how many hours do podiatry students study in a day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FRA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious..do u get to hang out with friends, go to the gym?? How hard is podiatry school compared to undergraduate?

Members don't see this ad.

It's all about time management. You can do all the things you want to do, if you plan it right. I go to the gym about 4 times a week. Still have time to hang out with friends too.

Just curious..do u get to hang out with friends, go to the gym?? How hard is podiatry school compared to undergraduate?

I, like many people, took some pretty tough upper division science courses in undergrad so I went into pod school with the attitude that it couldn't really be that much more difficult. I was wrong. In retrospect, I don't think the material is that much more difficult. It's not the material as much as it's the volume. At least where I went (DMU), classes moved fast. I'm sure you've heard the comparison of: "It's like trying to take a drink from a fire hose".

Having said that, it is totally doable. You just have to put your time in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree. The material itself is not that too bad but the time you have put in and the stress you go through every week is a lot. In NYCPM, we have two exams every week in our first sem. So basically, you have to study on the weekends also. Weekdays are relatively less stressful IMO.

I've seen people who dont study, get good grades and are basically podiatrically ******ed and can't pass the boards.

To each their own.

"Podiatrically ******ed" :idea:

Relates to

individuals who have good podiatry school grades...

BUT require multiple attempts and additional loan money to pass the Podiatry boards.

:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish someone would have told me this before I started, but you will study more than you ever thought possible. If I am not sleeping I am studying. I'm on hour 13 today. It never ends! I'm not saying it to scare you, but to be honest because no one prepared me. You have to keep up because it will hit you so fast that you can't catch up no matter how hard you try. Once again that point wasn't stressed enough to me. I know everyone tells you to keep up, but keeping up means learning the material the first time, not just reading it.

OK enough of my rant. If you have any questions PM me.

How are holidays or winter/spring breaks? Do podiatry students have time to travel back home and spend time with family and friends, or do you constantly study during these holidays?

I think most DPM, MD/DO, OD, DDS/DMD, DVM, and PharmD students are working pretty hard across the board, esp in this first year.

my undergrad roomate is at my home states MD program and he takes:
intro to clinical med
human structure (combined microscopic and gross)
human function
the disease process and society
pharm

I take:
Human anatomy
introduction to med
Pod Med I
Histology
Biochemistry

My best friend is at a private dental school, and hes on this crazy one class for 2 weeks, one class for 6 weeks etc.... that is too confusing to explain, but actually seems harder than the MD and DPM first semesters now that i think of it. poor guy.

But at any rate, I'm Wilford Brimely...study. study hard. theres no reason not to.

How are holidays or winter/spring breaks? Do podiatry students have time to travel back home and spend time with family and friends, or do you constantly study during these holidays?

At OCPM, theres quite a few people who have gone home thur after class and come back sunday night, mainly the week after exams. We get a 3.5 or 4 week winter break i cant remember. im assuming everyone is going home, we are on semesters and have new classes beginning in january-- and a sweet, sweet loan refund check coming in january. im so sick of ramen.. someone please mail me a porterhouse.

I wish someone would have told me this before I started, but you will study more than you ever thought possible. If I am not sleeping I am studying. I'm on hour 13 today. It never ends! I'm not saying it to scare you, but to be honest because no one prepared me. You have to keep up because it will hit you so fast that you can't catch up no matter how hard you try. Once again that point wasn't stressed enough to me. I know everyone tells you to keep up, but keeping up means learning the material the first time, not just reading it.

OK enough of my rant. If you have any questions PM me.

are you at OCPM? we are all studying like crazy over here....finals in about a week... tho i assume a lot of the schools are getting near finals time

wow..i can never learn any material the first day. It takes me a while to memorize it. I have to go over the material like about 3 times to know it on the exam..I'm a little scared now..lol

Members don't see this ad :)
wow..i can never learn any material the first day. It takes me a while to memorize it. I have to go over the material like about 3 times to know it on the exam..I'm a little scared now..lol

I usually go over lectures at least 3 times, but you run out of time in the day somtimes. You just do what you can get done and wing it a few times.

Undergrad is the Disney Channel. Pod school is HBO. Maybe Cinemax. :) The amount of information you're required to stuff your brain with is tremendous. An undergrad was studying next to me the other day. Anatomy. Her picture book had 1 pair of blood vessels per diagram. Mine looked like someone barfed red and blue colored pencil all over the page. I put in 5-6 hours daily to stay on top of the info. But it gives me some free time sometimes because I try to not get behind.

