How do you guys study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDientes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In undergrad I played soccer, surfed competitively, and played drums for a band that performed locally. So in all honesty I studied little to nothing at all, because I was usually able to get a B or C, with a couple A's here in there, without it. I never really thought about going to dental school or anything like that for my first 3 years of college. When I decided on Dentistry I found out I had to take the DAT so I put in 3 solid weeks of the most studying I had ever done in my life and I did well, but it wasn't until then I realized I didn't ever develop any study habits. I am going to dental school in the fall and I want to do really well.
I guess I want to hear about what study habits most of you guys have or any tips on how to study effectively. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

If you got into DS, your study habits are probably just fine.

But to answer your question....
I love to use whiteboards since I am good at learning visually and I like to move around when I study.
I need to stay away from electronics (specifically computers) or I will be on sdn, facebook, news sites, youtube, pandora, etc.
I like working in groups when things require analyzing or deciphering... like organic chemistry mechanisms for example.
But if I just have to memorize a bunch of stuff... just leave me alone and let me rip through it.

If you got into DS, your study habits are probably just fine.

But to answer your question....
I love to use whiteboards since I am good at learning visually and I like to move around when I study.
I need to stay away from electronics (specifically computers) or I will be on sdn, facebook, news sites, youtube, pandora, etc.
I like working in groups when things require analyzing or deciphering... like organic chemistry mechanisms for example.
But if I just have to memorize a bunch of stuff... just leave me alone and let me rip through it.

Lol, with the addition of e-mail first, that is my exact order of attack when I get online :)

As far as studying goes, I'm also a big fan of the whiteboard. The only problem is you have to erase it to move on. I like flashcards, too. I highlight the chapters in the book and make outlines as I go along, it helps me organize the info. Each subject has a specific folder/binder, so I know where all my organized info is, and it's easy to pull it out and refresh later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lock yourself in a room with a checklist of things to study/review, and get it all done.

I've never been a fan of flashcards, but I DO like to summarize chapters/concepts in a notebook, with little asterisks next to important concepts/definitions, colorful diagrams, etc. As for group-studying, I've learned that it's best for organic chemistry, like Yuppers said (especially mechanisms, & rxns). Otherwise, I would avoid groups.

Good luck with your studies. :)

Well most of us are pre-dents here so its kinda hard to tell u how we study.

However I watched my sister get thru dental school and let me tell you, it was one of the most intemidating things I have ever seen. Her finals used to be these thick 3 inch binders where she had to cover them in one weekend. She used to spend the ENTIRE weekend in her room locked up and studying and only time she came down is when she needed to eat. I also have a few friends right now in med school who pretty much tell me the same thing. My friend Ben who is in his 3rd year med school told me once that he used to average about 8 hrs a day EVERYDAY in his 2nd year, however he was a top student, he rocked USMLE1 with 245/95

I had bad study habits in college, and my grades were so-so. I did really well in dental school, primarily because I just invested the time into it. I mentally prepared myself for studying way more in dental school than in college by just accepting that I would be studying with every spare moment. I did it mostly because I wanted to specialize.

I printed out powerpoints, highlighted them, made flash cards, and even outlined the powerpoints so I could see the info from a different light. Using old tests was huge, not for memorizing answers, but for testing my knowledge and filling in gaps. You can learn a lot from an old multiple choice test question: don't just ask yourself why the right answer is right, but why the wrong answers are wrong.

Ultimately, though, the most important thing was pouring in as much time as I could into studying.

I had bad study habits in college, and my grades were so-so. I did really well in dental school, primarily because I just invested the time into it. I mentally prepared myself for studying way more in dental school than in college by just accepting that I would be studying with every spare moment. I did it mostly because I wanted to specialize.

I printed out powerpoints, highlighted them, made flash cards, and even outlined the powerpoints so I could see the info from a different light. Using old tests was huge, not for memorizing answers, but for testing my knowledge and filling in gaps. You can learn a lot from an old multiple choice test question: don't just ask yourself why the right answer is right, but why the wrong answers are wrong.

Ultimately, though, the most important thing was pouring in as much time as I could into studying.

Thank you... That seems like great advice.

Do you guys think making flashcards would take too long since there is so much material that we are going to have though?

Do you guys think making flashcards would take too long since there is so much material that we are going to have though?

You should make flashcards for material that you do not understand. I guess it can be a daunting task if you don't understand most of the materials.

I love flashcards. I always have index cards and scissors in my backpack somewhere. Flashcards can seem to take a while, but it requires you to think about the info-- what am I going to put on the front and back of this card? Why does the prof want me to know this and how does it apply to the material as a whole? (I also tend to copy my notes over and over again on "condensed" outlines for stuff I absolutely need to know.)

I make my flashcards, and go through them once before going to bed. Yep, got most them all right. When I wake up in the morning, the first thing on my mind is mentally receiting all those flashcards. When I go thru them again, I know them all, even some the night before that I only got 80% of the info on them. So long as I make them early and go through them a few times before the test, I feel that is about 70-90% of the material, depending on the class.

I love flashcards and make them for pretty much every class. Yeah, for orgo I studied in a group, but when it comes down to **** getting done, you gotta strap yourself down and work like there is a fire under your a**.

I love flashcards. I always have index cards and scissors in my backpack somewhere. Flashcards can seem to take a while, but it requires you to think about the info-- what am I going to put on the front and back of this card? Why does the prof want me to know this and how does it apply to the material as a whole? (I also tend to copy my notes over and over again on "condensed" outlines for stuff I absolutely need to know.)

