8_man

Achievement Unlocked: Dental School
2+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Hey so I'm in the midst of memorizing a cookbook on how to make some delicious triple chocolate chip brownies. I've employed some of my old study techniques in an attempt to recite each step to a tee, but it's not working so well. The recipe is about 2 and a quarter pages long in size 11 font, and I'm guessing the text is in Helvetica, but I'm not too sure. Anyways, I've made a few quizlet decks to map out each step but the process is awfully time consuming and the brownies have already caught on fire as we speak. I'm gonna go put it out, but before I do, I'd like to ask...

What study methods do you folks use? Thanks brb

Last edited:

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I'd believe you if you didn't tell me that you eat cup noodles all the time

About the Ads

ArabBagel

2+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Luckily we get our cooking lectures recorded online, so i'll review document each step to the teaspoon on an outline. I'll also use quizlet and also my classmates share notes on our class google drive on their cooking techniques. Try n see if ur classmates also collaborate. Best of luck on the brownies!

Fets

D3
2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2015
Status
Dental Student
This kind of sounds like a metaphor for dental school...

But yeah I just use repetition. Read it or write it over and over.

Reactions: 8_man
OP
8_man

8_man

2+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Luckily we get our cooking lectures recorded online, so i'll review document each step to the teaspoon on an outline. I'll also use quizlet and also my classmates share notes on our class google drive on their cooking techniques. Try n see if ur classmates also collaborate. Best of luck on the brownies!
Thanks man i'll bring up the idea of recorded cooking lectures to our dean of student affairs.

What's the point of this?
Study tips!

This kind of sounds like a metaphor for dental school...

But yeah I just use repetition. Read it or write it over and over.
U caught me. And thanks for the input!

Reactions: ArabBagel

Noice

Dental Student
May 3, 2017
Status
Dental Student
I've had way too many A+ brownies with 6 or 7 ingredients to ever invest in a 2 1/2 page recipe.

Unfortunately, no such alternative exists to practice dentistry.
so we have to buy the 2 1/2 page dentist recipe then? :(

OP
8_man

8_man

2+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2016
Status
Dental Student
I call bs.
if these brownies are so delicious, why didnt you send it to everyone on sdn??
The cookbook description said so, but unfortunately i burned them to an ashy crisp :^(

I've had way too many A+ brownies with 6 or 7 ingredients to ever invest in a 2 1/2 page recipe.

Unfortunately, no such alternative exists to practice dentistry.
Can u post that list of ingredients? Much appreciated :^)

Yeah i think so. Try check on amazon, they got some good deals there

Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat

ProspectivePostPreDent

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Yeah, but look on the bright side: if you double the recipe, you end up with two degrees. I believe auntie Laura used to call that recipe "OMFS".
Can u post that list of ingredients? Much appreciated :^)
1 cup butter, melted
3 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
2. Combine the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, until thoroughly blended.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl. Gradually stir flour mixture into the egg mixture until blended. Stir in the chocolate morsels. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish.
4. Bake in preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove, and cool pan on wire rack before cutting.
5. Buy larger pants.

artist2022

yes, I'm a girl
2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Yeah, but look on the bright side: if you double the recipe, you end up with two degrees. I believe auntie Laura used to call that recipe "OMFS".

1 cup butter, melted
3 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
2. Combine the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, until thoroughly blended.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a bowl. Gradually stir flour mixture into the egg mixture until blended. Stir in the chocolate morsels. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish.
4. Bake in preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove, and cool pan on wire rack before cutting.
5. Buy larger pants.
Step 5 :thumbup:

DOC YANKEM

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2017
School Library
Status
Dental Student
Depends on the study material. If the lecture required multiple steps and had additional information (e.g. intermediates and what is happening to the substrate and what type of chemical reaction), then I ALWAYS used a mnemonic. Quizlet is great for short and detailed flashcards. I used Quizlet practically for ALL of my classes so far. A few of my exams covered 600-700 powerpoint slides, and there is so much you can remember. Pick your own battles, some professors will tell you to memorize EVERYTHING including the diseases, their symptoms and treatments. Some professors are kind enough to provide a study guide/outline to focus on certain topics.

The ONLY time I wouldn't use Quizlet is when there are too many pictures with labels such as Anatomy(next semester). Instead, I would use Anki flashcards and block out each and every anatomical feature.

Some of my classmates LITERALLY WRITE and DRAW everything out multiple times. Another classmate said he had enough time to re-watch every recorded lecture TWICE. Mind you, I never went to Biochemistry or watch the recorded lecture once. Luckily, Touro pays a company to transcribe almost every recorded lecture very accurately.

TL DR; find out what type of a learner you are: VARK | a guide to learning preferences and use the implemented strategies

Reactions: Noice and 8_man
Sep 15, 2017
Status
Dental Student
Second year dental student here. I just do passive learning at this point. I only take notes during lecture on powerpoint pdfs, and then review those multiple times before the exam. It's been working extremely well for me since I began school. Much different than I studied during undergrad (reading the textbook with hand written notes).

OP
8_man

8_man

2+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Depends on the study material. If the lecture required multiple steps and had additional information (e.g. intermediates and what is happening to the substrate and what type of chemical reaction), then I ALWAYS used a mnemonic. Quizlet is great for short and detailed flashcards. I used Quizlet practically for ALL of my classes so far. A few of my exams covered 600-700 powerpoint slides, and there is so much you can remember. Pick your own battles, some professors will tell you to memorize EVERYTHING including the diseases, their symptoms and treatments. Some professors are kind enough to provide a study guide/outline to focus on certain topics.

The ONLY time I wouldn't use Quizlet is when there are too many pictures with labels such as Anatomy(next semester). Instead, I would use Anki flashcards and block out each and every anatomical feature.

Some of my classmates LITERALLY WRITE and DRAW everything out multiple times. Another classmate said he had enough time to re-watch every recorded lecture TWICE. Mind you, I never went to Biochemistry or watch the recorded lecture once. Luckily, Touro pays a company to transcribe almost every recorded lecture very accurately.

TL DR; find out what type of a learner you are: VARK | a guide to learning preferences and use the implemented strategies
Second year dental student here. I just do passive learning at this point. I only take notes during lecture on powerpoint pdfs, and then review those multiple times before the exam. It's been working extremely well for me since I began school. Much different than I studied during undergrad (reading the textbook with hand written notes).
Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty much transcribing lectures onto quizlets for every class so we'll see how that goes. Passive learning sounds a lot more chill in the long run though

Reactions: Noice

Pirateslifeforme

2+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Even if this is a troll thread I've been most successful studying when I review the information after I learn it in lecture, so if I sat through a lecture of anatomy for two hours during the day when I go home and study/ do hw I'll review over the stuff I learned that day in lecture to make it "stick" if that makes sense.

About the Ads