Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How is it fair....
Started by PurpleLove
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
This is pathetic.
I had a 3.4X from an elite private school known for NOT inflating grades. Lizzy herself noted it in one of her lists of schools known to crush the dreams of the weak minded for fun. I was a bit worried. However, I did well on the MCAT, even by today's standards, though I didn't kill it. I was not worried any more. That's the equalizer.
I got several interviews and was accepted to a few, including my first choice (ranked in the 10-20 range) and they even gave me scholarship money, they gave me money even after I took a military scholarship. Little old me, Mr. 3.4 in a class of where the average was around 3.7. And I did well above average while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
Quit whining and start studying. The only thing holding you back is you.
I had a 3.4X from an elite private school known for NOT inflating grades. Lizzy herself noted it in one of her lists of schools known to crush the dreams of the weak minded for fun. I was a bit worried. However, I did well on the MCAT, even by today's standards, though I didn't kill it. I was not worried any more. That's the equalizer.
I got several interviews and was accepted to a few, including my first choice (ranked in the 10-20 range) and they even gave me scholarship money, they gave me money even after I took a military scholarship. Little old me, Mr. 3.4 in a class of where the average was around 3.7. And I did well above average while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
Quit whining and start studying. The only thing holding you back is you.
It helps if the exam asks you to regurgitate what you know. After that, it's a battle between the great minds and the weak minds.
My friend from China wouldn't even read the Bio book because the exams were so conceptual. He just paid attention in class and did great.
Me, I had to do all the readings, know the material backwards and forwards. Apply it in my head and still do worse than him.
what this means is that you don't understand the material as well as you think you do..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone please explain to me how this is fair:
I, and many premeds, find it difficult to get good grades in classes. Whatever, challenge accepted.
But what about schools that make it ridiculously easy to get As. Isn't this setting the person up for failure?
I think a lot of people feel like this and saw a lot of kids at my LAC spend hours studying and end up feeling like this. For a lot of them, they really thought they understood the material when they didn't. They had read through the book 8 times and memorized all the slides. But when you take tests they are completely application based and this method fails. Regardless of the result, you should be striving to fully UNDERSTAND and APPLY the material in your courses. If your exams are so tough, then try to come up with your own problems that incorporate multiple aspects from the course and solve those. This will help you tremendously when you begin preparing for the MCAT also.
Also, our problems vs the one liners from other school's gen chem problems: "What is the volume of the balloon if 8 moles of gas is added"? vs ours. Makes me cry. I need to stop thinking about this.
Is this at STP? At least be thorough when you are dissing other textbooks
I would rather eat a poop hot dog than have this thread be real.
As if textbooks are the problem. I can do everyone of those problems and still get a B+ on exams.Is this at STP? At least be thorough when you are dissing other textbooks
I would understand it perfectly fine at other universities.what this means is that you don't understand the material as well as you think you do..
This, is my problem. I could care less that I'm getting B+'s in prereq classes. I'll probably do better in more advanced ones.
My problem is the standard of learning is so different at other universities.
I do study. 8 hours+ a day. It's spring break, got me some slack. I'll start prelearning Monday.This is pathetic.
I had a 3.4X from an elite private school known for NOT inflating grades. Lizzy herself noted it in one of her lists of schools known to crush the dreams of the weak minded for fun. I was a bit worried. However, I did well on the MCAT, even by today's standards, though I didn't kill it. I was not worried any more. That's the equalizer.
I got several interviews and was accepted to a few, including my first choice (ranked in the 10-20 range) and they even gave me scholarship money, they gave me money even after I took a military scholarship. Little old me, Mr. 3.4 in a class of where the average was around 3.7. And I did well above average while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
Quit whining and start studying. The only thing holding you back is you.
Can we just get a ban and a lock and end this madness?
I'm honestly a bit surprised it hasn't been yet, to be honest.Can we just get a ban and a lock and end this madness?
I would understand it perfectly fine at other universities.
This, is my problem. I could care less that I'm getting B+'s in prereq classes. I'll probably do better in more advanced ones.
My problem is the standard of learning is so different at other universities.
my point is, at your school, if you truly understood the material as well as you said you did, more difficult questions or complicated problems would still be manageable.
It doesn't really matter if other schools have easier tests.
well it's still on topic, and as far as I know nothing is against TOS. Usually there is a warning against personal attacks but that's really the only thing I could think of..I'm honestly a bit surprised it hasn't been yet, to be honest.