First years at Temple have studying over Xmas. We have a physiology final when we get back and we have Lower that we need to know. :(

Undergrad is the Disney Channel. Pod school is HBO. Maybe Cinemax. :) The amount of information you're required to stuff your brain with is tremendous. An undergrad was studying next to me the other day. Anatomy. Her picture book had 1 pair of blood vessels per diagram. Mine looked like someone barfed red and blue colored pencil all over the page. I put in 5-6 hours daily to stay on top of the info. But it gives me some free time sometimes because I try to not get behind.

First years at Temple have studying over Xmas. We have a physiology final when we get back and we have Lower that we need to know. :(

haha thats funny stuff

I am getting good grades so far.... knock on orthotic

I study 3 hours a day (honestly maybe 2, after facebook and youtube)

then 6 on sat and no sundays.

we have tests every monday AM, and this works great for me.

Repetition is the key
Repetition is the key
Repetition is the key
Repetition is the key
Did I say Repetition is the key?\

It really is. Skim lecture before, go to lecture, THAT NIGHT, read it slowly, and if you aren't 100%, read it again later that week.

Oh wait, I will be competing with you all for residencies. HMMM

Yeah, forget what I told you above, studying is sooo over rated. Pod school is way easier than undergrad. Its like middle school. Same material. Don't study. Do the bare minimum.;)

then 6 on sat and no sundays.

we have tests every monday AM, and this works great for me.

Repetition is the key
Repetition is the key
Repetition is the key
Repetition is the key
Did I say Repetition is the key?\

It really is. Skim lecture before, go to lecture, THAT NIGHT, read it slowly, and if you aren't 100%, read it again later that week.

Oh wait, I will be competing with you all for residencies. HMMM

Yeah, forget what I told you above, studying is sooo over rated. Pod school is way easier than undergrad. Its like middle school. Same material. Don't study. Do the bare minimum.;)
\

Do the profs give you the term's notes/powerpoints at the beginning of the semester? Are students using these to study or does everyone use the textbooks as well? Just curious how it works at CSPM. I know they don't have recorded lectures which seems like a bummer. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

\

Do the profs give you the term's notes/powerpoints at the beginning of the semester? Are students using these to study or does everyone use the textbooks as well? Just curious how it works at CSPM. I know they don't have recorded lectures which seems like a bummer. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

I had an interview at CSPM yesterday and the first year students told us that at the beginning of the semester, the profs gives them a HUGE stack of notes that are in the same order as the powerpoints. One girl said she writes on these notes during the lectures and when she studies at home, she would also review the powerpoints. I was also concerned about the podcasts not being available, but they said everything you needed to know are on the notes. You have tests consisting of 100 questions every Monday morning during a two-hour block. When there are required reading from textbooks, you'll probably be asked one question from the books on something really important.

During my interview with the new dean, he said that they are planning to take away the 2nd year clinicals since it's mostly observations and instead expanding on the simulation labs so students can practice basic procedures like suturing. Since classes are small and grades aren't curved, everyone seems to be very helpful and encouraging. Teachers want to make sure everyone does well and the new Dean is very willing to listen. Overall, CSPM looks like a great school. I thought they'd have same day acceptance, but we don't find out until Friday morning.

I had an interview at CSPM yesterday and the first year students told us that at the beginning of the semester, the profs gives them a HUGE stack of notes that are in the same order as the powerpoints. One girl said she writes on these notes during the lectures and when she studies at home, she would also review the powerpoints. I was also concerned about the podcasts not being available, but they said everything you needed to know are on the notes. You have tests consisting of 100 questions every Monday morning during a two-hour block. When there are required reading from textbooks, you'll probably be asked one question from the books on something really important.

During my interview with the new dean, he said that they are planning to take away the 2nd year clinicals since it's mostly observations and instead expanding on the simulation labs so students can practice basic procedures like suturing. Since classes are small and grades aren't curved, everyone seems to be very helpful and encouraging. Teachers want to make sure everyone does well and the new Dean is very willing to listen. Overall, CSPM looks like a great school. I thought they'd have same day acceptance, but we don't find out until Friday morning.

Hey, appreciate the information. I talked to the dean earlier this year and he seems like a great guy (from Scholl College and I believe past ACFAS president). It actually will be more intelligent to can some of the 2nd year rotations while expanding on the awesome sim lab and workshops. As of right now, the 2nd year students have clinicals Monday/Friday with lecture Tuesday-Thursday. The lecture hours are brutal Tuesday and Thursday (go 8am - 7pm with an hour for lunch) while Wednesday is about 4 hours total. If some of the clinicals are removed, then the lectures could be more evenly spread out (makes sense!). Another thing to remember is the 3rd year has 1 day of lecture - again 7am to 8pm jam packed.

