How does this look to adcoms???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cosmicstarr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does this look to adcoms?

I have this black mark on my academic transcript. I was was an Electronics Engineering Tech major and during my senior project, I could not get my microcontroller to work towards the end of the semester when the professor was checking all projects before Presentation Day. By then, it was too late to drop the class with a “W”. Evenutally, I got my first and only “F” in a class. The professor wasn’t even too concerned and said, “Just present your project next semester and the grade is replaced.” However, I was horrified. :eek: I eventually got a “B” in the class after presenting my project the following semester. Although the “F” is not calculated in my GPA, it is still there on my transcript. It looks kind of odd, too, because I have mostly A’s and some B’s. I eventually graduated with a 3.84 and magna cum laude, but does the “F” raise a red flag???

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

cosmicstarr said:
How does this look to adcoms?

I have this black mark on my academic transcript. I was was an Electronics Engineering Tech major and during my senior project, I could not get my microcontroller to work towards the end of the semester when the professor was checking all projects before Presentation Day. By then, it was too late to drop the class with a “W”. Evenutally, I got my first and only “F” in a class. The professor wasn’t even too concerned and said, “Just present your project next semester and the grade is replaced.” However, I was horrified. :eek: I eventually got a “B” in the class after presenting my project the following semester. Although the “F” is not calculated in my GPA, it is still there on my transcript. It looks kind of odd, too, because I have mostly A’s and some B’s. I eventually graduated with a 3.84 and magna cum laude, but does the “F” raise a red flag???

Thanks for any input.

I'm a little confused. Did you take the class twice? If your prof simply replaced the F with a B, then the F should not appear anywhere on your transcripts. I would assume that it's similar to how an incomplete works, once you have turned in your work, the I is replaced. Am I missing something here? I'm not sure how you could have two grades for the same class.

Even if it is still on your record you should still be fine if everything else is good. But you may get asked about it. At pretty much all of my open file interviews a D I got freshman year got brought up. I was accepted each time though. Just be prepared to explain it if it's still on there.

Members don't see this ad :)
little_late_MD said:
I'm a little confused. Did you take the class twice? If your prof simply replaced the F with a B, then the F should not appear anywhere on your transcripts. I would assume that it's similar to how an incomplete works, once you have turned in your work, the I is replaced. Am I missing something here? I'm not sure how you could have two grades for the same class.

Yes, I had to repeat the class the following semester, so that I could present the project. It was not assigned an "I". In one semester, it was an "F" because the project was not working. Unfortunately, the professor was not forgiving at all would not assign an "I" and there was little I could do about this. The following semester (repeated class), I got a "B". The grade was "replaced" in terms of calculating the GPA.

you know what'll happen? You'll get asked about it in your interview, you'll explain what happened just like you did above saying you got a B in the class the next semester, and they'll leave it at that... you graduated with a 3.84, they know you're smart. you'll be fine :)

I don't think your one F will be aproblem, but I do think it very possible you will be asked about it. It's likely the interviewer will be curious about it rather than judgmental, so just make sure you are prepared and comfortable to give a brief explanation.

gl, raDiOnut