How important is having non clinical work experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kimbee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore pre-med w/ excellent grades and I have been doing volunteering & school clubs since freshman year. My friend is the manager of a clothing store and he offered me a job because I used to model and "make the clothes look good" (lol). Anyway I would just do it part time for work experience more than the $$. I have no prior work experience so I thought it may look good and add diversity to my future med school applications. So do you think it's a good idea, and how important is it to have non med related work? Is scientific research more important? My brother got accepted to med schools w/ under my GPA and no research but he had tons of work experience.

Members don't see this ad.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not important. It will, however, help you as long as you have good grades and MCAT. If having a job causes your grades and MCAT score to falter, then that job will not make up for poor stats. The money you'd make now is pocket change compared to future earnings as a physician. It's also pocket change compared to the cost of an SMP program if you end up having to repair bad grades. You might be better off with research since a lot of schools are actually looking for that.

Overall though, your time might be better spent volunteering. Yeah, it sucks not to get paid, but look at it this way... You're paying for convenience. You can't beat volunteering just a few hours once per week, and having that count for medical school admissions. With volunteering, you can easily maintain high grades and MCAT score.

Personally, I delivered pizzas during college. I only did it once a week (sometimes twice max). It paid a decent amount, was a minimal commitment, and provided some unique stories to tell during interviews. People will suggest service jobs because they pay a decent amount over a minimal time commitment. I would recommend skipping work all together if possible, and just focusing on the most important things, which are your grades and MCAT. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
don't NEED it. only include it if it will not detract from your studies. if anything, i would try to get a job on campus as a tutor. typically short hours (at my school is was open from like 6-10 but you could come in later if had to), is leadership/teaching/tutor experience, and would just be easier IMO. learning by teaching.

Reactions: 1 users
In the grand scheme of things, it's not important. It will, however, help you as long as you have good grades and MCAT. If having a job causes your grades and MCAT score to falter, then that job will not make up for poor stats. The money you'd make now is pocket change compared to future earnings as a physician. It's also pocket change compared to the cost of an SMP program if you end up having to repair bad grades. You might be better off with research since a lot of schools are actually looking for that.

Overall though, your time might be better spent volunteering. Yeah, it sucks not to get paid, but look at it this way... You're paying for convenience. You can't beat volunteering just a few hours once per week, and having that count for medical school admissions. With volunteering, you can easily maintain high grades and MCAT score.

Personally, I delivered pizzas during college. I only did it once a week (sometimes twice max). It paid a decent amount, was a minimal commitment, and provided some unique stories to tell during interviews. People will suggest service jobs because they pay a decent amount over a minimal time commitment. I would recommend skipping work all together if possible, and just focusing on the most important things, which are your grades and MCAT. Good luck!

Thanks for the helpful reply :) I think I'm going to take the job on the weekends for now and quit if I find it lowers my grades. I really enjoy volunteering.
That unnecessary humble brag. Classic pre-allo.

I added it because I thought someone may ask why I'd get a job on the spot for no reason.

extra cash is always good. Extra work experiences never hurts for your app

It is a plus, but not essential.