How I Passed the BCPS Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I got a lot of questions regarding how I did on the exam, request for pointers, and what material I used to review. So here is my tell all on how I passed. For reference, I did decent with a passing score in the low 600s.

Material I used to study for the 2018 Spring BCPS exam:
  • 2018 ACCP Updates in Therapeutics (disease state, study design, and biostats sections only)
    • All of volume 1
    • Volume 2 excluding "Policy, Practice, and Regulatory Issues" and the "ADDITIONAL RESOURCES"
  • 2016 ACCP Updates in Therapeutics (Misc Chapters Only)
    • "Drug Information Resources and Literature Retrieval," "Managing a Clinical Practice," "Principles and Methods of Educating Health Care Professionals," "Communication Strategies in Pharmacy," "Practices and Processes of Care/ Organizational Agreements/ Special Issues in Pharmacy Practice," and "Policy, Practice, and Regulatory Issues"
  • Skimmed 2018 ADA guidelines for DM and most recent CV guidelines

Practice exams I used and my scores AFTER I studied thoroughly (I took them about 1 week prior to my exam date):
  • ASHP Pharmacotherapy Specialty Review Course PRACTICE EXAM - 53.98%
  • This free question bank at pharmacyquestionbank - didn't record my initial score (SDN wouldn't let me post the link)
  • ACCP Pharmacotherapy Mock Exam - 63.43%
  • Meded101 BCPS Practice Exam - high 70% range I believe
Other material I used:
  • ASHP flip cards - some information is outdated, but I found it useful only to get used to test taking again
  • created my own cheat sheet of random drugs facts and laws
  • CYP chart @ the Indiana University School of Medicine (can't post the link)
Here is some solid advice that I would have found helpful that I didn't receive from anyone:
  • Don't underestimate the value of "having a feel" for answering exam questions under time constraints, especially if you've been out of school for a while. Figure out how long it typically takes you to answer questions. If you take too long (more than 1.5 minutes), then figure out why. I learned that I test quickly (I finished the exam under half the allowed time), but I was often getting questions wrong on the mock exams for not answering the question being asked.
  • You need to be proficient in biostats (particularly the math), study design, and policy (both regulatory and health system policy). This is 45% of the exam. If you think you'll be able to just fly by with clinical knowledge alone, you're wrong.
  • The clinical questions are potpourri. Study as much clinical as you like, but I felt I only knew half of the clinical questions' answers 100%. Don't let the comments about particular questions on these forum steer your studying. Personally, I did not agree with other people's assessments of the question breakdown. Pick and choose your battles here.
  • Anticoagulation is not sufficiently covered in the ACCP Updates in Therapeutics material in my opinion.
My timeline and personal details that may matter to you:
  • I gave myself 2 months to study with the bulk of my studying done in the 2nd month. I am a bit of a procrastinator.
  • I would say that I'm an above average test taker.
  • I do not have kids, but I am married.
  • I work in insurance, but I did not really have time to study for the exam during work. I mostly put in hours on the weekends.
  • I did not do a residency. My background is in retail, management, and insurance. I also do part time work in academia.
  • I took a couple days off from work just before my exam day to study and relax.
  • I reviewed most of the ACCP packets only once. I remember going through cardiology, critical care, and fluids more than once. After the exam, I didn't think that helped much. I went over the biostats and study design chapters multiple times.
  • I didn't have audio for the 2018 ACCP Updates in Therapeutics, but I did for the 2016 edition. I would listen to those on my commute to and from work.
<WARNING: some ranting> What I think people shouldn't do after they take their exam:
  • Mull over questions they remembered and research, then consequently realize they got wrong. You can't change it, and you'll go crazy focusing only on the few questions you probably got incorrect.
  • Don't offer people guidance about specifics on your exam. You'll for one, ruin the curving, and two, create bias in the head of the test taker. It's a disservice to everyone. This exam isn't like the NAPLEX, where we are tested on minimum competency. This is a test for competency at a higher level. This should mean something to you if you're taking this exam.
  • Burn all of your study material. Wait until you get your score, then burn it smithereens (if you passed).
I'm happy to answer any other questions. I know some people had asked me for my material for a nominal fee. I apologize for being completely AWOL from the forum after my exam, but I'm back! If you had asked me before in a previous post or message, please message me again.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Naplex is a joke.... Can't compare to Bcps, of course.

