How do you plan to repay people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted577188

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll pay forward instead.

Reactions: 10 users
Boob jobs for the females.

Golf clubs for the males.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully your family, especially your parents, do what they do for you out of love and a desire to see you grow and do better than they ever did. They shouldn't be expecting some kind of recompense. However, would it make my Dad's life if I sent him to New Zealand to see where LoTR was filmed and to go fishing and explore? Would my my mom be similarly delighted if she got to go to NYC and see Alan Rickman live in some kind of stage drama? I want to do things for them and give them as many fun memories and possible and a physician would have the to means to really treat their parents to things they never had time or money to do before. I could never "make up" for their sacrifices, but I could do my best.

I'll get my brother a new t-shirt or something. :thumbup:

Boob jobs for the females.

Golf clubs for the males.
No lie at my old job I use to work with mostly females (it wasn't as cool as it sounds) they said they believe that one day I will make it and they will be my first patients if I ever became a cosmetic surgeon. TBH I like the reconstructive side of plastics better. I actually have a small funny story of this one chick that overhead me talking about my interest in plastics once.

Random question, but the title basically says it all. How do you guys and gals plan to repay those who helped you through out your journey and life period?

I think you can just do some nice things for them. Like I gave a bottle of wine or fancy candy and a card to everyone who wrote me a rec letter, and I routinely send some of my major mentors small things, like if I find a book I think they might like. They all have plenty of things, so I don't see any reason to give them money or something, but even just sending a holiday card to an old teacher to let them know that you are doing well and using what they taught you is a big deal.

For your mom? I guess the sky is the limit. Buy her a big house and pink cadillac. :) If she needs something, get it for her if you are able; long term you may have to support her in old age depending on the future, even very wealthy people have had problems in old age due to medical bills or failed investments, so that is something to keep in mind. Paying her credit card every month is a nice thing if you can afford it and she needs it. Although, often for moms, they just like having you come by and being able to brag about you to their mom friends.

Then I guess paying it forward is the next thing, as noted. Make sure your participate in mentoring, trying to answer questions on SDN, etc. Don't stop doing things like working in the free clinic or tutoring under-privileged kids once you get into medical school or ever.

Then when you die, be like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates and give your leftover money to a good cause.

By keeping a personal and professional relationship with them... Maybe collaborate with them in something. Provide them with my acquired expertise in medicine. And most importantly, I will pay it forward.

Mother would love some more grandchildren (sibling has some kids, I don't have any).

Dad is content with his TV and the NHL package. If I could find a way for the Pens to win the cup, that'd be good. Alas, they are already out this year.

As long as my parents don't need constant care when they are older I plan to let them live with me. I've seen too many families put their grandparents in nursing homes because they were old and couldn't quite do everything themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to go on another trip WITH my parents because its meaningful and we did it all the time when we were kids.
I'll buy my brother a fancy tool to fix my car every once and a while and he'll be happy as a clam.
My SO, I'm not sure. If I could figure out how to get Nascar in Canada right now...
The others aren't on my "repay" list but I'll sure send my LOR writers a gift or awesome summer baking when I get in and I plan to keep them up do date on my journey, that's all they really want anyways - to know that they helped me along the way.

My parents will likely be gone by the time I'd be able to offer them any sort of material sign of affection/appreciation - so I'll just be a good boy and try to make them proud.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My parents will likely be gone by the time I'd be able to offer them any sort of material sign of affection/appreciation - so I'll just be a good boy and try to make them proud.
How old are your parents?

Of the people that I shadowed, I bake for them so it would be more of that. My rabbi will get a donation.

How old are your parents?

Much older than average for most people my age, plus I'm essentially a non-trad. My dad would be close to 90 by the time I'd finish residency and my mom would be in her early 80's with her genes definitely not in her favor.

Last edited:
Much older than average for most people my age, plus I'm a non-trad. My dad would be close to 90 by the time I'd finish residency and my mom would be in her early 80's with her genes definitely not in her favor.
I hate the fact that no matter how much you try to be successful you always won't have enough time to pay back your parents. And most of the time they just need to know that you're happy and you will move on with your life.
You will definitely make them proud by getting accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
story time...
So this chick overhears me and probably thinks I already know about cosmetic procedures(I did knew some from watching Dr. 90210). She takes me to go sit with her at the school gym (a short walk from my job I use to work at a college bookstore) and she has some nice large breast and she tells me to look at them and feel them. Furthermore, she tells me she wants to get them reduce so what procedures would I do on her once I became a plastic surgeon and she would like to hit me up. LOL :D Life is good sometimes.

So this chick overhears me and probably thinks I already know about cosmetic procedures(I did knew some from watching Dr. 90210). She takes me to go sit with her at the school gym (a short walk from my job I use to work at a college bookstore) and she has some nice large breast and she tells me to look at them and feel them. Furthermore, she tells me she wants to get them reduce so what procedures would I do on her once I became a plastic surgeon and she would like to hit me up. LOL :D Life is good sometimes.
:whoa:

I hate the fact that no matter how much you try to be successful you always won't have enough time to pay back your parents. And most of the time they just need to know that you're happy and you will move on with your life.
You will definitely make them proud by getting accepted.

