How Helpful is OMM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering for all the osteopathic students who have done or are doing PM&R, how helpful is OMM to the actual practice of PM&R? I was wondering if I should do a rotation in OMM and whether it would help me out with future PM&R rotations.

Members don't see this ad.

OMM is a nice tool to have. It can help to differentiate you from your competitors, and may help some of your patients. It might even add to your collections.

Unless you do osteopath PM&R, the allopathic docs won't usually let you do OMM to their patients on rotations with them durnig school and residency.

Never turn down an opportunity to learn a skill you might use some day.

I've had allopathic attendings that have asked me to perform OMT on their patients so it is definitely attending specific. Go to a place with a few DOs on staff if you want to keep your skills up.

I don't use it regularly but on occasion it has come in useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree w DrJay; I am at an allopathic residency where I am able to maintain my skills by treating other residents and at times an Allopathic attending will ask me to assist in treating their patient with manipulation. It's a great extra tool to have if it is something you are interested in.

As a DO PM&R intern (can't wait for July 1st), I see OMM as a useful adjunct but certainly not the ultimate treatment modality in an MSK or sports med clinic. I really think proper diagnosis, good PT prescription, and patient compliance and diligence with the PT program result in better long term outcomes than OMM by itself. However, OMM can certainly be beneficial to get the ball rolling on the patient's treatment. As a med student, I just remember so many patients that came through the OMM clinic that got a week or two of relief after a treatment but never getting to the bottom of the problem.

OMM is a great tool. I always find it funny when docs feel OMM is voodoo but think PT is great. Most manip done by PTs is in fact based on OMT. At a minimum, being familiar with OMT and the techniques will allow you to write better PT rx's and also helps for boards.

I have many pt's who see me for OMT. They tend to be loyal compliant pts.

I know this is sort of off topic, but my mom went in to a family practice doc, was unable to see her primary and was scheduled with a DO. The DO did OMT and didn't really get clearance from my mom to do it. She was not happy.

Always tell them what you intend to do.

Aside from the benefits of palpation, I think OMM teaches you the skill of observation. There is a lot that you can learn from the patient before laying hands on them. Plus, coming from a DO background I think that you start thinking about the kinetic chain perspective from day 1. This is a huge benefit/advantage since it can take a while to understand this concept.

I know this is sort of off topic, but my mom went in to a family practice doc, was unable to see her primary and was scheduled with a DO. The DO did OMT and didn't really get clearance from my mom to do it. She was not happy.

Always tell them what you intend to do.

HVLA I assume? This is not the first time I've heard this. I understand being busy and all, but to not take a moment and discuss this with a patient before doing it is unthinkable.