Rightttt as if this whole thread isn't a personal attack against me.well it's still on topic, and as far as I know nothing is against TOS. Usually there is a warning against personal attacks but that's really the only thing I could think of..
Rightttt as if this whole thread isn't a personal attack against me.
ok if you feel that way, ask the mods to close it? i don't know, I'm not a mod
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To be honest, it looks like most of the people in this thread have been trying to help you, including myself, repeatedly. You don't seem to think that, which is fine. That said, you've openly attacked various other people, institutions, and frankly academia as a whole at this point. I'm not quite sure what else you expect.Rightttt as if this whole thread isn't a personal attack against me.
Well, I never asked how to study better or stated that I'm unhappy with my GPA that I earned here.To be honest, it looks like most of the people in this thread have been trying to help you, including myself, repeatedly. You don't seem to think that, which is fine. That said, you've openly attacked various other people, institutions, and frankly academia as a whole at this point. I'm not quite sure what else you expect.
The fact that you think studying is what separates me from the people who get As. No, they're smarter. There will always be 5 people in a class that can easily get 100's. Just like there are people who can't get B+s here.
Well, I never asked how to study better or stated that I'm unhappy with my GPA that I earned here.
The fact that you think studying is what separates me from the people who get As. No, they're smarter. There will always be 5 people in a class that can easily get 100's. Just like there are people who can't get B+s here.
If you're not unhappy with your GPA.. I don't understand what you're complaining about. You must be unhappy about your GPA if you think it will keep you out of med school compared to people with higher GPAs
4
487806
Rightttt as if this whole thread isn't a personal attack against me.
Lol of course
LOL, you're truly a *******. You seem like some thug who probably goes to a non-ranked horrible state school? Am I correct?

and our pal @terp720 is on a roll. You have way too much time on your hands lol

I never said I didn't say anything mean in return.Lol of course
and our pal @terp720 is on a roll. You have way too much time on your hands lol![]()
4
487806
I never said I didn't say anything mean in return.
Whatever makes you sleep better at night
I'm unhappy with the fact that I can't take easy classes elsewhere now and that I have to do a post-bacc later to improve my chances of getting in.If you're not unhappy with your GPA.. I don't understand what you're complaining about. You must be unhappy about your GPA if you think it will keep you out of med school compared to people with higher GPAs
By the way, seriously. All post-baccs hand out As for a pretty penny.
I'm proud of my GPA. I see really smart people that struggle to do average even though they'd dominate at many other schools.
and our pal @terp720 is on a roll. You have way too much time on your hands lol![]()
I am just chilling with my cat outside enjoying the weather and practicing spanish on my ipad so posting in between lessons hahaAre you using an app? I've never really thought of using a tablet to learn a second language, but I'm curious as to how it can help.I am just chilling with my cat outside enjoying the weather and practicing spanish on my ipad so posting in between lessons haha
Dear SDN,
Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't argue with a fool, because he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"? Well, here's an excellent example of that. This stupid thread has been on the top of the front page of pre-allo for days and it has produced nothing useful for anyone. If it hasn't been evident since the first thread, Purplelove is not here for advice. She is here to complain, and will not be happy unless you agree that she is a brilliant, special little snowflake who is suffering the great injustice of not being reminded how smart she in her academic career.
Well Purplelove, you are very smart. Very, very smart, and everyone is a hater. You don't need to acknowledge your insecurities, or to embrace the possibility that you might actually not be smart as you desperately want to prove. You don't need to understand that you have been given all kind of opportunities in life that thousands of other premeds will never have, such as the ability to attend a top-notch university. Don't believe for a second that there is more to education or medical career than getting a high GPA and going to a flashy medical school, because that's certainly a lie. Don't accept that there is nothing wrong with your work ethic or attitude, because everyone who is in the top of your class are people who were born there and didn't work harder than you. And one more thing: never, ever stop believing you are better than others in less prestigious places, because those people are barely human and deserve nothing but contempt. You on the other hand, are very special and deserve all the good things in life, even if you have no way of proving you do.
And to others in SDN, your efforts are admirable, but surely you have to realize when your advice is being blown to the wind. I'm not a religious man, but there was this dude in Israel who walked on water and stuff, and said "Don't cast your pearls to the swine because they will be trampled on." Some people don't want to improve themselves, so your efforts are better spent elsewhere.
