How important is PAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pibozh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If somebody(like me) has done well in DAT (same average of the 2005 entering class) + Good GPA( same average of entering 2005 class), But with poor PAT score;15; Is that going to play a big factor in admission? Can you actually get rejection just because of poor performance in PAT section?

I am asking this because everyone told me that Dental Schools don't care that much about PAT score as long as you have good GPA and over all DAT score and a good application over all(good Recommendation letters,dental related expereiences and Etc...), but now that we are getting close to December, I am getting worry about that and if that's truth or not.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i think it depends on each individual school. it is especially tough now since every spot is competitive.

Yep, call up the school and ask them. I know UoP does look at it very heavily and others don't. Some will say don't have less than a 16 on anything, but again it's up to the school. Call up and ask an admissions councillor.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey pibozh, i also have the same stats... with a 15 on the PAT. I still managed to get two interviews. Still waiting for more. So don't worry! Good Luck! :)

mid9blu said:
hey pibozh, i also have the same stats... with a 15 on the PAT. I still managed to get two interviews. Still waiting for more. So don't worry! Good Luck! :)

i have similar stats (pat 15) and i still got interviews at all the schools i applied to...

don't know if it'll be a problem on dec 1...but hopefully not :)

Me too (low PAT score, but good GPA and DAT score).....if you guys are worried I am too.

Same here (low pat, good AA, and high GPA). I have two interviews so far. I am still worried, however, about my PAT

boilermaker05 said:
Me too (low PAT score, but good GPA and DAT score).....if you guys are worried I am too.

If you look at the DAT guide that schools are given, there is a section that correlates score performance on each section of the DAT and clinical performance in dental school. The PAT section scored a 60% correlation between high PAT and high clinical scores, while the AA and other science sections are down to 20ish %. So, schools will look at PAT as a predictor of clinical performance during dental school.

just as with everything, perceptual skills can be improved w/ practice. although the PAT might be indication, you can be a better clinician with more experience.

food4thots said:
just as with everything, perceptual skills can be improved w/ practice. although the PAT might be indication, you can be a better clinician with more experience.

I had a low PAT score and got into USC and Nova. I had an interview at Tufts but didn't go. I was rejected from the other CA schools and Arizona. It really depends on the school, but I know that UOP does weigh the PAT heavily.

MCG weighs PAT the heaviest out of all DAT sections. Their reasoning is that its harder to teach and improve perceptual ability than all the academic stuff. So there's one school's perspective, but they have traditionally had low PAT's for their classes so they're making it more of a focus now.

Yep, UOP doesn't really care about your GPA. They just like to see 20's in all section, particularly PAT and RC. I have a 3.78 sci GPA, and I have not heard from UOP (I think it is my PAT score) :( . If I have too though, I will retake the DAT to do better on the PAT section.

UoP told me that if your PAT is less than 17, don't even bother apply.

Thanks. I will cross out UOP from my list