How long should you stay at your first job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rltruong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New grad. So here is my story. I dont dislike where i work but a lot of things were promised and while i was PRN transitioning over to full time those things changed. My hours were suppose to be M-TH 8-6 and a half day on friday. and without even discussing it with me they changed it to 830-suppose to be 6 but they schedule a 515 patient so really 615-630 and an 1.5 hr lunch(which only benefits the owner) M-F. No compensation for any overtime. I really wanted that half day to run errands that i cant do on weekends ie doctors visits, maybe HH PRN, etc. Ive brought this to owners attention and he said he would be open to changing it back but nothing has happened. that was now 6-7 weeks ago. Would it look bad quitting only 5-6 months into my first job to start looking for a travel position?

Members don't see this ad.

Would it look bad quitting only 5-6 months into my first job to start looking for a travel position?
No. Vote with your feet.
If the local market does not have an ample supply of PTs, the owner may make a counteroffer to get you to stay. So be prepared for that eventuality. I would still leave.

Reactions: 1 user
Run away and don’t look back.

Members don't see this ad :)
New grad. So here is my story. I dont dislike where i work but a lot of things were promised and while i was PRN transitioning over to full time those things changed. My hours were suppose to be M-TH 8-6 and a half day on friday. and without even discussing it with me they changed it to 830-suppose to be 6 but they schedule a 515 patient so really 615-630 and an 1.5 hr lunch(which only benefits the owner) M-F. No compensation for any overtime. I really wanted that half day to run errands that i cant do on weekends ie doctors visits, maybe HH PRN, etc. Ive brought this to owners attention and he said he would be open to changing it back but nothing has happened. that was now 6-7 weeks ago. Would it look bad quitting only 5-6 months into my first job to start looking for a travel position?
Are you an hourly or salaried employee? If salaried, you shouldn't expect any additional $$ for overtime.

It looks as thought the owner wants you to be able to see a patient after 5:00PM, hence the longer lunch hour. Have you suggested staggering your work hours so you have some days where you can see a patient prior to the typical 8-5:00 on some days and after the typical work day on some days?

Also, if the owner said they would be open to changing it back, he didn't really say that he would. I would discuss it with him again. If you like where you work and have a good relationship with the other staff members there, I'd try to make something work before I ran to another employer - "the grass is always greener" and all that...

I was told to stick with a job at least a year. Obviously if there's fraud or other serious issues going on then i think anyone is justified in leaving sooner than that. Every situation is unique. Ultimately, you should be the one in the driver's seat of where you work. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. But sometimes it is ;)