What are people's thoughts about advice I received from someone on the adcom at a med school? It seems to contradict what other people have suggested on sdn.
He said that "Honestly, from an adcom perspective the PS isn't about covering every reason why you want to be a doctor. It's about crafting a compelling narrative that'll get you through to the interview stage. We spend like...10 minutes tops reading these things, so every word has to count. The rest of it can come from the experiences section and interview itself. That's why I personally advise premeds to pick one motivation (relationships, love of learning, problem solving, etc.) and do tie it into medicine really well"
Right now my ps talks about 1. interpersonal relationships/helping people, 2. science/learning, and 3. leadership because being a physician is one of the few professions that combines all of these 3 aspects. If I write my entire ps about my love of learning science in my personal statement and don't mention anything about helping people or developing relationships, that wouldn't seem like a strong ps right? In other words, there are plenty of careers that you can develop relationships or help people, and lots of careers where you can solve problems. However, medicine is the combination of all of these different things so I think it would be best to address all of these aspects of medicine.
@Goro
@gyngyn @LizzyM
@Med Ed thoughts?