I studied a few days for the NAPLEX and knew the answers to some questions just by reading just the answers. The NAPLEX is much easier exam, both content and structure-wise.

Can you qualify to take the BCPS after working three years straight in the retail setting only ?

From previous posts I've read, it is possible if you do more than just dispensing activities. I haven't heard of anyone being audited for experience to date, but that also doesn't meant that it doesn't happen.

Do you get anything from obtaining the certification besides a pat on the back?

I see it as a long term play. It's hard to say if it's really worth it in the short term. I've started to see some job postings prefer pharmacists with board certification and some requiring it within 1 year of starting this position.

**edit** just saw two job postings today requiring eligibility for or current board certification ... times are definitely changing

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
The Bcps is harder than California CPJE alone.... NAPLEX is the basic requirement for anyone too pass the minimum competencies in order to be licensed as a pharmacist. Bcps, on the other hand focuses more advanced, analytical thinking in order to pass. Even some of my friends who have worked inpatient for many years, still failed the exam when they didn't study/prep enough.

I find it's extremely difficult to pass if you only have experience in retail setting. Don't get me wrong. I am sure there are always some geniuses or very smart pharmacists who can pass first time and only had retail experiences .. But the chance is very slim because you compete against most folks who work as inpatient pharmacists who day in and day out practice under clinical protocols and guidelines. The Bcps is graded on curve.... Don't forget that.

Reactions: 2 users
I qualified to sit for BCPS after residency but opted to wait...a lot of how I passed it derived from my clinical activities (ID stewardship, etc...)

As for pat on he back, I got the exam paid for and I get an extra week of pay per year for having it, so it offsets the annual fee and then some.

Retail 3 years makes it almost impossible to pass this exam, but I’m sure you could study (are you even eligible?)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I got a lot of questions regarding how I did on the exam, request for pointers, and what material I used to review. So here is my tell all on how I passed. For reference, I did decent with a passing score in the low 600s.

• 2018 ACCP Updates in Therapeutics (disease state, study design, and biostats sections only)
    • All of volume 1
    • Volume 2 excluding "Policy, Practice, and Regulatory Issues" and the "ADDITIONAL RESOURCES"
    • "Drug Information Resources and Literature Retrieval," "Managing a Clinical Practice," "Principles and Methods of Educating Health Care Professionals," "Communication Strategies in Pharmacy," "Practices and Processes of Care/ Organizational Agreements/ Special Issues in Pharmacy Practice," and "Policy, Practice, and Regulatory Issues"

Practice exams I used and my scores AFTER I studied thoroughly (I took them about 1 week prior to my exam date):
  • This free question bank at pharmacyquestionbank - didn't record my initial score (SDN wouldn't let me post the link)
Other material I used:
  • ASHP flip cards - some information is outdated, but I found it useful only to get used to test taking again
Here is some solid advice that I would have found helpful that I didn't receive from anyone:
  • Don't underestimate the value of "having a feel" for answering exam questions under time constraints, especially if you've been out of school for a while. Figure out how long it typically takes you to answer questions. If you take too long (more than 1.5 minutes), then figure out why. I learned that I test quickly (I finished the exam under half the allowed time), but I was often getting questions wrong on the mock exams for not answering the question being asked.
  • You need to be proficient in biostats (particularly the math), study design, and policy (both regulatory and health system policy). This is 45% of the exam. If you think you'll be able to just fly by with clinical knowledge alone, you're wrong.
  • The clinical questions are potpourri. Study as much clinical as you like, but I felt I only knew half of the clinical questions' answers 100%. Don't let the comments about particular questions on these forum steer your studying. Personally, I did not agree with other people's assessments of the question breakdown. Pick and choose your battles here.
  • Anticoagulation is not sufficiently covered in the ACCP Updates in Therapeutics material in my opinion.
  • I gave myself 2 months to study with the bulk of my studying done in the 2nd month. I am a bit of a procrastinator.
  • I work in insurance, but I did not really have time to study for the exam during work. I mostly put in hours on the weekends.
  • I did not do a residency. My background is in retail, management, and insurance. I also do part time work in academia.
  • I took a couple days off from work just before my exam day to study and relax.
  • I reviewed most of the ACCP packets only once. I remember going through cardiology, critical care, and fluids more than once. After the exam, I didn't think that helped much. I went over the biostats and study design chapters multiple times.
  • I didn't have audio for the 2018 ACCP Updates in Therapeutics, but I did for the 2016 edition. I would listen to those on my commute to and from work.
<WARNING: some ranting> What I think people shouldn't do after they take their exam:
  • Mull over questions they remembered and research, then consequently realize they got wrong. You can't change it, and you'll go crazy focusing only on the few questions you probably got incorrect.
  • Don't offer people guidance about specifics on your exam. You'll for one, ruin the curving, and two, create bias in the head of the test taker. It's a disservice to everyone. This exam isn't like the NAPLEX, where we are tested on minimum competency. This is a test for competency at a higher level. This should mean something to you if you're taking this exam.
  • Burn all of your study material. Wait until you get your score, then burn it smithereens (if you passed).
I'm happy to answer any other questions. I know some people had asked me for my material for a nominal fee. I apologize for being completely AWOL from the forum after my exam, but I'm back! If you had asked me before in a previous post or message, please message me again.

