How important is "crafting a narrative"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol, chill. And yeah, but it was an example of a bad idea. Also, to be clear, still not a running theme.

If you want to be technical about it, motif is a narrative technique used to bring out a theme. So the motif of fire was used to demonstrate the theme of passion for science/medicine/service.

I agree, not the best example. But I think you're missing the point. She was giving an example of crafting an essay with a theme (using motif) rather than just using a strained metaphor (e.g., relating everything back to golf skills).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
What are people's thoughts about advice I received from someone on the adcom at a med school? It seems to contradict what other people have suggested on sdn.

He said that "Honestly, from an adcom perspective the PS isn't about covering every reason why you want to be a doctor. It's about crafting a compelling narrative that'll get you through to the interview stage. We spend like...10 minutes tops reading these things, so every word has to count. The rest of it can come from the experiences section and interview itself. That's why I personally advise premeds to pick one motivation (relationships, love of learning, problem solving, etc.) and do tie it into medicine really well"

Right now my ps talks about 1. interpersonal relationships/helping people, 2. science/learning, and 3. leadership because being a physician is one of the few professions that combines all of these 3 aspects. If I write my entire ps about my love of learning science in my personal statement and don't mention anything about helping people or developing relationships, that wouldn't seem like a strong ps right? In other words, there are plenty of careers that you can develop relationships or help people, and lots of careers where you can solve problems. However, medicine is the combination of all of these different things so I think it would be best to address all of these aspects of medicine.

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM @Med Ed thoughts?

I like that idea. Three aspects, one paragraph for each, an intro paragraph, a closing paragraph, done!

Ask 5 adcoms and you'll get six different opinions. You're fine

What are people's thoughts about advice I received from someone on the adcom at a med school? It seems to contradict what other people have suggested on sdn.

He said that "Honestly, from an adcom perspective the PS isn't about covering every reason why you want to be a doctor. It's about crafting a compelling narrative that'll get you through to the interview stage. We spend like...10 minutes tops reading these things, so every word has to count. The rest of it can come from the experiences section and interview itself. That's why I personally advise premeds to pick one motivation (relationships, love of learning, problem solving, etc.) and do tie it into medicine really well"

Right now my ps talks about 1. interpersonal relationships/helping people, 2. science/learning, and 3. leadership because being a physician is one of the few professions that combines all of these 3 aspects. If I write my entire ps about my love of learning science in my personal statement and don't mention anything about helping people or developing relationships, that wouldn't seem like a strong ps right? In other words, there are plenty of careers that you can develop relationships or help people, and lots of careers where you can solve problems. However, medicine is the combination of all of these different things so I think it would be best to address all of these aspects of medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like that idea. Three aspects, one paragraph for each, an intro paragraph, a closing paragraph, done!
Ask 5 adcoms and you'll get six different opinions. You're fine

Idk I think @Med Ed said it best when it's better to write personal statements that are straightforward, concise and to the point. Better to be in the 92% of essays that are okay than 7% of essays that are horrible (e.g. cringeworthy storytelling).

Reactions: 1 user
Idk I think @Med Ed said it best when it's better to write personal statements that are straightforward, concise and to the point. Better to be in the 92% of essays that are okay than 7% of essays that are horrible (e.g. cringeworthy storytelling).

Straightforward and concise doesn't mean you can't discuss more than one point.

This is almost exactly the structure I used for my PS, and I had a successful cycle. I think it's important to remember that your motivations for medicine are not going to be unique (helping people, loving science, leadership, etc.), but what all you've personally gained and can share from your experiences will be. Use clear examples to discuss these three points, and I think you'll be fine.

I have read ALL the stickies and old threads I could find with PS advice and also the book, "Essays that will get you into Medical School"
While helpful, sometimes all the advice can create pockets of self-doubt.

That is why this thread is very helpful, just to be able to run some ideas past some third parties, if you don't mind @Goro, @Med Ed, @gyngyn, @DokterMom :

Question 1: I really want to become an emergency physician, since I'm an emergency RN. I know that might change, but I am intensely interested and dedicated to EM. How does it seem when someone professes their love for a certain specialty in their essay?? Should I hold back?

Question 2: @LizzyM you indicated that a wrong way to write your PS would be to say that you are called by God. I get that overt religiosity can be a turnoff, but what about those who state that medicine is a calling? I mean, I'm wanting to write statements like that. But I don't want to seem overly passionate and make people roll their eyes. Part of my draft talks about finding my calling in the medical field. OK? Too much?

