How far in advance to finalize a DAT date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eep27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've sifted through previous posts and I haven't seen an answer that really helps me decide, so I'll ask again...

How early should I submit and finalize the date for my DAT if I want to take it end of February/first week of March? I am already registered to be able to take (up until July).

I understand you can change dates, but at a cost. The testing center for me is actually at my college so traveling/etc is no issue for me (not a factor in selecting a date). I'm just wondering is it significantly safer to select something way in advance, or 3-4 weeks in advance is acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

If you already have an idea of when you want to take it, I say schedule sooner rather than later. I tried scheduling 3-4 weeks before I wanted to take it and there were no spots available, so I had to settle for a later date. I noticed that these spots that were once filled, then opened up about a week before that date. This is is probably due to people changing their own tests to a later one. I would not count on this, its just a pattern I noticed.

I scheduled mine two weeks before. A lot of spots were taken and I ended up having to take it on a Wednesday morning at 8 am and miss 3 classes, which wasn't ideal. So, sign up sooner rather than later!

Be careful not to wait too long to schedule a date. I did, and ended up having to travel to a different testing center (45 mins away vs what would have been in my city).