How do you become a U. S. Navy Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If im a 40 year old premed student, assuming I get accepted to medical school, do I still have a shot at landing a commission to Ensign as a U.S. Navy doctor? Do I still have time?

Do I have to enlist as a Seaman first? I’ve talked to a recruiter, but it was hazy at best.

Does anybody know?

Members don't see this ad.

Been awhile, but I don't think military will enlist anyone over 35. You would have to apply to one of their programs to become a doc. Check the military sub forum for more info

From the website Medicine and the Military:

"AGE
To join the Military, you have to be at least 18 years old (17 with parental consent). As for the upper age limit, it depends on the Service and the program:

• Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP): 36 (for the Navy, you can be no older than 42 at the time you enter Active Duty, following your degree completion—unless you were granted an age waiver when you were recruited)
  • Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine (USUHS): 36
  • Army, Army Reserve and Army National Guard: 42
  • Navy and Navy Reserve: 64
  • Air Force: 48
  • Air Force Reserve: 47
  • Air National Guard: 47
Age waivers are available, but they depend on your skills and the Military's needs."

Members don't see this ad :)
From the website Medicine and the Military:

"AGE
To join the Military, you have to be at least 18 years old (17 with parental consent). As for the upper age limit, it depends on the Service and the program:

• Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP): 36 (for the Navy, you can be no older than 42 at the time you enter Active Duty, following your degree completion—unless you were granted an age waiver when you were recruited)
  • Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine (USUHS): 36
  • Army, Army Reserve and Army National Guard: 42
  • Navy and Navy Reserve: 64
  • Air Force: 48
  • Air Force Reserve: 47
  • Air National Guard: 47
Age waivers are available, but they depend on your skills and the Military's needs."

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I definitely would not assume you are too old to be commissioned as a medical officer in the Navy (as shown by popelton's post). I'd also keep HPSP and USUHS as options, especially if you are intent on serving. I had assumed I was too old for USUHS my first application cycle (I would have been 39) and didn't apply. During my second cycle (after I hadn't gotten into any schools), someone put me in touch with someone at USUHS who told me to apply. I ended up getting accepted into a Navy slot at 40, though eventually decided to matriculate to another school.

And just for some clarification, enlisting as a seaman is a completely separate route from commissioning as an officer. And once you become a doctor, you will start out as a lieutenant (O-3) and not an ensign.

Reactions: 1 users
Do I have to enlist as a Seaman first? I’ve talked to a recruiter, but it was hazy at best.

Enlisting and commissioning are completely different. If you do HPSP or USUHS, you will commission as an ensign and then go to Officer Development School. It is 5 weeks and is kind like a summer camp version of boot camp. You will be an ensign for your 4 years of medical school and then promote to Lieutenant upon graduation.

Your military duties in med school depend on whether you go HPSP or USUHS. In HPSP, you basically have zero except for your active duty training periods, which amounts to 45 days per year of paid active duty time. At USUHS, you will wear a uniform every day you’re on campus (lectures are not mandatory with the exception of certain ones, so you don’t always have to be on campus) and will have to complete annual things like the PRT and your “don’t rape your classmates” training.

-Attend ODS and become LT (O-3) upon graduating.

Just to clarify in case it's confusing to anyone, you should not wait until graduating to attend ODS, as it may delay you starting GME. The sooner you can go to ODS, the better--i.e., before you start M1 or in the summer between M1 and M2.

Also, you don't have to wait until you have an acceptance to start working with a Navy recruiter. They can get your packet all together and have your medical paperwork boarded and cleared before you get an acceptance so that you can just submit the whole thing when you finally do.

Otherwise, good summary.