How does stationing work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJackal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound, odd.. but, how does the Military determined where you're stationed. I'm looking to do Anesthesia (M.D.). As of right now the Navy seems to be a better option due to reading I have done and formed on my own personal opinion. Of course I would be a 4 year College grad when the time comes to make a choice about Med-School and it sure does look expensive, and believe me or not, I want to be a Doctor no matter what. Pay is a small factor yes, but being able to enjoy your job holds much more to overall happiness.. plus the MILITARY exprience would be one that would be remmbered and probably worth it.

(Side Note: Not sure what branch I want, Yes they all have their ups and downs). (Thinking Navy becuase they get to move around alot or Airforce).

I don't have any close relatives to ask who wouldn't give me a biased opinion, Vietnam is probably the closest but, they were a pilot (Huey Transport), not a DOC.

Anyway, I'm being serious and just want to know how stationing (Job / Living Location) works.

So enlighten me about your expriences for better or for worse.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

DrJackal said:
This is going to sound, odd.. but, how does the Military determined where you're stationed. I'm looking to do Anesthesia (M.D.). As of right now the Navy seems to be a better option due to reading I have done and formed on my own personal opinion. Of course I would be a 4 year College grad when the time comes to make a choice about Med-School and it sure does look expensive, and believe me or not, I want to be a Doctor no matter what. Pay is a small factor yes, but being able to enjoy your job holds much more to overall happiness.. plus the MILITARY exprience would be one that would be remmbered and probably worth it.

(Side Note: Not sure what branch I want, Yes they all have their ups and downs). (Thinking Navy becuase they get to move around alot or Airforce).

I don't have any close relatives to ask who wouldn't give me a biased opinion, Vietnam is probably the closest but, they were a pilot (Huey Transport), not a DOC.

Anyway, I'm being serious and just want to know how stationing (Job / Living Location) works.

So enlighten me about your expriences for better or for worse.

Thanks.

You give the detailer a wish list, they talk about it with the specialty line leader, and then completely and absolutely ignore your wish list and send you where ever they need to put a body with your qualifications.

While this is a slight simplificiation of the process, most of us will relate stories where we not only didn't get one of the first 2 or 3 billets on our list, we didn't get any of the 10 on our list.

Personally, I did get to go to the east coast, but thats the only item that my detailer even was remotely close on.
I put 10 spots on my wish list. I met the guy that got spot #1 and he had same quals I had, and hadn't even turned in a wish list.

Second time around, they at least kept me in same geographic location, so I have to give them credit for that. But I am deployed to the middle east from my shore duty billet.

But if you truly want any say at all in where you go, then don't join the military.

i want out

It is a negotiation. Depends on what is open, what you need for your career, a multitude of factors. Despite the fact I like to call the detailers evil, they work very hard to meet both your needs and the Navy's needs. Unfortunately sometimes what you need is not what you want.

As the Marines like to say - Semper Gumby (always flexible)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't ignore your specialty leader/detailer. You won't get every single duty station you want but it can save on getting crapped on excessively. Only thing is once you've gotten a somewhat amicable relation via the phone with this person they are replaced.

When you come within your window for orders...6-9 months prior to the end of your current tour, you call and are told what is "available". I put that in quotes because you are usually told what the Navy needs filled first. If you don't approach it as more a negotion and just take what is given then you are screwing yourself.

Unfortunately with the dwindling numbers there will be more "hotfill" billets which takes the negotiation out of the picture and you just get whatever they want to give you.

It's part science, part art, part luck......and a whole lot about whether or not the specialty leader is having a good day. Bad day for them means 3-4 years of misery for you. :mad:

i want out said:
You give the detailer a wish list, they talk about it with the specialty line leader, and then completely and absolutely ignore your wish list and send you where ever they need to put a body with your qualifications.

:laugh:
Not far from the truth. :smuggrin:

Bah...

I'll list ten locations see if they're hot fills becuase, I don't know.. :confused:
The list includes no order of preference. Just any of the top 5 places would be the best. Japan or Korea being last.

If anyone could tell me if you think they would be hot fills let me know. Heck I don't even know if the U.S. has bases in all of these places.

1. Germany
2. South Africa (?) Is there a base there?
3. Italy
4. Australia (Includes New Zealand).
5. France
6. Spain
7. Great Britian
8. United States (Anywhere pref Alaska or Florida (?))
9. Norway
10. Japan or Korea (I know we have Naval bases there, but I hope not).

So how would my list look lol?

Thanks everyone.

BTW, if I can speak (read/write) a second language (french), does it better my choices on my preference of location?

Just cruious, thanks again.