How many classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandy4321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many classes do medical students take on average per year?

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn't you know this already? I thought you were a first year med student? At least you were back in December. :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
The actual number of classes is going to depend on the school. Are they systems based? Do they integrate clerkships during the first year? Do they have some kind of leadership and/or patient interaction coursework that underlies the sciency stuff? Are they 18 month or 2 year pre-clinical? Are they osteopathic (OMM classes added in)? And so on.

I have no experience with going through medical school, however I have heard that course-load wise it is about the equivalent of 20-25 credits of upper division science courses per semester pre-clinical. The content should ideally be the same across schools, with some differences about the availability of specialized electives/support for students.

If there are any medical students that can chime in on if this statement is reflective of reality, that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
The actual number of classes is going to depend on the school. Are they systems based? Do they integrate clerkships during the first year? Do they have some kind of leadership and/or patient interaction coursework that underlies the sciency stuff? Are they 18 month or 2 year pre-clinical? Are they osteopathic (OMM classes added in)? And so on.

I have no experience with going through medical school, however I have heard that course-load wise it is about the equivalent of 20-25 credits of upper division science courses per semester pre-clinical. The content should ideally be the same across schools, with some differences about the availability of specialized electives/support for students.

Thanks for your response!