How hard is it to get In-state Tuition for the Public Osteopathic schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is worth applying to MSUCOM to get in-state tuition and become a resident. If it is too difficult or not worth it, I won't do it, but I heard MSUCOM (Michigan state) is good. I'm not sure what the other public osteopathic schools are.

Members don't see this ad.

"Non-dependent Students.

A non-dependent student will be considered domiciled in Michigan if he/she has resided in Michigan for the twelve (12) months immediately preceding the first day of classes of the semester for which he/she is seeking in-state tuition status, and also meets either of the following criteria:
  1. The student, or the student’s spouse, is employed in Michigan in a full-time, permanent job, and the employment is the primary purpose for the student's presence in Michigan; or
  2. The student has not enrolled in any academic courses at any two-year or four-year degree granting institution during this twelve-month period."
Source: MSU RO:Regulations for Qualifying for In-State Tuition

Very easy at TCOM. They give most OOS students a $1K scholarship which qualifies them for in state tuition. OOS students pay $1K less in tuition each year than residents do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow MSU is $80,000 OOS tuition. I think that rules me out for that school because I'd have to pay $80,000 as least 1 or 2 years.