How long to wait before updating schools and what to include?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a_distant_dream

Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please do not quote this message.

I substantially contributed to a manuscript that was just accepted by a fairly well-known journal. I have questions about updating schools:
  • Should I wait until my semester grades are also released? I expect a 4.0. This is expected to occur January 1.
  • Should I wait until the publication appears online with a DOI? This is expected to occur early February.
  • Aside from the publication and expressing corresponding interest in each school, what other details should I include in the update? I submitted a new manuscript and have a few tidbits like posters / presentations / continuing my projected hours. My fear is that adding too much will dilute the update / risk it not getting read.
Thank you in advance for your feedback! Happy holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Who is getting these updates?

1) yes to schools who have not sent you II's. Ok for schools that have interviewed you or have waitlisted you post interview.

2) yes if the school has a strong research component (after you get the DOI)

3) yes, IMO, keep it simple and don't add the extra information about posters and conferences.

Reactions: 1 users