how important is CACREP accrediation for a MCH masters program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellowfe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, i'm looking at MHC programs and have a question regarding accreditation. Right now i'm a student at the university of north florida and am looking at their program because of cost/convivence, but I am also looking at applying to some other schools such as Columbia-TC.

However I've noticed that columbia's program isn't CACREP accredited while UNF is. How important is this accreditation and is it something that I should look for in other schools MHC programs?

I'm a veteran so using the GI Bill i basically have a free ride for grad school so I don't want to muck it up by choosing a bad program, assuming I get admitted to whatever school I end up deciding to go to of course. Right now I"m just spending countless hours researching schools trying to figure out which is right for me.

Also on that topic has anybody here gone to or heard about UF (university of Florida's) MHC program?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also a veteran using the GI Bill... and this question about CACREP was a big concern that I had last year when I was looking into programs. It all depends on the laws that your state has regarding licensing requirements for Professional Counseling/MHC. Some only specify that you meet the standards set by CACREP (which some non-CACREP accredited schools follow), while others (the number is growing) require that anyone applying for licensure as a LMHC, LPC, etc be a graduate of a CACREP accredited master's program.

Also, the NCC credential (which is on it's way to becoming the national standard for counseling) requires graduation from a CACREP accredited program. There are a few ways around this, but you're going to be working a lot harder and spending A LOT of money.

The reason why CACREP programs cost more is mainly because of length (around 60 credits) and lower teacher : student ratios than non-accredited programs. Plus the accreditation itself costs money.

CACREP is also the only accrediting counseling education authority recognized by the ACA.

This is a BIG deal. If you care about your future career in mental health, especially when tuition money is not a concern for you, I don't know why you wouldn't choose a CACREP program.

Last edited:
interesting post, thanks for the reply. It is definitely something i'm looking, and its alittle bit confusing since alot of the more well know schools like Columbia aren't accredited. This whole problem of finding a good school is definitely giving me a headache lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I said, it all depends on state requirements for licensing. Maybe New York doesn't require it. Also, even though Columbia might not be accredited... they could still be on their way. If you're interested in going there I would definitely check into it.

My opinion, though, is that if you are interested in working as a Masters-level clinician/therapist... I wouldn't worry too much about the name or overall prestige of the school that you are applying to. Course content, accreditation, quality of internships, overall success of passing state/national exams, and the percentage of graduates who become licensed would be more important to me. You can find a lot of good graduate schools that are less well known in the general sense, but have great programs in counseling and are actually pretty well known within the field.

Are you living in NY or anywhere on the east coast? If so, there are SO MANY schools out here with great programs... that I would say prepare graduates equally (or sometimes better) than many of the top tier universities. Send me a PM if you'd like to talk.

Last edited:
According to Columbia's website, they do not have any masters programs in counseling or psychology. On the other hand, they do have a PhD program in Psychology. Since CACREP only accredits masters programs in Counseling and PhD programs in Counselor Education... this would be the reason why they are not accredited. Additionally, Columbia's PhD in Psychology does not even appear to be APA accredited, while the Psychology PhDs at Teachers College are.

I can understand why you would be confused here.

List of CACREP accredited programs (pdf): http://www.cacrep.org/directory-0809.pdf
Columbia Masters programs: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsas/pages/pstudents/acad-prg/ma-prg-list/index.html
Columbia PhD programs: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsas/pages/pstudents/acad-prg/phd-prg-list/index.html
Columbia Psych dep.: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/psychology/graduate/overview/index.html
Teacher's College Counseling Psych dep.: http://www.tc.edu/ccp/CounPsych/
APA accredited Coun. Psych. programs: http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/counspsy.html

Last edited:
According to Columbia's website, they do not have any masters programs in counseling or psychology. On the other hand, they do have a PhD program in Psychology. Since CACREP only accredits masters programs in Counseling and PhD programs in Counselor Education... this would be the reason why they are not accredited. Additionally, Columbia's PhD in Psychology does not even appear to be APA accredited, while the Psychology PhDs at Teachers College are.

