How long should i shadow?

aspiringDPT231

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a chance to shadow my current physical therapist right now and they said it would be great if I could shadow there. I know I am and want to do some hours next week during my spring break but my question is how long should I shadow these guys? one is a DPT and the other is a PTA so I can shadow both. My DPT said he shadowed for 300 hours so should I shadow at this place for like 100 hours or more before I go to a different place?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi doctor bob,

So you're saying that you like to see long term shadowing spaced out over a number of weeks than a whole bunch of it together?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi doctor bob,

So you're saying that you like to see long term shadowing spaced out over a number of weeks than a whole bunch of it together?

Thanks

That same idea can be applied to volunteering as well, adcoms like to see that you volunteered in a hospital for 3 years, 2 hours every other week as opposed to one month of 10hrs a week. Duration shows commitment and altruism, two things adcoms are looking for in an applicant.

That same idea can be applied to volunteering as well, adcoms like to see that you volunteered in a hospital for 3 years, 2 hours every other week as opposed to one month of 10hrs a week. Duration shows commitment and altruism, two things adcoms are looking for in an applicant.

Thanks for the help! Would it be ok to volunteer at a nursing home? Is that looked at differently than hospital work?

Thanks for the help! Would it be ok to volunteer at a nursing home? Is that looked at differently than hospital work?

You should volunteer anywhere you like, for causes that you're passionate about. It's good to have volunteer work mixed in though that gives you exposure to patients and/or a hospital setting. Volunteering in a hospital or nursing home are both good ways to get some clinical experience.

A big thing that I've learned here on SDN though is that your pre-med EC's shouldn't be done just to check boxes on an app. You should be able to take away things from the experiences you get by shadowing/volunteering/tutoring/working a healthcare related job and show how those experiences made you want to pursue medicine and/or are going to make you a better doctor.