How good is Kaplan in class review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I signed up for the big mamma of Kaplan Step 1 review (3 or 4 week in class review). I was wondering how good it is, and if it's adequate on its own, or if I need to spend MSI summer reviewing. So far I've got B's in all my first year classes, and so I think I know the material pretty well. Do I need to stress on my own or just get through the last 2 blocks next fall then take Kaplan in the spring?

thanks, worried MI

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do the 3 or 4 week review. But we had 3 weekends where a kaplan prof came and lectured on PHY, PHA, and PATH (friday 6-10, saturday 8-4 and sunday 8-4). Every every class I walked out thinking.."i wish i could take boards right now" because they are so good. It really does a good job of filling in the gaps. My only regret is that the classes weren't closer to my actual board date. I take mine on the 12th so I don't have any proof of how good they are in terms of a score to give you.

Oh and I'm not sure if you are allopathic or osteopathic. I'm a DO student, but the classes are structured pretty much the same. Sometimes the prof would say someithng like..."if you are going to take the USMLE focus a little more on this, etc."

does anyone know if you get access to the videos if you purchased the books/qbank. We had to buy it (or were encouraged to) during orientation last year, and I was curious if it is all one thing (it cost like 1100 if I remember correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if you get access to the videos if you purchased the books/qbank. We had to buy it (or were encouraged to) during orientation last year, and I was curious if it is all one thing (it cost like 1100 if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure what you bought so I can't really answer your question, but the options we were given were the lectures (which would include the books, qbank, and the videos) or webprep (which was just $25 less, that included the books, videos, and qbank.) I did webprep. I'm beginning to think I should've done the lectures....

To answer some questions:
I'm an MD student, and I signed-up for the in-class lectures versus the web-review. I figured I wanted someone to keep me on track, tho the webreview worked well for my MCAT prep.

Good luck to all who are eagerly/frantically/nervously waiting to take step 1!

I'm not sure how you access the videos you're talking about, but I got a set of the Kaplan lectures and notes on DVD for $0 and I can let you "use" them for a few days if you want haha :D

Question:

Would there be more "gain" from attending a live lecture, as opposed to simply watching the lectures on video? Surely both talk about/cover the same material.

May seem like a silly question, but not really.