Question 3: For applicants who are career-changers. How much do you want to know about our past life and our conversion? My conversion is kind of messy--is that okay to kind of gloss it over (not embellish or lie, just omit hairy details). Do you have any specific advice for DO's and DON'T's for career-changer essays?

I really do appreciate this forum and your time and responses folks! :)

With the typical pre-med, they usually come across as starry-eyed, especially when you note they have no shadowing experience witht he specialty they're interested in. Your path is different, so it's OK, but always keep an open mind.

Question 1: I really want to become an emergency physician, since I'm an emergency RN. I know that might change, but I am intensely interested and dedicated to EM. How does it seem when someone professes their love for a certain specialty in their essay?? Should I hold back?

People can have a calling without having be religiously inspired.
Question 2: @LizzyM you indicated that a wrong way to write your PS would be to say that you are called by God. I get that overt religiosity can be a turnoff, but what about those who state that medicine is a calling? I mean, I'm wanting to write statements like that. But I don't want to seem overly passionate and make people roll their eyes. Part of my draft talks about finding my calling in the medical field. OK? Too much?

I like Med Ed's advice above.
Question 3: For applicants who are career-changers. How much do you want to know about our past life and our conversion? My conversion is kind of messy--is that okay to kind of gloss it over (not embellish or lie, just omit hairy details). Do you have any specific advice for DO's and DON'T's for career-changer essays?
\

Reactions: 1 users
"Question 1: I really want to become an emergency physician, since I'm an emergency RN. I know that might change, but I am intensely interested and dedicated to EM. How does it seem when someone professes their love for a certain specialty in their essay?? Should I hold back?"

In your case, it makes perfect sense. You know what you're getting into and have the experience to back it up. Sure, you could hedge a bit, but presumably, it's your experience as an EM nurse that has convinced you that you really want to be a physician. Your beliefs are grounded in valid reasons, not what you've seen on TV.

"Question 2: @LizzyM you indicated that a wrong way to write your PS would be to say that you are called by God. I get that overt religiosity can be a turnoff, but what about those who state that medicine is a calling? I mean, I'm wanting to write statements like that. But I don't want to seem overly passionate and make people roll their eyes. Part of my draft talks about finding my calling in the medical field. OK? Too much?"

You can find many ways to say this -- a career that fits your strengths and interests, one you find rewarding and fulfilling, something to the effect of how you love going to work each day, how you feel you are able to make a difference, and as a physician, could make an even greater difference -- Try explaining your feelings (verbally in person) to someone senior to you (so not a buddy or peer) in words that wouldn't make you cringe. Then say that.

"Question 3: For applicants who are career-changers. How much do you want to know about our past life and our conversion? My conversion is kind of messy--is that okay to kind of gloss it over (not embellish or lie, just omit hairy details). Do you have any specific advice for DO's and DON'T's for career-changer essays?"

IMO, that really depends. You can learn a lot from tough times and past mistakes. Some paint you as strong and resilient; but others may cause you to look foolish. If your past mistakes were of the foolish variety, make sure they are long past. If your past difficulties are not of your own making, be brief and factual and show how you overcame the obstacles. Also make sure that anything you include is something you can talk about without crumpling.

===========================================

Overall, the narrative you craft should be coherent and internally consistent. So if you are claiming your passion for medicine stemmed from your strong interest in science, you probably shouldn't be a business major. If it's because of your passion for serving others, you should have some serious service and altruism on your resume. If it's about helping the less fortunate, you should have done something by now to help the less fortunate. In other words, make sure you have some demonstrated actions to back up your stated reasons --

The other area where I think many go wrong is in fussing up their words to the point where they become 'cringe-worthy'. Those are the '7%' awful essays. If reading your essay to a friend makes you blush, you're at risk. Use plain words when they suffice. Don't go so far as to 'dumb it down', but don't use long words just for the sake of trying to sound smarter; it more often works the other way.

One other tidbit: If there's something unusual in your background that your reader might remember -- a 'sound bite' so to speak -- give them something to remember you by. So for @ED-RN2MD who posted above, it could be his/her time as an ED nurse. That way in the AdCom meeting where they are discussing your application, they can refer to you as something more interesting than "#23563"

Reactions: 2 users
You may be comparing yourself to others more than you should. You have a compelling story, we all do. It doesn't need to be some melodramatic soap opera but you have common themes that describe you and got you through life this far. Also, as hinted above, when you write it the first time, delete it and write it again. The way you say it may need tweaking but the themes you want to reflect should not. So think about the ad com reading it. When you sit in front of the interviewer, they want the person they expected to sit in from of them, dramatic or not lol. So is the narrative you write, actually you? Good luck this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user