Sincerely,
A dumb guy who has dealt with dumb people
Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't argue with a fool, because he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"? Well, here's an excellent example of that. This stupid thread has been on the top of the front page of pre-allo for days and it has produced nothing useful for anyone. If it hasn't been evident since the first thread, Purplelove is not here for advice. She is here to complain, and will not be happy unless you agree that she is a brilliant, special little snowflake who is suffering the great injustice of not being reminded how smart she in her academic career.
Well Purplelove, you are very smart. Very, very smart, and everyone is a hater. You don't need to acknowledge your insecurities, or to embrace the possibility that you might actually not be smart as you desperately want to prove. You don't need to understand that you have been given all kind of opportunities in life that thousands of other premeds will never have, such as the ability to attend a top-notch university. Don't believe for a second that there is more to education or medical career than getting a high GPA and going to a flashy medical school, because that's certainly a lie. Don't accept that there is nothing wrong with your work ethic or attitude, because everyone who is in the top of your class are people who were born there and didn't work harder than you. And one more thing: never, ever stop believing you are better than others in less prestigious places, because those people are barely human and deserve nothing but contempt. You on the other hand, are very special and deserve all the good things in life, even if you have no way of proving you do.
And to others in SDN, your efforts are admirable, but surely you have to realize when your advice is being blown to the wind. I'm not a religious man, but there was this dude in Israel who walked on water and stuff, and said "Don't cast your pearls to the swine because they will be trampled on." Some people don't want to improve themselves, so your efforts are better spent elsewhere.
Sincerely,
A dumb guy who has dealt with dumb people
Or for the biblically inclined:Dear SDN,
Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't argue with a fool, because he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"?
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. —Proverbs 26:4
4
487806
Dear SDN,
Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't argue with a fool, because he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"? Well, here's an excellent example of that. This stupid thread has been on the top of the front page of pre-allo for days and it has produced nothing useful for anyone. If it hasn't been evident since the first thread, Purplelove is not here for advice. She is here to complain, and will not be happy unless you agree that she is a brilliant, special little snowflake who is suffering the great injustice of not being reminded how smart she in her academic career.
Well Purplelove, you are very smart. Very, very smart, and everyone is a hater. You don't need to acknowledge your insecurities, or to embrace the possibility that you might actually not be smart as you desperately want to prove. You don't need to understand that you have been given all kind of opportunities in life that thousands of other premeds will never have, such as the ability to attend a top-notch university. Don't believe for a second that there is more to education or medical career than getting a high GPA and going to a flashy medical school, because that's certainly a lie. Don't accept that there is nothing wrong with your work ethic or attitude, because everyone who is in the top of your class are people who were born there and didn't work harder than you. And one more thing: never, ever stop believing you are better than others in less prestigious places, because those people are barely human and deserve nothing but contempt. You on the other hand, are very special and deserve all the good things in life, even if you have no way of proving you do.
And to others in SDN, your efforts are admirable, but surely you have to realize when your advice is being blown to the wind. I'm not a religious man, but there was this dude in Israel who walked on water and stuff, and said "Don't cast your pearls to the swine because they will be trampled on." Some people don't want to improve themselves, so your efforts are better spent elsewhere.
Sincerely,
A dumb guy who has dealt with dumb people
Well said, but hey, the thread is still active and derailed well beyond its original purpose. So, some people here think "Why not make it into a social thread disguised to be on topic so that everyone can be happy?" Working well so far
This 100%Well said, but hey, the thread is still active and derailed well beyond its original purpose. So, some people here think "Why not make it into a social thread disguised to be on topic so that everyone can be happy?" Working well so far
Dear SDN,
Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't argue with a fool, because he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience"? Well, here's an excellent example of that. This stupid thread has been on the top of the front page of pre-allo for days and it has produced nothing useful for anyone. If it hasn't been evident since the first thread, Purplelove is not here for advice. She is here to complain, and will not be happy unless you agree that she is a brilliant, special little snowflake who is suffering the great injustice of not being reminded how smart she in her academic career.
Well Purplelove, you are very smart. Very, very smart, and everyone is a hater. You don't need to acknowledge your insecurities, or to embrace the possibility that you might actually not be smart as you desperately want to prove. You don't need to understand that you have been given all kind of opportunities in life that thousands of other premeds will never have, such as the ability to attend a top-notch university. Don't believe for a second that there is more to education or medical career than getting a high GPA and going to a flashy medical school, because that's certainly a lie. Don't accept that there is nothing wrong with your work ethic or attitude, because everyone who is in the top of your class are people who were born there and didn't work harder than you. And one more thing: never, ever stop believing you are better than others in less prestigious places, because those people are barely human and deserve nothing but contempt. You on the other hand, are very special and deserve all the good things in life, even if you have no way of proving you do.
And to others in SDN, your efforts are admirable, but surely you have to realize when your advice is being blown to the wind. I'm not a religious man, but there was this dude in Israel who walked on water and stuff, and said "Don't cast your pearls to the swine because they will be trampled on." Some people don't want to improve themselves, so your efforts are better spent elsewhere.
Sincerely,
A dumb guy who has dealt with dumb people
that's all your doing man...This "horse" has been dead so long its a skeleton Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There will always be smarter people. I'm doing it all. I am staying, I just want to supplement my classes here with other university ones.OP, I believe you should just stick it out at your prestigious school. You're obviously EXTREMELY close to getting A's on all your exams. Is there anything you can think of that you're not doing enough of? How long do you study before exams?
If you're studying 8 hours a day for college classes, you're not as bright as you think you are.I do study. 8 hours+ a day. It's spring break, got me some slack. I'll start prelearning Monday.
There will always be smarter people. I'm doing it all. I am staying, I just want to supplement my classes here with other university ones.
Would be a shame if you let an opportunity at a great school slip from your grasp, sounds like your making the best decision
4 hours of classes a day = 8 hours of studying. Actually, no I've always heard one hour of class = 2 hours of studying.If you're studying 8 hours a day for college classes, you're not as bright as you think you are.
cut**********
At the end of the day once your in medical school no one will care about your undergrad, once in residency no one will really care about your medical school, eventually the only thing that matters is how good you are at what you do. (Unless you wanna do research/academic medicine then ignore everything I just said)
Is this a code or is English a second language?4 hours of classes a day = 8 hours of studying. Actually, no I've always heard one hour of class = 2 hours of studying.
cut**********
What are you referring to. It is, but I'm confused.Is this a code or is English a second language?
Is this a code or is English a second language?
Apparently.What are you referring to. It is, but I'm confused.
4 hours of classes = 8 hours of studying.Apparently.
The general rule is 1 hour of class = 2 hours of studying.
Better?
4
487806
If you're studying 8 hours a day for college classes, you're not as bright as you think you are.
Yeah I never understood that as well.
cut**********
Curious what this is supposed to mean
😆😆😆









By the way, seriously. All post-baccs hand out As for a pretty penny.
I'm
OOOO I offended someone, sorry it's true.
Means I corrected my error in his quoted reply.Yeah I never understood that as well.
Curious what this is supposed to mean
Means I corrected my error in his quoted reply.
You have to have one of the most fitting profile pictures I've ever seen on this site.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
She doesn't even go here.You have to have one of the most fitting profile pictures I've ever seen on this site.
Thanks, I tried.You have to have one of the most fitting profile pictures I've ever seen on this site.
OOOO I offended someone, sorry it's true.
no its funny because you obviously have no clue what you're talking about at all.
I was a career changer and did a post bac.....many of my friends failed out. Its not easy and no not everyone gets As. As I took more advanced biology and chemistry classes, it was very cut throat to get that A. I worked my tail off to get As.
If this is your line of thinking when you enter a post bac, you're in for a very rude awakening. I suspect that you'll be end for another one when you take your MCAT....or heck even when you start studying for it.
At least it's coherent. And I stand by what I said. Very very few college classes demand that level of commitment.4 hours of classes = 8 hours of studying.
The general rule is 1 hour of class = 2 hours of studying.
Better?
Haha, sure it is. You must have just not had hard classes to begin with.no its funny because you obviously have no clue what you're talking about at all.
I was a career changer and did a post bac.....many of my friends failed out. Its not easy and no not everyone gets As. As I took more advanced biology and chemistry classes, it was very cut throat to get that A. I worked my tail off to get As.
If this is your line of thinking when you enter a post bac, you're in for a very rude awakening. I suspect that you'll be end for another one when you take your MCAT....or heck even when you start studying for it.
I've seen postbaccs studying their material next to me in the library. Didn't seem too hard.
Many people fail out off community college too, doesn't mean the classes are hard.
Few fail classes here, yet it's hard as hell.
Try again.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 397