How late can you apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robotjim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am planning on applying this cycle and I have not yet taken the mcat...I was planning on taking it in January cause I wanted to make sure that I had a lot of time to study. However, I am worried that this will be too late for the application cycle and as a result I will be put at a disadvantage. What do you guys/gals think? Should I sigin up for an earlier date and see how well I can do? Any information will help. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I totally passed the super appropriate sticky that would have been a much better home for this question...haha my bad... but feel free to answer if you want... :)

Why the hell would you wait until ****ing january to take the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
geepers!!! sorry for asking..
I don't know..Im taking o-chem 2 and phys 2 this coming fall. I keep hearing that there is minimal o-chem on the mcat and that I should be fine knowing what i know from first semester as well as studying from ek and kaplan. I just really want to do well because my gpa isn't so hot (3.1 overall 2.8 sci)

Probably a good idea to take it while that stuff is still fresh in your mind, so January is a good time.

If I were you, I'd probably wait a year and try to bring that GPA up. Are you a regular undergrad (as opposed to non-trad)? How much more undergrad do you have left? Re-take a science class or two that you did poorly in.

Probably a good idea to take it while that stuff is still fresh in your mind, so January is a good time.

If I were you, I'd probably wait a year and try to bring that GPA up. Are you a regular undergrad (as opposed to non-trad)? How much more undergrad do you have left? Re-take a science class or two that you did poorly in.

I agree. Sounds like you're trying to force the natural progression of things in order to apply this year, when you are really just early for next year. January seems like a good time to take the MCAT, then worry about bringing the GPA up and getting good letters of rec. With a high MCAT and improved GPA, you'll apply really early next year and be golden!

Good luck!

I agree. Sounds like you're trying to force the natural progression of things in order to apply this year, when you are really just early for next year. January seems like a good time to take the MCAT, then worry about bringing the GPA up and getting good letters of rec. With a high MCAT and improved GPA, you'll apply really early next year and be golden!

Good luck!

:thumbup: Take this advice, it will drastically improve your chances as well as save you a decent chunk of change. Take the extra time to volunteer or shadow a D.O. Do you have your extracurriculars and LORs in order?

I have 2 semesters of undergrad left(fall 08 and sp 09)...I'm not sure if I am considered a non-trad or not but I am a little bit older than the avg entering med student(I'm 24).

:thumbup: Take this advice, it will drastically improve your chances as well as save you a decent chunk of change. Take the extra time to volunteer or shadow a D.O. Do you have your extracurriculars and LORs in order?

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, this is good advice. I just want to become a physician so bad and I know it's a marathon not a sprint I just feel like I'm starting to get too old...I'm 24 now and putting off applying till 25 seems scary because that would make me 26 by the time of matriculation and 30 by the beginning of residency. However, I know many have accomplished this same feat and some have started med school at an older age. I guess whats one more year in the grand scheme of things--right? It would definitely be nice to re-take some of my science classes and have a more sound application. Thank you guys for setting me straight.

Anway, back to your question about my ec's and lor's.... I have ok lor's(1 pre-med advisor, 1 physician--however, not a D.O and 1 from my employer).. ec's include pre-med club, chemistry club, soccer team.

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, this is good advice. I just want to become a physician so bad and I know it's a marathon not a sprint I just feel like I'm starting to get too old...I'm 24 now and putting off applying till 25 seems scary because that would make me 26 by the time of matriculation and 30 by the beginning of residency. However, I know many have accomplished this same feat and some have started med school at an older age. I guess whats one more year in the grand scheme of things--right? It would definitely be nice to re-take some of my science classes and have a more sound application. Thank you guys for setting me straight.

Anway, back to your question about my ec's and lor's.... I have ok lor's(1 pre-med advisor, 1 physician--however, not a D.O and 1 from my employer).. ec's include pre-med club, chemistry club, soccer team.

I feel you with the age thing, bill and loans and everything else piling up it's easy to try and rush everything in, but I think you get the idea of what most people will advise here given your statistics. Most D.O. schools favor more well rounded applicants and one's who they believe have more life experience (read older) anyway, so it could be looked at as an advantage.

The letters are satisfactory, I would consider looking into a D.O. letter as well if that is the type of school you are shooting for. Whether they say it or not (and many do) a D.O. LOR is highly recommended. More than that, I would work on your extracurriculars if possible. School's love to see volunteer work and efforts to benefit the disadvantaged, its a pillar in the D.O. philosophy. Shadowing physicians is also a good idea to show the admissions offices you have better grasp on what it means to be a physician, plus it hooks you up with that D.O. letter.

TT mentioned something about the advantages of volunteering at a hospital in another thread as well which I'm sure he'll reiterate to you. All good ideas, all easy ways to improve your application in addition to grades/MCATs. Don't get discouraged about waiting another year persistence pays off.