How good are my chances at a school like Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted904921

Hey guys. My dream dental school is Columbia and it became recent when I really wanted to go all in but I don't think I've started with the right path when I started school.

My overall GPA is a 3.52 and my science GPA is pretty low 3.02 and that's where I have my biggest regrets... but on the DAT i got a 22 TS/22 AA/ 21 PAT so I don't know how much of a difference that makes but I want to ask for advice.
I am taking biochem right now and I might end with another B+ sigh but I'm also taking 2 upper level science classes that I can receive A's in (genetics and an upper neuro class)

I'm also not a science major so I feel like my science GPA should be a lot higher :(

I'm very involved though- on 2 dance teams, around 100 hours of shadowing, also an RA, over 50 hours of volunteering, on eboard in various clubs/organizations

I know GPA isn't everything but for top schools like Columbia I feel like I am lacking. Please give honest and critical feedback.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you’re a URM, seems like your chances are slim

Reactions: 1 user
Like that one guy said on FB apply early, keep up with volunteering and shadowing.

I recommend you get 300+ hours of volunteering and 250+ for shadowing though. Columbia has high averages but accept a range of students. So the biggest thing you have to do is stand out. Make sure your personal statement is true to you and not generic or a sorry story that doesn't show why you want to be a dentist.

I have 2 C's on my transcript lol but I tried to offset that by making sure to have an upward trend in GPA and my application has a central theme and everything I put in there is consequential to that theme. Basically make your application well rounded.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have nearly identical scores (both GPA and DAT) and I didn't bother applying to Columbia. I don't regret it either because I haven't even heard back from schools like NYU despite applying early. Up until now, I'm only 2/13 for interviews this cycle.

We're well below the average sGPA (3.55) and slightly below the average DAT (23) of first-time enrollees at Columbia. Your ECs are pretty good but probably not enough to offset your sGPA. You can always test your luck and apply if money isn't an issue but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Stop dreaming so much and start studying more. If you up your GPA and your DAT you might have a chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Columbia is a crapshoot. I have seen people with ridiculously high stats not even get an interview while others with lower stats are admitted.

That being said their DAT average is a 23. And I hear they pick applicants that stand out.

Definitely up your hours for shadowing and volunteering (And GPA if you can) but tbh its a shot in the dark. No one really knows what admins are looking for. I applied to Columbia this cycle in early August with a 3.8 oGPA/3.7 sGPA, 22 AA / 22 TS / 29 PAT and I didn't get an interview yet (but probably not at all). So if you really want to go, apply super early and hope for the best, but don't be too disappointed if you don't hear back