A wonderful perspective on the impossibility of paying back one's parents (mother): The Lanyard, by Billy Collins. Here's him reading it himself.

But in all seriousness, I've met a few girls who suffer from pain in the lower back due to the weight of their breasts. Reduction is definitely an option to alleviate that (if changing up the bra doesn't help).

I think I'll pay forward instead.

Gotta keep the ball rolling right :)

Last edited:

I was a host at a restaurant and was basically the only conservative christian in the team. One of the girls was going to get implants and I kept advising her against it because she was so young and it was very unnecessary for her. She had the procedure and was showing the girls the results in the back room which drove all the boys crazy because she wouldn't show them. As the only one not trying to see the results I was offered to see the results. She never understood why I turned down the chance and the guys lost their friggin' minds

But in all seriousness, I've met a few girls suffer from pain in the lower back due to the weight of their breasts. Reduction is definitely an option to alleviate that (if changing up the bra doesn't help).

Gotta keep the ball rolling right :)

Yeah, she told me about that too. I told her a crescent lift and a reduction would be nice for her.

I was a host at a restaurant and was basically the only conservative christian in the team. One of the girls was going to get implants and I kept advising her against it because she was so young and it was very unnecessary for her. She had the procedure and was showing the girls the results in the back room which drove all the boys crazy because she wouldn't show them. As the only one not trying to see the results I was offered to see the results. She never understood why I turned down the chance and the guys lost their friggin' minds
TBH I would of looked for only 2 reasons. 1) Boobs 2) To see the before and after work. Sometimes cosmetic surgery is nice to build confidence in people and the before and after work is always awesome if it's cosmetic or reconstructive work. Nevertheless, good for you for having good morals.

Last edited:
TBH I would of look for only 2 reasons. 1) Boobs 2) To see the before and after work. Sometimes cosmetic surgery is nice to build confidence in people and the before and after work is always awesome if it's cosmetic or reconstructive work. Nevertheless, good for you for having good morals.

I wasn't medically minded at that stage in life so reason #2 didn't help haha...

I wasn't medically minded at that stage in life so reason #2 didn't help haha...
Ah, gotcha. I was thinking right now maybe I'm a smooth talker and girls get relaxed around me when they get to know me, but if I were to end up doing cosmetic my personality would help to put people at ease. However, I'm keeping my mind open on surgical specialties. I'm 100% sure I will end up in surgery anyways.

Give my parents a rental property to live in.

stock options cuz i'm not a businessman, i'm a business, man

I had a similar experience in highschool. All the guys in the school were obsessed with ~98% sex and ~2% sports....

Well, one day the females of the school realized I talked about things other than orgasms, and they all started hitting on me after that. :laugh: I guess they wanted a guy who had a little bit of a diversity of interests.

I plan on buying my parents a nice home with acres. My dad has always wanted something like that. For my mom, I would like to help her open her restaurant that she has always wanted. :thumbup:

Money isn't everything. Like someone said, I plan on paying it forward by mentoring young men about careers in medicine or something to that effect. I might do Doctors Without Borders or join the Peace Corps. There are plenty of ways to give back.

Incidentally, I'm kind of keeping a short list of those whose unwavering support has kind of guided me through some of the tougher times (i.e. parents, research mentors, etc), but on the other hand is also a list of people who are saying I would never make it, people who disappointed me time after time, who stabbed me in the back, etc. Those folks deserve nothing but hate and just you wait...

But yes, large homes sound great too. :p

edit- pull up to a conference in a Lambo-Bentley Truck with the fam.

...but on the other hand is also a list of people who are saying I would never make it, people who disappointed me time after time, who stabbed me in the back, etc. Those folks deserve nothing but hate and just you wait...

As @Jalby would say, a grudge is useless unless you use it.

No lie at my old job I use to work with mostly females (it wasn't as cool as it sounds) they said they believe that one day I will make it and they will be my first patients if I ever became a cosmetic surgeon. TBH I like the reconstructive side of plastics better. I actually have a small funny story of this one chick that overhead me talking about my interest in plastics once.

Yo feel free to add me to that patient list ;)

Repay my parents some of the money they spent onnsxhool dor my siblongs and I and basically ensure they want for nothing in their old age. I've seen my parents care for and support my grandparents and I plan to do the same for them. They have afforded me the opportunity to get to where I am so I want to repay that as much as I can. Within reason of course. I have to be able to provide for my kids and stuff also.

Rec writers and advisors/mentors get a nice thank you card and a gift.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lé sigh, that's what I'm doing wrong. Talking about psych stuff gets you nowhere :(.

Best mature response of all, @WillburCobb.

I told my parents one day while at a Rays game that I'd buy them seats in the front row right behind the batter. They gave me minimal support monetarily even during undergrad, but they still gave me a lot in non-monetary terms.