How early is TOO early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kd87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new here and have been browsing around the forum for a day or so looking for a few answers to some questions, and haven't found one and was hoping some of you could help...

How early is too early to apply to the dental schools? I've just seen that you should start applying in May/June for the following year, but I haven't seen anything about applying more than a year before the year you want to attend. I've noticed a few "Class of 2012" threads so I figure it's possible, I just haven't been able to find any documentation of it.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

It's impossible to apply earlier than May for the cycle. For example, the earliest you can apply for the 2009 cycle (class of 2013) is middle of May, 2008. This is the day AADSAS registration becomes available.

There really isn't such thing as too early. As Wired has said, to ensure that adcomms see your application before everyon else, you should apply as soon as the cycle opens up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I'm new here and have been browsing around the forum for a day or so looking for a few answers to some questions, and haven't found one and was hoping some of you could help...

How early is too early to apply to the dental schools? I've just seen that you should start applying in May/June for the following year, but I haven't seen anything about applying more than a year before the year you want to attend. I've noticed a few "Class of 2012" threads so I figure it's possible, I just haven't been able to find any documentation of it.

Thanks! :)

Class of 2012 = Entering Class of 2008

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone! :)

Kd87,
at this point pick the professors that you want to write recommendations. You can create the matching forms when the next cycle opens. That way there won't be any delays in this. Make a checklist of to dos. Think about the personal statement. This isn't going to change next cycle so begin brainstorming and writing so that you have time to polish it and overhaul it if that is necessary.

I agree with the letters of rec advice. I had a professor fall of the face of the earth after constantly reassuring me that he would send it in.

For people applying in the 2009 cycle, it is also possible to open up an application this year and not submit it. Doing this gives you a peak at all the sections in the application, so you can start fitting things into the different sections, and one last chance to beef up some empty areas.

I found this useful because there are limits on how many extracurricular activities, dental experiences, job, and research activities you can list, along with a max word count for describing these.

There really isn't such thing as too early. As Wired has said, to ensure that adcomms see your application before everyon else, you should apply as soon as the cycle opens up.

Just a quick question...the AADSAS application opens May 15th, did those of you who got accepted this year apply right on that date?

Thanks in advance!

Just a quick question...the AADSAS application opens May 15th, did those of you who got accepted this year apply right on that date?

Thanks in advance!

Early application is ideal, however, what you bring to the table is far more important than the date AADSAS or TMDSAS stamps as completion of the application.

Kd87,
at this point pick the professors that you want to write recommendations. You can create the matching forms when the next cycle opens. That way there won't be any delays in this. Make a checklist of to dos. Think about the personal statement. This isn't going to change next cycle so begin brainstorming and writing so that you have time to polish it and overhaul it if that is necessary.
Oh. That brings up another question I had. I have had two professors write me recommendation letters already. I've noticed that on the application site, they say that letters should be sent straight to them... Do I have the ability to send them the letters or will I have to have the professors re-write the letters and send them in themselves? The copies they gave me are originals with original signatures, along with contact information.

I'm not going to be applying until the 2010 cycle more than likely, but I'm just trying to make sure I get everything done that I need done.

Everything was done with by August for me.

Do I have the ability to send them the letters or will I have to have the professors re-write the letters and send them in themselves? The copies they gave me are originals with original signatures, along with contact information.

You cannot send in the LORs that you are personally holding onto. They must come straight from the professor, or some sort of letter service. This is similar to transcripts, which must come straight from your university.

Members don't see this ad :)
ideally you want to get your app submission in as early as possible. so may/june would be an ideal time. You want to ask your professors for a letter of rec with ample time so they can submit it either to your school's professional committee or to aadsas. Since profs will be most likely busy or gone by the time june rolls around because of finals and school ending, you would want to ask them maybe around late march or in april for a letter of rec so that get those taken care of. AADSAS opens i belive on may 15 for the cycle so i would get started on that during any free time you have since it takes a very long time, espcially the courses taken section. The earlier you submit, the better it is since it is getting very competitive and one of the advantages you can get is to get your app in early.

Thanks in advance!
you domn't have to send it in right on may 15th, people submit it even until september and even later and still get invites for interviews and acceptances. So don't let that be your goal to submit it on 15th. Make sure you have your app done correctly and you want to have some quality stuff to put into it for your extracurriculars, volunteer activities, ,etc. It makes no sense for you to submit your app right on that date but have a very mediocre content on your app. But if you're submitting it late october or later then you most likely will not get acceepted anywhere. If i were you i would aim for september to be my very latest

If the OP wants an artificial deadline I suggest this.
By July 1st you should have submitted your application that way by Sept 1st the schools will have your application. I submitted mine on June 15th and had the GPA verified and the application sent to schools by AADSAS on July 23rd. The LOR can be sent separately but the most time consuming thing is your main application with the transcripts. Note when I mean application I mean including the transcripts. I recommend getting your transcripts sent to AADSAS while you are finishing up your application.

Some state schools will begin looking at the applications in August. At the latest september 1st should be the date to shoot to be considered with the early crowd.

Create a phantom account now and look at the AADSAS application especially the personal statement section. It won't change that much when the next cycle opens. Think of the essay NOW. Line up the recommenders NOW. Collect official transcripts with your grades so far so that you know what you are submitting so that you won't get blind sided with something on there that schools might ask an explanation. You will still have to request official transcripts when it is time to send them to AADSAS. The only thing that should delay you is waiting to create the matching forms to send right away.

Some state schools will begin looking at the applications in August. At the latest september 1st should be the date to shoot to be considered with the early crowd.

FYI

Schools like Nova, Case, and Midwestern were very early this year, handing out interviews in July for late August interview dates.

FYI

Schools like Nova, Case, and Midwestern were very early this year, handing out interviews in July for late August interview dates.

Thanks for the correction. I notice all these schools are private. Since some of the applicants get accepted to less expensive alternatives they may end up losing out on a lot of early acceptees. Why would they do it this early?:confused:

what about DAT scores? lets say you write DAT in May, what do you do after that? Does it automatically get sent to AADSAS or do you have to send it to schools individually?

what about DAT scores? lets say you write DAT in May, what do you do after that? Does it automatically get sent to AADSAS or do you have to send it to schools individually?

When registering to take the DAT, you pick what schools you are applying too. ADA will then mail them out to them. I believe it is $25 a school?

When registering to take the DAT, you pick what schools you are applying too. ADA will then mail them out to them. I believe it is $25 a school?

oh okay, so we dont send DAT scores to AADSAS right?

oh okay, so we dont send DAT scores to AADSAS right?

Nope, you send the scores directly to the schools (you'll get the chance to designate what schools when you sign up to take the DAT). On AADSAS, there is a space to put your scores in yourself, or the planned date of taking the test if you haven't so already.

Nope, you send the scores directly to the schools (you'll get the chance to designate what schools when you sign up to take the DAT). On AADSAS, there is a space to put your scores in yourself, or the planned date of taking the test if you haven't so already.

Thanks for clearing it up :)