How do you respond to 2ndary question:"List activities you were involved in"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juiceman311

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
8. List extracurricular, community or significant leisure activities in which you participated while in college and since graduation. Indicate the approximate hours per week spent in each activity and how long, in months, you participated. Indicate offices or
leadership positions held and a brief description of your role in these activities (use additional sheets if necessary)

Do they not look at our primaries? How should I do this? Copy and paste my primary Activities? This kind of pisses me off.

Members don't see this ad.

That's from the MCG secondary

Sounds pretty straight forward to me..Sounds just like AMCAS. Copy from AMCAS. Maybe add a new description. Its the same as when schools want us to list out our pre-reqs for them, even though they have a whole f-ing transcript. Whatever. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
jackieMD2007 said:
Sounds pretty straight forward to me..Sounds just like AMCAS. Copy from AMCAS. Maybe add a new description. Its the same as when schools want us to list out our pre-reqs for them, even though they have a whole f-ing transcript. Whatever. :luck:

Well, adding a new description seems useless? AMCAS asks for the exact same items to be included with the activity. My concern is simply that I'll come across as lazy? But at the same time, this seems so childish to me.

I completely understand your frustration. However, I have resigned myself to the fact that "Raging against the machine" at this point is useless. Keep the information consistent with your AMCAS (so it all matches), and if you can add in some other details. Keep the descriptions short and sweet. Maybe shorter than your AMCAS.

These schools are basically asking you to do their work for them; aka making your application easier to read. Asking for your activities means that they don't want to deal with the honors, publications, etc, etc that are "cluttering" your ECs. Ditto the request your pre-reqs. They want to go down the list and check them off without having to wade through 40 different courses & labs.

thanks as always, Lizzy. is it ok to put ECs that were not on AMCAS because of the honors, publications, etc that cluttered them out?

LizzyM said:
These schools are basically asking you to do their work for them; aka making your application easier to read. Asking for your activities means that they don't want to deal with the honors, publications, etc, etc that are "cluttering" your ECs. Ditto the request your pre-reqs. They want to go down the list and check them off without having to wade through 40 different courses & labs.

Do you think it would be ok to just copy and paste the descriptions from the AMCAS onto the secondary? I don't want to rewrite them since the content will be the same, but I also don't want to appear like I didn't give their secondary too much thought.

modelslashactor said:
thanks as always, Lizzy. is it ok to put ECs that were not on AMCAS because of the honors, publications, etc that cluttered them out?

I hope that would be ok, especially since they are allowing more than the 15 spaces (e.g. Wisconsin allows you to put as many as possible). I added a few things that I had been doing for years, but I had to give up during my sophomore year since I don't come home in the summer anymore. They are important to me, but they were not important enough to bump other things fomr the AMCAS.

Go ahead & list things that you've done, even if not on the AMCAS. Cut & paste if you must. Likelihood is, if they are asking you to do this, they aren't looking at the AMCAS for much.

LizzyM, Thank you so much. I was about to slit my wrist or something. Well, not really, I was getting irritated at the thought of having to put a twist on everything I've already done and spent a great deal of time doing.

So basically, copy and paste from AMCAS primary, add other stuff if it is pertinent.

Thanks again Lizzy and Jackie.