Congrats!

The Bcps is harder than California CPJE alone.... NAPLEX is the basic requirement for anyone too pass the minimum competencies in order to be licensed as a pharmacist. Bcps, on the other hand focuses more advanced, analytical thinking in order to pass. Even some of my friends who have worked inpatient for many years, still failed the exam when they didn't study/prep enough.

I find it's extremely difficult to pass if you only have experience in retail setting. Don't get me wrong. I am sure there are always some geniuses or very smart pharmacists who can pass first time and only had retail experiences .. But the chance is very slim because you compete against most folks who work as inpatient pharmacists who day in and day out practice under clinical protocols and guidelines. The Bcps is graded on curve.... Don't forget that.

Ok thanks so much for your input. I just really wanted to know if it was possible to qualify as a retail pharmacist.

I qualified to sit for BCPS after residency but opted to wait...a lot of how I passed it derived from my clinical activities (ID stewardship, etc...)

As for pat on he back, I got the exam paid for and I get an extra week of pay per year for having it, so it offsets the annual fee and then some.

Retail 3 years makes it almost impossible to pass this exam, but I’m sure you could study (are you even eligible?)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know it sucks been a new grad in 2018. And that why I’m scared I may not be eligible for the exam in the first place. I don’t wanna do PGY1 after getting use to making six figures that why I’m just preparing an exit strategy from retail ahead of time. I ll see if I can get a part time of PRN at a hospital or LTC. If all else fails, I ll see if my three years retail experience can qualify for any clinical PGY2 since they are relatively less competitive than PGY1 ( in terms of quantity of applicant)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thanks so much for your input. I just really wanted to know if it was possible to qualify as a retail pharmacist.

I know it sucks been a new grad in 2018. And that why I’m scared I may not be eligible for the exam in the first place. I don’t wanna do PGY1 after getting use to making six figures that why I’m just preparing an exit strategy from retail ahead of time. I ll see if I can get a part time of PRN at a hospital or LTC. If all else fails, I ll see if my three years retail experience can qualify for any clinical PGY2 since they are relatively less competitive than PGY1 ( in terms of quantity of applicant)

I know a pharmacist that was in retail for 5 years and went back for residency. His words exactly were "best decision I've ever made." regarding going to residency. Situations change with time. Keep that in mind.

It's actually not that ludicrous of a comparison.

Same. I know several people who took it and said it was pretty standard stuff...but they work inpatient at all the level 1s in the state. I guess it would be hard for retail rphs who've been out of school for a while but should be standard sht for anyone with residency or inpatient exp.

Best of luck. I like the way you think, though I think if you are planning to go the clinical route then you should make a run for it as soon as you can get your debt situation under control. That's what I should have done. It's easy to get caught up in the daily grind and let the good years go by. I feel like 30 is the new 40 in pharmacy now.

