How "Mandatory" are otoscopes/opthalmoscopes for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chlorophyll Oracle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school sent an email telling us that we need to have one purchased by a certain date and gave specifications as to what to buy. The one they specified was 500 dollars. I'm okay with buying this as long as I'll use it. I don't want to blow 500 dollars on a fancy tool that I will get no use out of. I'd like to wait to see if I'll need it but i'm a bit worried about pissing them off by not having one by their specified date. Do you all have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Not worth it. My clinics have them in each room. I have found myself wanting one on occasion in hospital rooms, but no one else has one either including the interns and residents.

If I am concerned about someone's vision I am testing for common stuff and then calling optho if I need it.
If I am worried about ICP , my patients end up getting imaging.
If you want to make sure you don't piss your school off you can buy one of those cheap ones sub100.

Reactions: 1 user
If it’s absolutely required, buy a used one. It’s completely unnecessary and stupid to buy these things though when they are in every exam room.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t have one in med school and never needed it - but I think my school only recommended we own one, rather than requiring it.

Ive never once needed my own for either one of these

I will sell you mine for 250 lol Never used it. Hardly know how to use it TBH

Reactions: 3 users
Absolutely worthless. Borrow them as needed and always say “Dang! I forgot mine again!”

Reactions: 1 users
My school bought us all a pretty nice set. 2 years later and they're still gathering dust.

Thought it was useless for a few years, then went into a specialty that actually uses an opthalmoscope (besides optho). Even considering that, I used it sparingly during medical school and would either buy a used one or share it among your classmates

You use them a handful of times in your pre-clinical classes, make sure if you're going to use an opthalmoscope on a hot classmate take a breath mint otherwise defeats the whole purpose.

Almost all clinics, er, etc will have them in their exam rooms plus a few spares. Ironically, hospital floors never seem to have them. I usually have to send the nurse on a merry chase through several floors to find one.

Reactions: 1 user
Is your school getting a kickback? Borrow one from a senior if they can still find theirs.

Hospital rooms dont have them, so if you are doing H&Ps and dont have one, you wont be able to perform a complete exam. I used mine more after I had children to see if they really needed to see pediatrician. By observing more normals, pathology will be more easily recognized.

It was mandatory to have your own first and second year at my school, but I have very rarely used either since. If I had it to do over again I would have spent far less money on them.

Never bought either. Used the ones available in our hospital and clinic rooms. Borrowed other students' when we needed them for practicing the physical exam or mock CS cases. Worked out fiiiiiine

never bought one

never had any issues.

Most of are already in enough debt, don't waste more money.