How many hours/week should I shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theta1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I emailed several dentists in the area this weekend and got some replies telling me to call and set up a time to shadow.

How many day/week and hours/day should I be shadowing if they allow me to shadow for more than one day?

Members don't see this ad.

I would try for around 40 hours or so in total over a period of at least 5 weeks. You don't want to overload yourself with intense shadowing (it's interesting, but I would imagine it would be boring to observe 10+ hours/week). When you schedule time with the dentists, I would ask the receptionist or dentist if you could come in when there are a variety of different procedures being done. The dentist that I observed definitely had more exciting and less exciting days to come in. Good luck.

Try shadowing about 3-4 hours a week over several months. I think it is important to shadow over an extended period of time so you get to see what an office goes through over a period of several months. You get a better picture like this rather than trying to concentrate your hours over a short period of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep talking people... i need help on this subjet also. :p

minimum 30. if you can get 100+ spread over a one year span, that would be probably be ideal. (it shows that dental isnt plan b)

Maybe they could guide you as to what they will be doing and when. Also, you could just shadow for X amount of time and when that time is over and you feel he'd be willing to have you and you wanted to see more, ask if it is ok to stay a while longer. If they're nice enough to have you in the first place I cant see why they would object.

I don't think there is really any set amount needed but it can't hurt to have too many. I would say anything around 100 is def plenty!! Maybe even overboard.

Taken directly from the mouth of a d-school admissions director: “40 minimum.”

I suppose the answer would be to shadow as much as necessary for admissions to feel you are dedicated, interested and introduced to the field of dentistry. Subjective, I know. Best to err on the side of over shadowing. Like the hocky guy said, 40hrs seems to be a safe minimum, but shoot for more. I think that is what OSU listed as their minimum. Try to watch as much as possible without getting board and tired from standing around looking over shoulders all day. Also helps to hang out at a variety of specialties.

Last edited: