How does your school assign rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Jess

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year student at Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (in New York), which just opened last year. Since my class is the inaugural class, our rotations are somewhat limited since the school is still establishing itself. Recently there's been some talk that rotation preferences will be given based on our class rank. Obviously, this has caused quite a stir among everyone. I always thought that rotations were done using a lottery system. I have NEVER heard of using class rank and I'm not exactly sure what message it's supposed to send to the people who are not at the very top.

What has been your experience with the process? Have you ever heard of this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 2nd year student at Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (in New York), which just opened last year. Since my class is the inaugural class, our rotations are somewhat limited since the school is still establishing itself. Recently there's been some talk that rotation preferences will be given based on our class rank. Obviously, this has caused quite a stir among everyone. I always thought that rotations were done using a lottery system. I have NEVER heard of using class rank and I'm not exactly sure what message it's supposed to send to the people who are not at the very top.

Lottery; no.

We get assigned a random number that is definitely not based on class rank. Then we get to pick which rotation shell we want in order based on our number. So whoever is #1 gets to pick whichever shell they want, and #2 can pick anything except what #1 picked and so on. Sucks for the last person, but it's better than a completely random system.

I haven't heard of another school that does it based on gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school talked about doing that during my third year. Of course, all of the tool gunners wet themselves when they heard about it and of course approved it - after all, they reasoned, the top students should get first pick, eh?

After the howls of protest from the rest of us mere mortals, they quietly scrapped the idea and we resumed the lottery system.

Yep, for a while my school admin was bat**** crazy.

We use a lottery system. I don't fault the "gunners" for wanting a ranked match necessarily. I think that attitude has more to do with inconsistencies in rotation sites than it does with a "screw everyone" attitude. If all the rotation sites were great people would not worry about it as much. (Sometimes location can be a big deal too if you are married or because you really want to live near your family). Everyone works very hard and just wants to be able to learn as much as they can in years 3 and 4.

We get assigned a random number that is definitely not based on class rank. Then we get to pick which rotation shell we want in order based on our number. So whoever is #1 gets to pick whichever shell they want, and #2 can pick anything except what #1 picked and so on. Sucks for the last person, but it's better than a completely random system.

I haven't heard of another school that does it based on gpa.

How we do it as well, although years ago it was gpa based I've heard.

The same way it assigns everything else: in a disorganized, ad hoc manner, that leaves all parties ultimately unsatisfied.

At NYCOM we get a random # (not based on class rank) and then a lottery is done to determine who goes where. We also have an option to do a regional rotation which means we get to do all of our core rotations in one hospital. In general most people end up getting what they want and if they don't it's a simple matter to trade spots with someone.

For M3 year, we each rank 14 of 16 tracks, then get put in a lottery. Whoever gets a lowly ranked pick of their track, somehow gets bumped up when they go in the lottery for an elective, so they may at least get something they want for 1 month.

I'm at ATSU-SOMA, the other school that opened the same year yours did, Mr. Jess. We've been told we're getting a random assignment for 3rd year rotations, definitely not associated with class rank.

I'm at ATSU-SOMA, the other school that opened the same year yours did, Mr. Jess. We've been told we're getting a random assignment for 3rd year rotations, definitely not associated with class rank.

Keep in mind, you will only have about 10 students at each CHC, so I am hoping there won't be too much chaos. My CHC is getting real close to secure all our rotation sites. I am really excited.

That sucks, we have predetermined schedules with a corresponding number at a core site..you rank your top 20. After the lottery, you pretty much know what your number and schedule are, ofcourse trading can happen but it seems like most of those who get the schedules they desired don't try to trade no brainer. Assigning rotations based on class rankings is silly, the school will hurt its chances of producing quality physicians.

UC Davis does a lottery system where the whole class gets in a room, you are all assigned a random number, and you go through the whole class six times (starting with a different number each time) with each person yelling out the number of a single rotation and what time-slot they want it in (there are six required rotations).

Every year there are about 20 people who are stuck at the end because the last rotation they need is already full; those folks stay late and finagle things until they have a schedule.

My impression is that most people are pretty happy with the results, although I'm not sure. There are always people who are not happy, however.

Interesting to read other methods; it might be saner to rank a set of predetermined schedule combinations, for example.

We have an online system where we go through about 16 rounds throughout the week picking our rotations, kinda like a fantasy football draft. From what I hear, nobody is happy with the results and some people get shafted and can't do several of their core rotations until 4th year.

On that note, do you guys pick your 3rd and 4th year rotations at the same time? We do and it seems screwy to me--I'm sure a ton of people change their minds (or don't know yet) what their going in to, and end up having to change their schedules around big time, at great difficulty.

We have an online system.

Everyone gets emailed a week or two ahead of time to make sure they have access and no bugs with the system. They make sure no one is scheduled to work during the time. Online registration opens at the predetermined time. You plug in your stuff and register.

It's a bit of a free-for-all. A few courses fill within the first minute or two, but I've been able to get everything I wanted by being at my computer at the assigned time and doing what they told me, so no complaints.

My friend went through the process at the school I just got accepted to and we can pick our team or rotation schedule...

If you pick your team, then you get the order of rotations in a random order...however, if take the other option you can pick how you take the rotations...

Personally, I rather pick my team so we can function as an unit and cover each other. And, it does not matter how they come to me since I have to take them all anyway....just dont want surgery and ob/gyn back to back :eek: