How is overall GPA calculated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carina12hernandez

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My path toward optometry is a bit different. I have a degree from a liberal arts college and graduated with a 3.4. I then decided to pursue a career in optometry and I'm presently taking courses at a university just for pre-reqs. It's not through a post-bacc program and I won't be receiving a second degree.

My question is, how will my GPA be calculated? Will they combine my GPA from my degree with the overall GPA I end up with at my present university? Or will they not even consider my GPA from my bachelors since it does not pertain to the math and science I had to take after I received the degree?

Any insight is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

They combine it and also sort it out into different categories like Science GPA, Pre-req GPA, Non-science GPA (your liberal arts classes), and then overall GPA.
So don't worry, everything you did in college will count! You will want to make sure that while you are taking your science pre-reqs to focus on high grades because it looks great to have a high science and pre-req GPA. Your pre-reqs will also help you study for your OAT which is also looked at very heavily.

Overall each school will look at everything a little differently. But for the most part if you do well on your pre-reqs then you will be in a great spot academically

Also good to remember that if you decide to retake any classes, OptomCas will only count the latest/highest grade on your GPA average as long as it's taken at the same school. If you repeat the class at a different school, then they will average the 2 grades together and won't replace the old grade. Grade replacement is the better option and will result in the higher GPA on your OptomCas.