I make my flashcards, and go through them once before going to bed. Yep, got most them all right. When I wake up in the morning, the first thing on my mind is mentally receiting all those flashcards. When I go thru them again, I know them all, even some the night before that I only got 80% of the info on them. So long as I make them early and go through them a few times before the test, I feel that is about 70-90% of the material, depending on the class.

I love flashcards and make them for pretty much every class. Yeah, for orgo I studied in a group, but when it comes down to **** getting done, you gotta strap yourself down and work like there is a fire under your a**.

+1 for flashcards. I like that they allow you to compartmentalize the material however you want. I feel like the actual process of making the flashcards is what helps me the most. Then going through them makes sure I remember what I wanted to.

Yeah, that's the thing. Its not like you make flashcards and then study-- your are studying as you are making flashcards. And then you have a study guide that you can shuffle thru as your are watching TV, on the bus, or just sitting and studying. Love flashcards.

Flash cards work best for fill-in-the-blank and essay tests, in my opinion. If you're creative with Word you can type them up and print them out, which will save you a ton of time. You make the paper size 3x5, landscape, shrink the margins to 5", and then odd pages are one side of the card, even are the opposite side. You put the cards directly into the printer and print all the odds, then feed them back in and print the evens. I found that Lexmark printers had the best feeding mechanism and the least double feeds, even the cheapest Wal-Mart one you can find.

People used to gawk at the stacks of flash cards I'd walk around with in dental school. Be careful not to get too worried about flash cards though, they may have actually hurt me on some tests because I focused on them too much and tried to get too creative.

I guess that's where we study differently. I find that there is no way to study for fill in the blank other than the study, study, study your notes and to know the material cold. And for essay, same gig, but essay questions tend to be extensive and about some process or function. For that, draw outlines and justify figures from the lecture notes.

Multiple choice is straight memorization. Most of the time it comes down to knowing the answer right away; other times it eventually eliminating it down to the right answer.

Lol, with the addition of e-mail first, that is my exact order of attack when I get online :)

As far as studying goes, I'm also a big fan of the whiteboard. The only problem is you have to erase it to move on. I like flashcards, too. I highlight the chapters in the book and make outlines as I go along, it helps me organize the info. Each subject has a specific folder/binder, so I know where all my organized info is, and it's easy to pull it out and refresh later on.

For Firefox users:

google the add-on Leach Block. Enjoy 5x as much productivity.

I read flash-cards (or notes) before bed also. I hate it though when I have weird dreams like having in-depth conversation with unicorns about protein expression, or the lymphatic system ;). I also have a rule: Never cram for tests, Cram for Projects. I will never do a over-nighter for a test, I can't remember my middle name let alone the material. Don't stress out, and if something is not working change it. I also find rehersal to be really good. I got A's in alot of upper-division Sci classes by teaching my dog the material. She always thinks that she is going to get a walk, so she is always really attentive. Stay away from group study (most of the time).
Everyone I know who are in D-Sch right now, tells me that my life will be consumed in studying.

If you already got into DS, I think you should teach us how you studied instead of asking us how, LOL.

In undergrad I played soccer, surfed competitively, and played drums for a band that performed locally. So in all honesty I studied little to nothing at all, because I was usually able to get a B or C, with a couple A's here in there, without it. I never really thought about going to dental school or anything like that for my first 3 years of college. When I decided on Dentistry I found out I had to take the DAT so I put in 3 solid weeks of the most studying I had ever done in my life and I did well, but it wasn't until then I realized I didn't ever develop any study habits. I am going to dental school in the fall and I want to do really well.
I guess I want to hear about what study habits most of you guys have or any tips on how to study effectively. Thanks in advance

WTF? You must have rocked the DAT??!!

I read flash-cards (or notes) before bed also. I hate it though when I have weird dreams like having in-depth conversation with unicorns about protein expression, or the lymphatic system ;). I also have a rule: Never cram for tests, Cram for Projects. I will never do a over-nighter for a test, I can't remember my middle name let alone the material. Don't stress out, and if something is not working change it. I also find rehersal to be really good. I got A's in alot of upper-division Sci classes by teaching my dog the material. She always thinks that she is going to get a walk, so she is always really attentive. Stay away from group study (most of the time).
Everyone I know who are in D-Sch right now, tells me that my life will be consumed in studying.

LOL

I hope she finally gets that walk after having to sit through a chapter and a half of your biochemistry presentation! :)

Highlighters!!!!! Multiple colors so you don't get bored. I make up "cheat-sheets" which are the important parts of the lectures rewritten on unlined paper - I find the lines distracting.

Go somewhere that is undecorated, like a library corral, bring water, make yourself comfortable and study. Also sleep is important too, but I am sure that is one commodity that will turn into a luxury.

Highlighters!!!!! Multiple colors so you don't get bored. I make up "cheat-sheets" which are the important parts of the lectures rewritten on unlined paper - I find the lines distracting.

Go somewhere that is undecorated, like a library corral, bring water, make yourself comfortable and study. Also sleep is important too, but I am sure that is one commodity that will turn into a luxury.

I think the undecorated area really makes a big difference I just noticed. If there is nothing for me to get distracted with I tend to retain info alot better. Thanks for your help guys if there is any more suggestions you guys have let me know.