I am pretty positive the Monday exams (in all subjects) just started this year as well. Makes weekends rough but keeps you on top of your studies. The students seemed to think it was a good move on part of CSPM to do this.

About same day acceptance, I interviewed this year and was accepted same day. There were 4 of us in my interview group and we were all accepted. To note, I inteviewed very early in the application cycle (end of September).

Overall, I was definitely impressed with the program at CSPM.

I'm killing some time here in between studying for finals.

Thought I would ask, how exactly do you guys study?

I usually read through the text and notetake but it is very time consuming.

What I plan on doing for next semester (in undergrad) is reading through the text, highlight important details, back this up by reading over lecture notes (ppt handouts), and then making outlines on major points and also answering study guide questions. Essentially, I will eliminate notetaking directly from the text from my routine.

I always read things where people say undergrad is a breeze, don't get me wrong, I do very well in my classes but I also put in a lot of time studying and reviewing too. With this in mind, do you think I will struggle in pod school?

I've seen people who dont study, get good grades and are basically podiatrically ******ed and can't pass the boards.

To each their own.

1) study 25hrs+ /wk, sleep 45hrs+ /wk (grades " passing")

2) study 45hrs+ /wk, sleep 25hrs+ /wk (grades " better than passing")

3) study 30hrs+ /wk, sleep 30hrs+ / wk (grades " A average")

(source the underground observation lab)

1) study 25hrs+ /wk, sleep 45hrs+ /wk (grades " passing")

2) study 45hrs+ /wk, sleep 25hrs+ /wk (grades " better than passing")

3) study 30hrs+ /wk, sleep 30hrs+ / wk (grades " A average")

(source the underground observation lab)

1) 70 hours total
2) 70 hours total why does 15 hours more than option 3 yield better than passing when option 3 gives ya an A student?
3) 60 hours total

...? not to mention that the "passing option" still only leaves 6.43 hours a night for sleep which is not much
and you are implying the kid with option 2 to sleep around 3 1/2 hours a night

Last edited:

then 6 on sat and no Sundays.

we have tests every Monday AM, and this works great for me.

Repetition is the key

so is it safe to say then that you study approx : 16-21 hours a week..what is your current GPA with that practice? you said you are doing well, and knock on that orthotic by all means, but what do you mean by well?

curious future pod student

I put in anywhere from 25-45 hours of study time in per week, depending on my exam schedule. I don't know what my GPA is since I'm still in my first year, but based on my exams so far I am looking at around a mid "B" average. I had a tough start because I wasn't prepared for the amount of studying it actually takes to get this much material down. Its hard to stay on top of so much information. It is a lot of work, but not impossible to handle.

so is it safe to say then that you study approx : 16-21 hours a week..what is your current GPA with that practice? you said you are doing well, and knock on that orthotic by all means, but what do you mean by well?

curious future pod student

I am waiting for someone to post that they don't remember when they spent more than 3 hrs per day studying and they have an "A average"

I am waiting for someone to post that they don't remember when they spent more than 3 hrs per day studying and they have an "A average"

I will do it then..just finished my first semester...I really only studied during the weekends and I am looking at a 4.0..its definitely possible depending on how well you can learn the info. You also can have time for a life as well

I will do it then..just finished my first semester...I really only studied during the weekends and I am looking at a 4.0..its definitely possible depending on how well you can learn the info. You also can have time for a life as well

I guess there is always one:idea:

Did you attend all the lectures?

Yah, for the most part. I missed a couple here and there.

Do you guys have lectures recorded at Barry? Just wondering because a few schools have this and one could stay home or go to the library and "watch" lectures if they choose.

Do you guys have lectures recorded at Barry? Just wondering because a few schools have this and one could stay home or go to the library and "watch" lectures if they choose.

Nah, we don't have recorded lectures. A couple of the professors wrote their own notes and they teach straight from them, so technically you could stay home and just read the lecture if you had to. But at the same time, you risk missing some info that may be added in.

Last edited:
All these threads turn nuts.

I had it good. I get dropped off at school and don't get a ride back home until midnight. I make good use of my time being idle on campus by studying everything.. maybe study ahead esp when I'm that bored. When the weekends come I'm free to do whatever I want.