-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
how many letters for REc from dentists do you need? thanks
Started by amoxicillin
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I had one from a dentist.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I didn't have any. I had one from my physics teacher, one from nutrition teacher, one from EKG teacher, and one from a buddy who is a family practice physician....I now know it's not true, but I was told that schools didn't care for recommendations from any doctors. Oh well, I think as long as there good it doesn't really matter.
oops, sorry, i misread the question.
LOR requirement is different from school to school. You should check their website to be sure. Most likely, I would say 2 science (ask them to define science too, cos in one sch engineering is not science while psychology is.) and 1 extra. LLU requires a religious leader. Some schools require dentist and/or employer. They basically want someone who knows u well. They want to see how other people perceive you in addition to your stats.
LOR requirement is different from school to school. You should check their website to be sure. Most likely, I would say 2 science (ask them to define science too, cos in one sch engineering is not science while psychology is.) and 1 extra. LLU requires a religious leader. Some schools require dentist and/or employer. They basically want someone who knows u well. They want to see how other people perceive you in addition to your stats.
What school counts psych as a science?ecdoesit said:ask them to define science too, cos in one sch engineering is not science while psychology is
I think Baylor requires one from a dentist
I don't think so. In order for the LOR to stand out, the person who is writing it, whether it may be a professor or a dentist, must have an in-depth knowledge about you - your personality, skills, motivation, academic standing, etc, so that they can write a detail LOR about YOU.
Reputation will mean nothing if that person or dentist does not know you who writes a brief, impersonal letter. However, adcom will likely to remember a LOR which provides detail and personal information about you - even if it might not have come from a dentist.
Reputation will mean nothing if that person or dentist does not know you who writes a brief, impersonal letter. However, adcom will likely to remember a LOR which provides detail and personal information about you - even if it might not have come from a dentist.
Yeah, I didn't have any LORs from dentists either.
ecdoesit said:LLU requires a religious leader.
What does religion have to do with your chances of getting into that school?
You have to believe in GOD?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mo007 said:What does religion have to do with your chances of getting into that school?
You have to believe in GOD?
I believe they are the 7th day adventists school.
http://www.llu.edu/welcome.htm?PHPSESSID=952e3ef89bbb900c94bf021fcb9d6de7
Religion is part of their curriculum, even though they dont require anyone to be a 7th day adventist. They have some questions on your spiritual belief on their secondaries too. I wish I know about this before I apply.
EC
I don't think a letter by a dentist is necessarily required, but if you think you can get a good letter from a dentist you shadowed or will shadow then I highly recommend it. An insightful letter (one should be enough) from a dentist will give the admissions committee more of an idea that you really took time to explore and volunteer in the dental field. Professor's recommendation letters usually evaluate your academic abilities more than anything else. A dentist however can assess how enthusiastic you are about the field, your patient-communication skills, and perhaps even hand skills (he may let you help out a bit with certain procedures). On the other hand, I agree with the previous responses in that if you get a very general letter that doesn't say much about you, it won't help you much. Just my two cents though. Best of luck.