Same. I know several people who took it and said it was pretty standard stuff...but they work inpatient at all the level 1s in the state. I guess it would be hard for retail rphs who've been out of school for a while but should be standard sht for anyone with residency or inpatient exp.

The main difference between the two exams are the availability of study resources (i.e. exam questions floating around). But once you have the necessary resources, studying for it is just like any other exam.

Nope. You can't even sit for BCACP after three years retail unless you're directly participating in patient coaching, etc as your main area of practice. Verification/DUR/outcomes stuff doesn't count.

I don't think anyone here can say for sure if three years of retail means you automatically don't qualify unless you're on the inside of the application review process. If your experience is commensurate to the target activities on the content outline, I don't see why you wouldn't qualify no matter what your practice setting is. No where on the BPS website does it say that you need to work in a certain sector to qualify for the BCPS exam. The marketing/targeting is different for the sub-specialty board certifications.

That being said, if you are basically just an order verification pharmacist with a clock in and clock out mentality, then I don't think you qualify on principle. BPS can also audit your experience. While I haven't heard of any post-exam auditing, I know colleagues that did have to submit documentation to BPS prior to being approved for the exam describing how 50% of their job title ties to the BCPS experiential requirements.

Can we give BCPS exam after greduation only or in any age? The reference you gave does it also work for the neplex as well ?

I'm not taking the exam but I am using some of the old accp stuff to freshen up on things and I was wondering: off all the practice question banks that you use, is there one that is arranged by topic? For example, questions about diabetes, dislipidemia, HF? I think it is easier to study a topic and then do the questions on that topic to make sure you get the concepts down. Many thanks!

• All of volume 1

Other material I used:
Hi. Thank you for posting the study tips. I find them to be very helpful. Do you think the accp materials adequately prepared you for the biostats? If not, what other materials did you use to study? Thank you in advance.

Hi. Thank you for posting the study tips. I find them to be very helpful. Do you think the accp materials adequately prepared you for the biostats? If not, what other materials did you use to study? Thank you in advance.
For biostats, I reviewed the RXPrep book that I used to prepare for NAPLEX. It has a couple good chapters on the topic .

From previous posts I've read, it is possible if you do more than just dispensing activities. I haven't heard of anyone being audited for experience to date, but that also doesn't meant that it doesn't happen.

I am interested in being certified in oncology. I work in oncology pharmacy but my specific role is not clinical. The BPS board said one of the requirement is 4 years of practice experience. For someone who works in retail, how can they get proof of that? Wouldn't that be the first thing the board checks for eligibility?

• All of volume 1

Other material I used:

Question for OP: I have started taking practice quizzes in the ACCP study material. My scores are usually 65-75%. I noticed you also got similar scores in the practice tests listed above. Do you think these practice questions are harder than the actual BCPS exam? If I am getting ~70% of the questions right is that a sign Im on the right track? b/c so far it has been discouraging me.

Question for OP: I have started taking practice quizzes in the ACCP study material. My scores are usually 65-75%. I noticed you also got similar scores in the practice tests listed above. Do you think these practice questions are harder than the actual BCPS exam? If I am getting ~70% of the questions right is that a sign Im on the right track? b/c so far it has been discouraging me.
Sadly, OP has left the forum.

I took BCPS this fall. I scored 538. If you get 65-75% in ACCP study material, then you are good to go. The question level is almost similar. I was getting around 60% questions correct and I still made it. Don't be discouraged. You are doing really good. Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
I know this is a semi-old thread but are the "practice quizzes in the ACCP study materials" the 13 self-assessment questions in the front of the chapter? or are there practice quizzes on the website?
Thanks

I know this is a semi-old thread but are the "practice quizzes in the ACCP study materials" the 13 self-assessment questions in the front of the chapter? or are there practice quizzes on the website?
Thanks
There are practice questions in each chapter but you can buy a separate 175 question mock exam from ACCP. I used it and highly recommend it

There are practice questions in each chapter but you can buy a separate 175 question mock exam from ACCP. I used it and highly recommend it

I also highly recommend the ACCP Flip-Cards, they were super helpful, and it was nice to have something I could just keep with me at all times and flip through a few when I had extra time.