how many people are applying as a graduate student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewKidin2block

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on the forum apply as a graduate student? Do you think your graduate eduction strength your credential in any way?

Members don't see this ad.

I did it last year and I don't think that it helped all that much. It really depends on what degree you have. . I have a phd in biochemistry and at my interviews we talked more about clinical experiences then we did about my research. For me it just made me 100% certain that I wanted to go to med school instead of being a professor in academia.

Masters in engineering and no I don't think it helped any.

Members don't see this ad :)
Masters in Physiology...I think it helped a lot due to having many publications, and research related presentations at major conferences. I have very little clinical experience so had it not been for my research experience related to graduate school, I think I would have failed miserably. Lord knows, my MCAT is not what carriend my ass.

Caveat to this: This year is my first year applying, so many interviewers actually commented on the fact that they thought it was nice that I didn't just go get my masters "to get into medical school" but because I was interested in the field.

Masters in Biochem and Molecular Biology. And yes mine helped because it showed I could handle full loads of biology coursework. Plus I didn't have great bio preparation during my undergrad, basically only had bio when I studied for the MCAT =/ so this helped me out ALOT.

Finishing PhD in Biochem/Mol Gen..... Not sure if it's helping! This wasn't my plan, just sort of happened!

I'm getting my MA in English right now and I've had four interviews so far and 3 more next year (and trust me it was not my stats that got me those interviews). Initially, I didn't plan on going to grad school either. I think it helped, but I think it's best if you're in a program because you love it. So when interview time rolls around, you have good reasons for your decision. I heard that some schools look at grad students differently, and many of the students I met at interviews had an additional degree.
BUT I've already been rejected from one of the schools I interviewed at and am still waiting on all the other ones. So who knows!

I have an MS in biology. I think it may have helped in some sense though I can't say for certain.

I'm a reapplicant getting my MPH...I thought it would help a lot, but I've only been invited to one interview...ughhh. The MPH has been great though, wonderful program.

Masters in Medicine... which without a doubt has helped me tremendously. I applied twice with just an undergrad degree and got rejected bigtime both years. Now on my third application cycle I'm finally getting love and have already been accepted to one of my two favorite schools! :)

I'm doing an MPH right now. I think it may have helped but not in the way many people think. I don't think it necessarily got my foot in any doors (I don't think I got interviews because of it) but I think that once there for an interview, I was able to talk about my experiences in public health and that helped a lot. It also helps with those dreaded health policy questions since a lot of my classes focus on that. I ended up being invited to interview at 7 places out of the 16 places I applied to and ended up getting two acceptances so far.

Depends on the school- the first time I applied and didn't get in, I contacted some Deans of Admissions and they basically said, go back, get your Masters in something you're interested in, and demonstrate you can successfully handle very difficult coursework. The caveat? 4/5 Administrators recommended not doing an MPH. They didn't justify that, and I'm certainly not going to attempt to, I'm just sharing what I was told (and this was three years ago). My two cents: do something you're interested in, rock your coursework, make nice with your GPD, and become the greatest applicant to med school there ever was:cool:

Anyone on the forum apply as a graduate student? Do you think your graduate eduction strength your credential in any way?
I applied last year while finishing my PhD in chemistry. I think in my case that my graduate record did help, but my app is unusual because I didn't have any grades in UG. In general though, going to grad school is not really a back door to get into med school. So for those of you considering grad school, don't do it unless you really love that field enough to live and breathe it for several years. :)