How does one decide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rahel828

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...

I just got my first acceptance..LECOM Class of 2008! I interviewed at WVSOM and I really liked it there. But, I'm not sure when I'll hear from them. I've also got two interivews scheduled at PCOM and TUCOM within the next month.

So, am I expected to put down a deposit in order to hold my seat while I'm still waiting for other places? Also, WVSOM tuition is twice that of LECOM (I'm a PA resident) and I don't know if I should consider it as my top choice. While picking my schools, cost was an issue but I don't feel that way any more. Not that I'm loaded but my views have changed. Money will come and go, but the next four years of life experiences will be priceless. Am I foolish in thinking this?

Also, I don't know the name of the program completely, but does anyone know of that government program.. they pay your tuition in exchange for 'x' number of years they pay for you. They can place you anywhere in the country; especially where there is a shortage of doctors.

thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

WVSOM is extremely expensive for out of state students (I mean, extremely expensive!). You might want to consider that when choosing schools. It does make a difference, especially when interest accrues.

Also, I don't know the name of the program completely, but does anyone know of that government program.. they pay your tuition in exchange for 'x' number of years they pay for you. They can place you anywhere in the country; especially where there is a shortage of doctors.

I believe you're thinking of the National Health Service Corps. It's a great deal if you know for sure that you're going into primary care. Also, please note that if you do get chosen for their scholarships, they'll pay all your tuition, fees, books, etc. but when you graduate they'll choose where you practice to fulfill your obligation. Some locations are out of the country so be ready to leave if required. Go to their website (http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/) and get the info.

Hey Rahel,

I can understand where your coming from I got accepted to LECOM to, and its tuition is the lowest of all the other schools I?ve been accepted to. I guess my advice to you would be to wait and see if you?re accepted to WVSOM (that is assuming they let you know before LECOM?s deadline is up) and then compare the two. Would you be that much happier going to one over the other, I think money should be a factor in your decision, but not a major factor. I would also suggest you go to the other two interviews, you might end up really loving one of those schools. Even though it would stink to lose your acceptance fee (I think $1,500 at LECOM), it?s better then wishing you were somewhere else for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congradulations on your acceptance to LECOM!!! I have an interview coming up on Dec 11th. Any advice for the interview? Also, how long did it take to get your acceptance after you interviewed?

My advisor told me to ALWAYS accept the first school that accepts you. Don't know if I can afford to do that, but I guess it just guarantees you a spot if the rest of your prospects suddenly dry up. A couple of grand in retaining fees is nothing in the grand scheme of debt we'll soon know.

-NS

I would say risk it. When are the other two interviews in relation to the deposit due date? I personally wouldn't go to LECOM , but if it fits you then great. I certainly wouldn't negate the other options of PCOM and TUCOM. Money is definitely a consideration in my decision. The Osteopathic school I selected to attend requires a $250 deposit within two weeks, but I also expect to hear from an MD school within three weeks about a decision. I am debating whether to forget about putting the deposit down in anticipation of the MD acceptance. I would rather attend the MD school, as it is over $11,000 cheaper per year equating to a total savings of about $50,000. In the long run that $50,000 is a huge amount to pay back especially with compounding interest. So most certainly take tuition into consideration when selecting a school. If you feel you are a strong candidate and would potentially rather go to one of the schools you have an interview at, then relinquish the seat at LECOM. It all depends on how comfortable you are in the strength of your application.

Herp

Originally posted by NotShorty
My advisor told me to ALWAYS accept the first school that accepts you. Don't know if I can afford to do that, but I guess it just guarantees you a spot if the rest of your prospects suddenly dry up.

Absolutely! Not only do you have a school "in your pocket" already, but it completely changes your outlook and confidence. There's nothing more satisfying than going to a medical school interview and looking at the nervous people around you while you relax and think to yourself "no matter what happens today, I'm going to be a doctor!" There's definitely a difference in the way you behave in interviews when you know you already have an acceptance.

I agree with Shinken, When I was at my UHS interview I received an email from UNE saying I got in (got to love the computers in the student lounge where you wait)... anyway, I went up to my interview and did SO well because there was no pressure on me at all. I knew going in, no matter what happens here i'm still going to be going to medical school. That being said, it is a lot of money, but put a deposit down at at least one school just so you have that safety. Good luck!

Ok, let's say that your first acceptance deposit is $1000. Where do you get that money? Are there specific loans that would cover it, can you just add it to your student loans?

I really don't know if I can just "produce" a G out of nowhere, especially if it's not definitely the school I'm going to.

-NS

Originally posted by Shinken
Absolutely! Not only do you have a school "in your pocket" already, but it completely changes your outlook and confidence. There's nothing more satisfying than going to a medical school interview and looking at the nervous people around you while you relax and think to yourself "no matter what happens today, I'm going to be a doctor!" There's definitely a difference in the way you behave in interviews when you know you already have an acceptance.

This is very true. Now the worst that could happen is that a school says "no." Where as before your whole future was riding on the school's decision.

Originally posted by NotShorty
Ok, let's say that your first acceptance deposit is $1000. Where do you get that money? Are there specific loans that would cover it, can you just add it to your student loans?

I really don't know if I can just "produce" a G out of nowhere, especially if it's not definitely the school I'm going to.

-NS

I'm lucky in that I work and got my tuition waived this year. So I can use some of my student loans to pay the deposit. What I would do is see if your bank will provide you a short term loan.

Thanks for your feedback guys. Ive been thinking it over and I'm pretty sure I might take a pass up at WVSOM. And I need to scrounge up a deposit for LECOM.

When I attended the open house at PCOM, they said if we invite you for an inteview, you pretty much have the seat as long as you dotn blow it. I'm assuming they said this so that I would submit a secondary. With that said and done, and the volume of applicants they get, I dont want to pass up on LECOM and end up not going anywhere.

The LECOM interview was more of a "getting to know the applicant" ordeal. They asked about my learning preference, weakenesses, strengths, how i handle stress...def check out interview experiences posted by fellow intervieews. its fairly accurate about the type of questions asked.