How early to study for level 2? No time off of rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hakuna Matata

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school does not allow any time off to study for boards. Meaning I will be studying for this during rotations, potentially during audition rotations. How early do I start studying? And how? Something like 2 hours per night plus weekends? Tips?? I have DIT, COMBANK, COMQUEST, and Savarese. Advice please?! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

My school does not allow any time off to study for boards. Meaning I will be studying for this during rotations, potentially during audition rotations. How early do I start studying? And how? Something like 2 hours per night plus weekends? Tips?? I have DIT, COMBANK, COMQUEST, and Savarese. Advice please?! Thank you!!
We don't get time off for boards either. I'm just studying hard for each core rotation using subject specific material and doing UWorld questions. Taking a lax rotation in July to redo UWorld, take a few NBMEs, and take Step2/Level2 at the end of the month. Will probably squeeze in a pass of Savarese between both exams.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys not get vacation time to use at your leisure? Be sure to schedule an easy rotation or 2 as your last 2 if you can not get a few weeks of dedicated study time. That said its important to study hard for every shelf and use those as prep for step 2. Lastly, you did not include uworld on your list. That is higher yield than any of your study materials.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys not get vacation time to use at your leisure? Be sure to schedule an easy rotation or 2 as your last 2 if you can not get a few weeks of dedicated study time. That said its important to study hard for every shelf and use those as prep for step 2. Lastly, you did not include uworld on your list. That is higher yield than any of your study materials.

We get absolutely no vacation during our 4th year, except for a week at Christmas. My last 2 rotations are both Family Med so hopefully I'll have decent hours those months. I have been told multiple times to ignore uworld and focus on combank/comquest for COMLEX.

We get absolutely no vacation during our 4th year, except for a week at Christmas. My last 2 rotations are both Family Med so hopefully I'll have decent hours those months. I have been told multiple times to ignore uworld and focus on combank/comquest for COMLEX.
You get no breaks blocks or gaps for interviews and such? How do you get anything done?

Go with what you think is best. Most would say Uworld better preps you for both USMLE and COMLEX, with the exception of OMT. I did use comquest for the OMM questions, but other than that I used uworld, and I felt as though I scored better than most of my peers.

Literally every DO school has told their students the same thing. Don't fall into that trap. I recommend onlinemeded videos (including intern contents) if you need to quickly brush over the guidelines. The audio and notes are also excellent if you want to pay for them.

You get no breaks blocks or gaps for interviews and such? How do you get anything done?
My school doesn't allow any time off either. Unless you are scheduling for sub-i, you would want to find light rotations during these months.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Few people have much free time in 3rd year (whereas half of 4th year is a vacation). Put UWorld on your mobile device and take a high yield book with you. Take advantage of your downtime. Use the shelf exams to expose any gaps you might have for a final review - for this and Savarese, all you need is 1-2 weeks at most.

Exactly! We get a max of 4 days off a month for interviews (they claim to be lenient with that number). No time off for boards, no time off for mental health, and not sure how they are going to deal with audition rotations that start mid-month.

My biggest question is how much time is enough to study when I'm only able to do maybe a couple hours a night and weekends. 6 weeks? 10 weeks? 12 weeks?

Not all rotations are the same, and not all attendings are the same. You have to be flexible and make hay while the sun shines. If they say go home, leave and go home to study.

I started in January for step1 and step 2. This eliminates the crunch time effect and the stress.

I took Step 2 early, in the January of third year. It was nice to be done with the tests when application time came.

Make sure you schedule your Step 2 PE early, and get that out of the way......terrible test

I only studied using COMLEX/COMQUEST, never looked at a UWorld question in my life, and did great on the Step exams.