How many correct answers = 99 % on chem section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmstud07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:idea:

I've always wondered how many questions I must answer correctly in order to get a 99 on the chem section, or on any sub section for that matter.

Thanks guys...

Members don't see this ad.

It's graded based upon a curve, so it's hard to tell. I'm sure that you'll score in the 99% if you get at least 99% of the questions right. That's about as good as an answer you'll get from anyone since pretty much no one has any idea about the PCAT scoring process or curve protocol.

I've always wondered how many questions I must answer correctly in order to get a 99 on the chem section, or on any sub section for that matter.

Thanks guys...

the test scores are scaled for each test date. the only way to guarantee yourself the highest possible percentile is to get all of them correct.

don't waste your time, you don't need a 99% to succeed.

I highly doubt that you need to answer 99% of the questions correctly in order to get a 99 composit. I'm thinking between 85 to 95 % of the questions would = 99 % composite.

For example I think that out of the 58 biology questions.... answering 50 of them correctly would get a 99 % ...

How does everyone else feel?

Someone last june was going to put all the scaled scores and all the percentile scores in a spreadsheet to try and figure out the correlation between the two... but not enough people were sharing their stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need 450 out of 600 to get a 99%tile. Yup...just 450...pretty low huh?? Here is the thing about the PCAT. Let's say you score 550 on the Chemistry section (still 99%tile), and 350 on the verbal (which is less than 50%tile), but when you add them up and divide by 2, it's still 450 and that is still 99%tile. That is the reason why some people can do really bad on the verbal and reading sections and still can get a composite of a 99%tile. I don't think the test is based on how well other people who take the test at same time time as you do score. It is already preset using scores from 1999-2001 (I might get the year wrong) and they came up with the percentile.

400 for 50%tile and 450 for 99%tile. Why don't you look at other people's scores that have been posted in here and see.

Dude, I flat out guessed on 1 question in the chem part. I just bubbled in the circle while we were on the Bio part with the classic answer choice C.

I scored 98%tile so that means I must have missed a heck of a lot more than 1.

So in other words, you cheated.

Great.

Of course if you had bubbled in the correct answer, you could of not missed a single one.

Dude, I flat out guessed on 1 question in the chem part. I just bubbled in the circle while we were on the Bio part with the classic answer choice C.

I scored 98%tile so that means I must have missed a heck of a lot more than 1.

Thanks guys...

Given that I got a 96 after bubbling in over five answers randomly, I guess you can miss more than 1% of the questions and still get a 99:D

Remember, all hail to the CURVE!:clap:

Ok so when you're applying do the schools even look at your actual score or just your precentile