List of CACREP accredited programs (pdf): http://www.cacrep.org/directory-0809.pdf
Columbia Masters programs: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsas/pages/pstudents/acad-prg/ma-prg-list/index.html
Columbia PhD programs: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsas/pages/pstudents/acad-prg/phd-prg-list/index.html
Columbia Psych dep.: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/psychology/graduate/overview/index.html
APA accredited Coun. Psych. programs: http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/counspsy.html

Thanks for the info, they do have a masters in counseling through, here's the link:

http://www.tc.columbia.edu/academic/CCP/PsychCoun/proginfo.asp

they have two tracks, one a school counseling and one the mental health one. I'm not planning on going to grad school for awhile through (looking at fall 2011) so i have a while to figure out where, what I want to do.

I go to Columbia and am in the Psychological Counseling Masters Program in the track for Mental Health Counseling.

It is the Teachers College part of the university.

I go to Columbia and am in the Psychological Counseling Masters Program in the track for Mental Health Counseling.

It is the Teachers College part of the university.

Would you have any information to offer him/her with regards to the question about attending a counseling program at a non-CACREP accredited school and how it may effect licensure?? I know that a lot of times it depends on the state legislature of where you school is... but does anyone in your program ever talk about how you might be licensed outside of New York? I think that is what he/she is most concerned about here.

Somebody pleeeease help?
I just graduated with a BA in Psychology in 2010 and have been trying to come to a decision between applying to MHC, MSW, and PsyD programs. My GPA was 3.9 and I have field related undergrad research experience I did in a CNS (cognitive, neurological, and sensory) lab as well. I'm not entirely sure how competitive of an applicant I am seeing as how everyone is going back to school, and I'm also not sure which program would benefit me or my personal goals long-term. I ended up taking a slot in a MHC (mental health counseling) program where I currently live, here in Florida, as a result of my overwhelming confusion! Not to say that this is not the right place for me as it very well may be but I did feel pressured to choose something, anything in the related field as not to remain idle!? I cannot seem to get the straight forward answers to the following questions:
How, other than becoming an educator, would a PhD benefit someone in the counseling profession?
Is a MA in clinical psychology better than a MA in MHC when it comes to job oppertunity?
Is a PsyD program well suited for someone who is not exceedingly research driven?

I'm ultimately looking to become a therapist/counselor in a private practice (and hopefully someday my own practice). I've searched many websites and found a mix of LPC, PhD, PsyD, and LCSWs holding this position. I realize this is a competitive field, so I expect to hold other jobs prior to attaining this goal. I'm most interested in marriage and family and couples therapy, possibly school counseling and mental health issues as well. While I'm certainly not going into this field for the money, I would like to be able to search out a degree that will meet the expense of a comfortable lifestyle.

I prefer the “clinical” based coursework found in most PsyD programs and I feel that these programs may better prepare me for individualized counseling which is my passion, but are the additional years in academia worth it? Can I really do what I want to do as an LPC or MHC? Will I feel limited by this degree? Will an MA program equip me to “successfully“open a private practice? I plan on living in Florida, Hawaii¸ California, or Washington D.C., and cannot make sense of all this alphabet soup i.e., LPC, PhD, PsyD, LCSW, MHC!!!!!!!
I realize the licensure is relative to the individual state laws however, any feedback on the clout and reciprocity behind the individual degrees would be so greatly appreciated, truly.

Can't answer all of your Qs, but I can answer some.

Generally, masters in clinical psychology are not immediately/directly licensable in a practicing capacity (aside from states like MI where you can become a LLP). A CACREP accredited masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (60 credits) is the way to go if you want a masters in counseling/MH.

Some masters in mental health counseling are more clinical than others. CACREP has some required courses, but programs often have a slant to themselves. In my state, having an LPC only allows you to utilize some of the axes (axises?) in the DSM. Becoming a Licensed Mental Health Service Provider (some more tests to pass, specific courses to have taken, specific prior superivsed experiences) allows you to diagnosis all you'd like. The use of psychometrics is an entirely separate dealio.

