How far ahead do schools notify us of interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ost3oclast

It's Teh Internetz Dood!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok guys, so my bosses are up my *** about me letting them know 4 weeks ahead of time if I am going to be gone for med school interviews. After our initial interview invite, how long is the usual wait for the actual interview itself? I'm really hoping they give a 4 week notice, otherwise I'm going to have to quit my job (worth it though).

Members don't see this ad.

ok guys, so my bosses are up my *** about me letting them know 4 weeks ahead of time if I am going to be gone for med school interviews. After our initial interview invite, how long is the usual wait for the actual interview itself? I'm really hoping they give a 4 week notice, otherwise I'm going to have to quit my job (worth it though).

Relax mate. You get to choose the date. When they call for your invite, they'll ask what date is good for you. Just ask them if they have anything open for the following month, and they'll give you some dates to pick from. :)

Relax mate. You get to choose the date. When they call for your invite, they'll ask what date is good for you. Just ask them if they have anything open for the following month, and they'll give you some dates to pick from. :)

Really? If so, that's great news! I know that getting apps in early is extremely important. Is the same true for interviewing early? For example, is there any reason to pick a December interview date over a September if your schedule permits both?

Members don't see this ad :)
You get to choose the date. When they call for your invite, they'll ask what date is good for you. Just ask them if they have anything open for the following month, and they'll give you some dates to pick from. :)

That's not true for all schools... or even, I daresay, the majority.

Really? If so, that's great news! I know that getting apps in early is extremely important. Is the same true for interviewing early? For example, is there any reason to pick a December interview date over a September if your schedule permits both?

You should definitely pick the earliest interview date (within reason). After all, the main reason why you're submitting your secondary early is so that you can interview early.

Most (maybe all) schools do rolling admissions, so the earlier you interview, the better shot you have at being accepted.

That's not true for all schools... or even, I daresay, the majority.

Which ones? Some schools that called me would say "Ok, you're interview is on [date]"... and one time I asked "Is it possible to get a later date?" and she said "absolutely, let me check what we have.". I think if we request a LATER date, it's fine. If we want an earlier one though... they may not allow that.

Doesn't hurt to ask!

Im going to interview at the earliest possible date for sure. I was Just curious as to how early they would call us for an interview an when the earliest dates would. Thanks guys!

Which ones? Some schools that called me would say "Ok, you're interview is on [date]"... and one time I asked "Is it possible to get a later date?" and she said "absolutely, let me check what we have.". I think if we request a LATER date, it's fine. If we want an earlier one though... they may not allow that.

Doesn't hurt to ask!

That's great to hear! I think you may very well be right -- although I wouldnt' want to count on it for every school. Then again, perhaps the anecdotes I've read on SDN threads regarding very limited interview dates were due to applicants' applying late... I'll have to check.

That's great to hear! I think you may very well be right -- although I wouldnt' want to count on it for every school. Then again, perhaps the anecdotes I've read on SDN threads regarding very limited interview dates were due to applicants' applying late... I'll have to check.

I actually believe all schools would do this...they have set days to interview and will offer the chance to choose between them, especially if you ask.

Also, as a general rule from what Ive seen...if you are out of state, they give you about a months notice. In state, 2-3 weeks...there may be some exceptions to this but not many that Ive seen

I got four days notice for my LECOM-B interview. I am nearby the school so it wasn't an issue, but I didn't want to postpone because my interview was in January and I didn't want tens of other people get accepted ahead of me. It's a numbers game...

Even though LECOM told me "this is when your interview is" I'm sure I could have asked for a later date. But there is always a risk of interviewing later than when you're originally assigned.

I didn't want tens of other people get accepted ahead of me. It's a numbers game...

Exactly. What's the point of having applied early if you postpone your interviews and end up letting other students sneak in to take the acceptance that you *might* have had. I say "apply early" includes rocking your secondaries as quickly as possible as well as taking the earliest interview date possible.

I had an interview date at one school that I called and asked if they could move it up. They said they'd let me know if someone cancelled. Only a couple days later I got a call to come in for an interview with about 3 days notice (if that). So yes, in certain situations if you have a legitimate reason you can ask to move your date up ;) however, I wouldn't count on it nor bug them about it.

I have submitted all of the secondaries that I have received except CCOM and MichSU. When is the earliest I should expect notifications?