how do post bac classes work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmspec01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad GPA is pretty bad (2.6) but I'm not letting it kill my hopes of getting into medical school. I recently learned about postbacs, and just need some help understanding. I don't think I would be able to get accepted into a formal program which is fine, but regardless of if I do a formal program will any classes I take after i earn my bachelors degree affect my undergrad GPA? I do I have to do a specialized program for it to boost my GPA?

Basically, if I just retook all the prereqs that I didn't do so hot in at a local university (and do well in them) will this increase my GPA and make me a better candidate for med school?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to do a post-bacc through a formal program. DIY is just fine. Post-bacc grades will be calculated into your undergrad GPA.

You don't have to do a post-bacc through a formal program. DIY is just fine. Post-bacc grades will be calculated into your undergrad GPA.

So if i just take random classes at a local college then that's fine?

So if i just take random classes at a local college then that's fine?

Yes, might be useful to make sure the course names and descriptions match up because my post bacc classes that I tried to replace my C with was counted as an additional course in post bacc rather than replacing my undergrad, even though the title is CELL AND MOLECULAR biology at both schools, the same number of units, and equal course descriptions

Reactions: 1 user