How many hrs/semester is rigorous while working full-time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

benelswick

Anybody working full time 30-40 hrs per week while taking premed classes? I know we have to demonstrate the ability to handle heavy course loads but how many are considered to be a good load while working 30+ hours? Thanks--Ben.

Members don't see this ad.

i work about 40 hours a week and i took about 7 hours of class once...i don't recommend it but it's DOable. Just not very fun semester.

This past spring semester I worked 40-45 hours a week between two jobs and I was taking 19 credit hours. I dont recommend this as I messed up and got a B because it ended up being more than I could handle, plus towards the end I was about to snap at anybody that even smiled at me. I was sleeping 4 or 5 hours a night, sometimes less and studying and working constantly. I would say if you are going to work full time, then take the minimum full load, which is 12 hours, I believe. This fall semester I will be taking 20 credit hours, but will only be working about 20 hours a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
holy cow, i didn't even take 19 credit hours in undergrad? what's ur major? I once took 19 but that was freshman easy year...after that even 17 in the engineering schools kicked my butt.

you're brave and a better person than i then.

I'd say anything over 15 and working full time is going to be very tough. I was working about 20 hrs a week and was taking 30 units at three different schools (7 of those being EMT and the rest for my undergrad degree). Wouldn't recommend doing that. Damn near killed me. Grades weren't so hot either because I was spread way to thin. Even if it takes you longer, it's better to not be super stressed and end up with lower grades. You'll also run a high risk of getting sick because you won't sleep enough and getting sick will certainly mess up everything.

I worked 50-60 hrs a week during my first 3 years of undergrad. Most of the hours were on the weekend and evenings, although on of my jobs was between classes on some weekdays. I took between 12-14 credit hours. At first, I tried to take 15-16 but I wasn't doing that great so I cut down. Senior year I only worked 30, which was much better. I was sick all the time the whole time I was in college. I didn't sleep much, and I ate like crap. In a way though, I think I'm glad to know I can survive like that. During my junior year, my health was better because I was more used to it and had my priorities straight so I was eating well and exercising. Now that I'm on rotations, I pretty much know what my body can handle and what it can't. I wouldn't wish that load on anyone, but who am I to guess what someone else can handle. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy though. To quote someone else, "Damn near killed me". My sentiments exactly.

Amazing to see how much our bodies can take, isn't it? Top Ramen and McDonald's doesn't do a body good... :laugh:

In undergraduate I believe the most rigorous semester was when I took 21 credits, worked full time between mentoring and a lab assistant job in organic chemistry in addition to 30 hours per week for research. As a graduate student, I took 15 credits, worked 20 hours a week teaching and performed research 50-60 hours a week. You can accomplish any amount of work-load so long as you are willing to sacrifice and have the desire and drive to succeed.

Herp

Thanks for the input, but you know I think I left out the most important factor in my question--I want to have a healthy homelife with my wife. In other words I realize its possible to be a robot and do nothing but consider your own career goals, but what about the importance of nurturing those around you as well. In the end I suppose its a highly personal question. But I still am concerned what medical schools regard as rigorous since most of their applicants will not have the same responsibilties and issues to consider as some of us.--Ben;)

While I think it is important that you demonstrate that you can handle a decent load, I think it is equally important that you show that you are committed to actually serving others. I think alot of times we get in this mindset of thinking that if we show that we can pull in good grades while working mucho hours in a healthcare setting that we will be golden. Unfortunately, I don't think that this is always the case. From what I understand, admissions committees (especially osteopathic) want applicants who, yes, have at times undertaken and overcome tough loads but also applicants who have shown an earnest desire to see to the well-being of others.

I guess what I'm saying is that balance is the dream. Don't get hung up on impressing anybody with working a great number of simultaneous hours in work and school. Unless, this formula is necessary to maintain a family...I would be involved in activities that actually demonstrate your care for others...rather than simply mentioning your desires in a sentence of your personal statement.

This semester, I'm taking 15cr, and I'm going to try to work full-time at a local EMS company. But I'm only doing that because you have a lot of down time (for homework, sleep) with them. You're lucky if you get 6 calls in 24hrs. I'll also be doing part-time work in psychology research at my college, and working on a research project in biology. I wouldn't recommend my load to anyone though...I just do it because I'm a little nutz.

Last year, I took an EMT class, worked part-time, took 15 cr Fall and Winter semesters, was extremely active in a local ham radio club, and did all kinds of stuff...my GPA went dooooown...so be careful of the work. ESPECIALLY if you want to have a decent life at home w/ your wife!!!!!

raDiOnut :cool: