How do you manage to commit to an EC or a job when you are...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mednight

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you manage to commit to an EC or a job when you are going back and forth between school in another state and your home state(during summer and winter breaks)? Some positions(mostly volunteer) will allow you to come back, but jobs may not. I have a job right now in the ED that I've started May 1 and I'm transferring schools in Spring 2018. So my last day there(if I don't find better) will be mid-December which doesn't make a years commitment to something. Would it be a good look to job hop and show that you have a variety of experiences?

I thought about not taking a gap year, but at this point I have no choice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Talk to your employer about going per diem. I worked FT in an OR for a couple years before going per diem so I could go to school in another state. They were fine with this, and it let me keep my job and work on breaks and over the summer. I eventually transferred back to my home state and was able to work a few days a week while in school.

So per diem is the same as PRN (as needed)? I'm afraid to talk to my supervisor about this being that I'm a new employee here. I told her I was able to do 36 hours/wk(or 12hrs/3 days a week), but at the time I was being interviewed, registration wasn't open and I didn't know how the duration of my class schedule were going to play out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile