How does one enter into per diem or volunteer work in a hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuralPhysician8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how someone with certification in a hospital technical skill makes his or herself known to an employer? My university offers many one-semester certificate programs in technician occupations (EKG, Dialysis, Records, etc..., but no EMT or CNA) that I would like to take advantage of so I can have direct patient experience. I would happily just apply for evening shifts; however, I am prevented from having so many paid working hours each year due to my scholarships. Is it possible to just have your name put down as a volunteer/per diem technician at a hospital or other facility? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I have never been in the paid work force before. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's going to vary by hospital. Your best bet would be to look through the hospital directory and contact human resources. They would either be able to answer your question or direct you to the proper person. I would suggest you call instead of e-mail. E-mails with these types of questions have a funny habit of never being returned... Good luck!

Survivor DO

Contact the Volunteer Services manager at that hospital via email or phone.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should check out a hospital's career postings. Many technician/lab/research assistant jobs require some of these certificates.

From what I've seen, EKG tech would be good patient time.

Thanks everyone, my intended question was not which position would offer more patient interaction, just whether or not it was likely that I would be able to work as a volunteer or a paid by day employee; my apologies, I could have probably formed a better title. I am willing to work weekends so I suppose that would be a plus on my resume. Also, would it hurt any chance at a position if I openly tell an employer/volunteer coordinator that I cannot have so many paid hours and want to work as a volunteer to gain experience?