, medical schools look more heavily at clinical hours and research than most dental schools do.

Pharmacy may be an option. If you can get a 2.8+ you can get into a bunch of pharmacy schools.

Well, good luck. You have a long bumpy road ahead of you. But if you want it bad enough you can get there.

Reactions: 3 users
do not feed this troll

Reactions: 1 user
i agree with big hoss. yes you could do it but it will take a LOT of time and money (i mean 10s of thousands of dollars). you probably need more undergrad classes then a post bac and then probably a master and on top of it would have to kill your DAT. again its possible but its unlikely given past performance