How do u know if it's for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustD0it

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to see if this had been covered but I didn't find any other thread. Soooooo....

How do you know if dentistry is for you?

How do u know if you will like the material you read? or if you will be able to endure bending over patients all day?

What is the best way to find out if it is for you?

Thanx :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best way to find out if it is for you?

The best way to know is to shadow or even assist with a dentist for a period of time. The experience that you will gain is amazing because it put you in a direct perspective in the life of a dentist. You will be able to observe the ups and downs in dentistry and be able to see how the dentist handles different types of situation. You can also discuss any issues and concerns about dentistry with the dentist. I believe this experience will enable you to get a good idea whether dentistry is for you.

What is the best way to find a dentist to shadow?

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to find a hospital in your area with a dental clinic. See if you can volunteer there.

Most schools will have a pre-dental society, as my school does, and this is uasually a good source of shadowing information.

What is the first thing that you notice on a person? Ok think really hard if someone you never knew walked up to you and said "Hi". If you answered teeth, then dentistry is for you!

Ok, so that is maybe not a sure way to tell but it is a step in that direction. Pick up your yellow pages and shadow atleast 3 dentists. They all work different and I would say get atleast 10-15 hours exposure at each one. Go in on a fri for 3 hours or what ever time permits.

Best of luck to you!

Originally posted by JustD0it
What is the best way to find a dentist to shadow?

What I did was to look in the yellow pages of the phonebook and call them or visit them as well as to drop off my resume.

Originally posted by JustD0it
I tried to see if this had been covered but I didn't find any other thread. Soooooo....

How do you know if dentistry is for you?

I said to myself, "What field would I dislike the least?" :laugh: