How many patients can a Physical Therapist see at one time?

Lillith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Medicare is one on one, but what about all the private insurance companies? How many patients can one physical therapist (or PTA) see at one time and still bill the 97110 code. My employer states that one on one means the patient has to have the ability to receive one on one if needed during the course of their treatment but that several patients can be exercising with the supervision of a therapist and still all be billed for 97110. (for example, if one therapist had 4 patients at the same time and they all did 1 hour of exercise, they could all be billed 97110 for 60 minutes because they all had the ability to receive at least 15 min of one on one from the PT / PTA. Please tell me what you think is legal. I know one on one is always better and I am not looking for a lecture in ethics. I just want something in writing with other therapist's opinions on what they feel is legal so I can give it to my boss.

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably have this moved to the PT section. I doubt kids in high school have much of an opinion on the topic.