The state(s) you ultimately want to practice in should help guide you between the LPC, LMFT, LCSW, and licensed psychologist. Some are preferred (by the people and insurance companies) more than others in different states.

Wow! Thank you, you are the first to know the specifics i was looking for. It is comical really to realize that there are a great many people in the field that cannot even answer these questions so i thank you for both your knowledge and time.

I am deciding between going to Marywood University and PCOM to get my Master's in Mental Health Counseling. Marywood is CACREP accredited and PCOM is not. Does anyone have any knowledge in this field? From what I am seeing Marywood might be a better option but I'm not sure!?

I am deciding between going to Marywood University and PCOM to get my Master's in Mental Health Counseling. Marywood is CACREP accredited and PCOM is not. Does anyone have any knowledge in this field? From what I am seeing Marywood might be a better option but I'm not sure!?

I don't know either program, though you generally want to find a program that has:

1. The highest/most recognized acred. for the degree.
2. Residential classes from an established university
3. A track record of placing students in positions that you would like to pursue.
4. Reasonable tuition.

Reasonable tuition is hard to find in the last few years. Even traditionally affordable state universities have increased their tuition. A place like the University of Florida (solid public university) has raised their tuition a ridiculous % in the last handful of years because of rising costs, so it isn't just private programs that cost an arm and a leg.

For full disclosure, I am completely against online education, for-profit institutions, and programs that have minimal standards for admittance...so my points pretty much eliminate anyone who isn't a legit college/university with a decent reputation. Night classes are a great compromise for folks who need to work during the day, just don't fall for the marketing of online training programs. I'm in the field, I work with all sorts of folks, and almost universally students from the more questionable programs are not given the same consideration for jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I have been asking around a lot and everyone is telling me to go to an accred. school. PCOM isn't an online school, if maybe you thought that, Philadelphia School of Osteopathic Medicine, located in Philadelphia. They have a good track record but if they aren't CACREP accred. I'm thinking that won't mean much when I want to sit for my License in a few years...

thanks for your input it was appreciated!

Also, the NCC credential (which is on it's way to becoming the national standard for counseling) requires graduation from a CACREP accredited program. There are a few ways around this, but you're going to be working a lot harder and spending A LOT of money.

I graduated from a 48 hour (the amount needed in my state for LPC licensure) non CACREP program and upon full licensure will be eligible for the NCC credential. This was confirmed with NBCC.

I graduated from a 48 hour (the amount needed in my state for LPC licensure) non CACREP program and upon full licensure will be eligible for the NCC credential. This was confirmed with NBCC.

I was wrong when I wrote that in 2009. What I should have said is...

You can take the NCE and apply for the NCC immediately upon graduation from a CACREP program. If you graduate from a non-CACREP school, you will need to wait until you receive your license to also receive your NCC credential.

Thanks for the check!

LPCs are now being hired by the Department of Veterans Affairs. However, to be considered your school must be CACREP accredited. VA generally has better salaries and benefits than non-profits or private hospitals. Something to consider when choosing a school!

CACREP doesn't really matter, there are a few benefits, but not enough to make all that big of a difference. I was able to take the NCE my last semester of my masters program. It is easier to obtain your NCC coming from a CACREP school, but in the end.... if i had to pay a higher tuition or a school that I liked better.. I wouldn't choose a CACREP school over another just because of the CACREP.

CACREP doesn't really matter, there are a few benefits, but not enough to make all that big of a difference. I was able to take the NCE my last semester of my masters program. It is easier to obtain your NCC coming from a CACREP school, but in the end.... if i had to pay a higher tuition or a school that I liked better.. I wouldn't choose a CACREP school over another just because of the CACREP.
I would be cautious of these sentiments for prospective students, especially if you are interested in MA-level licensure. Be sure to look into state laws. It seems like CACREP is making much more of a stronghold with future legislature and professional impacts (e.g. VA, quicker route to licensure, Tri-care policy effective in 2013 or 2014)

I would be cautious of these sentiments for prospective students, especially if you are interested in MA-level licensure. Be sure to look into state laws. It seems like CACREP is making much more of a stronghold with future legislature and professional impacts (e.g. VA, quicker route to licensure, Tri-care policy effective in 2013 or 2014)

Indeed, CACREP and CORE are valuable accreditation from state to state. It's important not to conflate the ability to be licensed with the value of the accreditation. They are also important because of the reasons stated above as well as others addressed on the CACREP and CORE websites. As with any major investment, you should research programs that you may want to go into and make judgments based on your values (research options, licensure, funding and cost, location, etc.).

Indeed, CACREP and CORE are valuable accreditation from state to state. It's important not to conflate the ability to be licensed with the value of the accreditation. They are also important because of the reasons stated above as well as others addressed on the CACREP and CORE websites. As with any major investment, you should research programs that you may want to go into and make judgments based on your values (research options, licensure, funding and cost, location, etc.).

This, exactly.

Be aware that CACREP is now the standard to bill Tricare. If you were licensed before now, you can be grandfathered in, but after recent changes -- you will have to have attended a CACREP school to work with Tricare. If you want to work with military family and vets, be aware that the school you attend can affect the population you work with. This also varies by Tricare region -- I'll have to see if it has filtered thru to all regions.

I do not see the Tricare/CACREP situation changing anytime soon as it was just recently put into effect. However, also be aware that if you want to work with the elderly, only LCSW (well you know, and PHDs) can bill Medicare. This, IMHO will probably change in the future. It's been on the legislative table since 2008, I think (roundabouts there) and has been approved but didn't make it out of the year end mess. Eventually I'm sure CACREP schooled counselors (haha) will be able to bill Medicare, like they did with the VA and LPCs.

Like bellows said, research your options and make choices on your values. Very important at the masters level. Just be aware that the school you choose can restrict your practice later.

Hey there, i'm looking at MHC programs and have a question regarding accreditation. Right now i'm a student at the university of north florida and am looking at their program because of cost/convivence, but I am also looking at applying to some other schools such as Columbia-TC.

However I've noticed that columbia's program isn't CACREP accredited while UNF is. How important is this accreditation and is it something that I should look for in other schools MHC programs?

I'm a veteran so using the GI Bill i basically have a free ride for grad school so I don't want to muck it up by choosing a bad program, assuming I get admitted to whatever school I end up deciding to go to of course. Right now I"m just spending countless hours researching schools trying to figure out which is right for me.

Also on that topic has anybody here gone to or heard about UF (university of Florida's) MHC program?

Thanks for any help!

It looks like the first person who responded to you gave some great feedback. As an adjunct professor who has been working with students in the masters in community counseling program since 2009, I want to add something.

If you intend to ever work with military personnel, veterans, or get fully licensed and decide you want to accept TRICARE (the insurance carried by active military, veterans, and their families) you need to attend a CACREP accredited school. In 2011 the department of defense put out a statement that starting January 1, 2015 they will nolonger accept counselors who have not graduated from a cacrep accredited program.

I also know this to be true because I see clients using TRICARE in my practice and I received this notification from TRICARE

It looks like the first person who responded to you gave some great feedback. As an adjunct professor who has been working with students in the masters in community counseling program since 2009, I want to add something.

If you intend to ever work with military personnel, veterans, or get fully licensed and decide you want to accept TRICARE (the insurance carried by active military, veterans, and their families) you need to attend a CACREP accredited school. In 2011 the department of defense put out a statement that starting January 1, 2015 they will nolonger accept counselors who have not graduated from a cacrep accredited program.

I also know this to be true because I see clients using TRICARE in my practice and I received this notification from TRICARE

See attached. Also see: http://ct.counseling.org/2012/02/dod-releases-tricare-rule-on-independent-practice-for-counselors/ for further description re: TRICARE and CACREP.

Attachments

• Tricare and CACREP.pdf
    157.4 KB · Views: 70